Sunwayman D40A - Another 4AA compact thrower

texbaz

Newly Enlightened
New Sunwayman D40A - Another 4AA compact thrower

TurboBB, I watched the review great thanks, have you been able to observe the red indicator on the switch as far as battery life indication. I did not hear you mention it in the video.

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: New Sunwayman D40A - Another 4AA compact thrower

Mr Floppy - Sunwayman is currently running a contest for NW D40A so hopefully they might be releasing this in the future

texbaz - I plan on doing a dedicated supplementary vid on this aspect soon

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast

NW D40A so hopefully they might be releasing this in the future

I'm in draw. Given the number of entrants so far, they would be barmy if they didn't sell it in neutral.

mcdonap

Newly Enlightened

Just got an email today letting me know my D40A has shipped.
I currently have the Nitecore EA4 (the XM-L2 U2) and the EagleTac GX25A3. I look forward to comparing all 3 of them.

tjhabak

Enlightened

I got my D40A from Doingoutdoor.com today. Great little light. A few quick thoughts...UI is cool, but buttons require very little pressure (slightly worried about accidental activation in pocket even in lockout mode). Quick side by side comparison with EA4, reveals almost no difference in output. The op reflector slightly diffuses the beam, and the hot spot is slightly larger, but practially the same beam usability wise. The D40A exhibits the usual high qualitu Sunwayman feel, and for $57 I'm glad I picked it up. Keep in mind, I'm one of the few people who actually still likes my EA4 too. For me the verdict is still out as to which I like better.

elbowtko

Newly Enlightened

Just got an email today letting me know my D40A has shipped.
I currently have the Nitecore EA4 (the XM-L2 U2) and the EagleTac GX25A3. I look forward to comparing all 3 of them.

I would look forward to your review if you post it up, I had recently bought a EA4w but it ran into some problems and I had to return it.

Been holding out for the sunwayman neutral version to come out. Moonlight mode and neutral tints are important to me (tint more than moonlight), but when I bought the EA4, there was no hope of a neutral coming out, but now there is.

Bumble

Enlightened

just ordered one for $49 from fasttech.. give it a couple of weeks i will post my findings :)

kj2

Flashaholic

just ordered one for $49 from fasttech.. give it a couple of weeks i will post my findings :)

Mine will probably come in the upcoming week. Can hardly wait for it :D
Hope the light won't disappoint me.

Bumble

Enlightened

Mine will probably come in the upcoming week. Can hardly wait for it :D
Hope the light won't disappoint me.

i have a very good feeling that it wont ;) lights powered by multiple aa batteries are going to be great this year i think :)

elbowtko

Newly Enlightened

i have a very good feeling that it wont ;) lights powered by multiple aa batteries are going to be great this year i think :)

Do you know if there are any other ones out there that are coming out? Aside from the Nitecore and the Eagletac?

I am going to get my hands on the neutral white version hopefully whenever it comes out. So I kind of have my hearts set on it, however I am looking for a review in comparison to E4Aw

Bumble

Enlightened

keep a lookout on niteye...zebralight (heres hoping) 4sevens...etc... theres a slight "aa powered war" approaching.

snakeplissken83

Newly Enlightened

keep a lookout on niteye...zebralight (heres hoping) 4sevens...etc... theres a slight "aa powered war" approaching.

yeah, i wonder what's with that? I suppose they could be after non-flashaholics...who don't want to pay that much for a light and DEFINATELY don't want to buy expensive L-ion batteries and chargers, but still appreciate the awesome performance these lights offer.

My guess also is that these 4 cell aa lights would be more useful for long-term backpackers out in the bush. 18650 rechargeable's aren't much use when you've got nowhere to plug in the charger. Their only downside (and it isn't much of a downside) is that you need 4 aa's to do the work of one 18650, hence slghtly more bulk. But it's almost like, who cares? I can buy good primary aa's so bloody cheap it almost makes you wonder if they aren't better in many ways...ALSO, the extra bulk means larger head diameter, which means more throw/intensity.

(And that, gents, is a very good example of how we talk ourselves into buying a new light...)

elbowtko

Newly Enlightened

yeah, i wonder what's with that? I suppose they could be after non-flashaholics...who don't want to pay that much for a light and DEFINATELY don't want to buy expensive L-ion batteries and chargers, but still appreciate the awesome performance these lights offer.

My guess also is that these 4 cell aa lights would be more useful for long-term backpackers out in the bush. 18650 rechargeable's aren't much use when you've got nowhere to plug in the charger. Their only downside (and it isn't much of a downside) is that you need 4 aa's to do the work of one 18650, hence slghtly more bulk. But it's almost like, who cares? I can buy good primary aa's so bloody cheap it almost makes you wonder if they aren't better in many ways...ALSO, the extra bulk means larger head diameter, which means more throw/intensity.

(And that, gents, is a very good example of how we talk ourselves into buying a new light...)

Quite true, I mainly intend to be using this light for backpacking/outdoors. This means while I have a headlamp for upclose, I need something to help with the trails out far. This means a throwy powerful flashlight to help find my way. A neutral tint also helps with perception of colors. The AA comes in because if I ever needed to say, ask a friend for some batteries or if it is equipment I need to pick up along the way, AAs are common enough for that to be available.

Another is as an emergency light, AAs are more common and salvageable. With the ability to throw, it can be used for searching purposes and with a low moonlight capability, this flashlight can also last a long time if need be.

These are the main reasons for my interest in the sunwayman neutral D40A. There are no other flashlights that can do this as effectively as the sunwayman. AFAIK.

Did that convince you to get one of these? LOL

Bumble

Enlightened

Interesting. Not sure about the switch.. Looks nice but I suspect the price to be $$$. If it comes in at the price of the Nitcore EA4 then it goes on my list.

ea4=$46 at Fasttech D40a= $49 at Fasttech :)

PapaLumen

Enlightened

Actually I WON one in the SWM givaway so price isn't so important anymore :D

lightseeker2009

Enlightened

Very nice indeed. However I'm still waiting for the V40A.

tabraha

Newly Enlightened

Vid review still uploading so please check back in a bit if not ready:

I also managed to get an outdoor comparo vid and some shots which I'll post later today.

Cheers,
Tim

Thanks for the vid. My mystery box from Shenzen showed up today. Can't wait to try out the D40A tonight.