• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Suggestions for HDS Part Deux...

Tejasandre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like this ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1558458276.315814.jpgImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1558458284.258602.jpg

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Hey how hard would it be to put a small led in the tailcap for a beacon? Obviously with a way to toggle it on and off for parasitic drain prevention. That way you can put it face down on the table and know right where she is.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey how hard would it be to put a small led in the tailcap for a beacon? Obviously with a way to toggle it on and off for parasitic drain prevention. That way you can put it face down on the table and know right where she is.

Would be a major re-engineering of the tail and switch... how about tritium slots in the tail cap instead?

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would be a major re-engineering of the tail and switch... how about tritium slots in the tail cap instead?

That would actually work really well. How bout a secondary colored led in the head as well like a competing brand?
But def tritium then think of the cash generated from people wanting to upgrade their old tails!

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes, a few tritium slots in the tail cap would be great. Also, maybe install some type of pattern on the tail cap to prevent the light from rolling on a night stand. Maybe I can simply add one drop of JB Weld to the tail cap.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're not dumb, Steve. I only found out about them through investigating Ra Lights for mods........
It's one of the Ra Lights. Dunno if it's a Twisty or a Clicky.
They used an Osram Emitter which had a tiny Red emitter on the side. I thinkl the red was for a status update signal or something, but Henry took advantage of it and used it as an optional red low.
osram.jpg

P

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Means I m thinking or wondering without showing everyone I m dumb! What's a 85TR?
Here's picture of one found on *THE* Ra/HDS Collection Thread.

They had a tiny red LED that Henry managed to utilize as an ultra-low level long before we had sub-lumen lights even imagined and it was a mechanical three level light called the Twisty, which could be thought of as an interim light between the era or NovaTac and the Ra Clicky.

27y5nhy.jpg

Last edited:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
You're not dumb, Steve. I only found out about them through investigating Ra Lights for mods........
It's one of the Ra Lights. Dunno if it's a Twisty or a Clicky.
They used an Osram Emitter which had a tiny Red emitter on the side. I think the red was for a status update signal or something, but Henry took advantage of it and used it as an optional red low.
osram.jpg
There it is! The good old 85Tr Ra Twisty!

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was a fluke with the LED. The reverse protection diode in the LED just happened to emit red light instead of infrared. Even the spec sheet didn't state this on the emitter from Osram. It was a member here who initially discovered this and then Henry incorporated that fluke into the Twisty in 2007.