Sunwayman D40A - Another 4AA compact thrower

kj2

Flashaholic
Re: New Sunwayman D40A - Another 4AA compact thrower

Step down was at 3 1/2 minutes and it did get pretty warm.
The D40A gets hot indeed. I didn't run Turbo mode for more than 2 minutes yesterday. For what I could see during my walk, is that the D40A easily throws further than the GX25A3. It also lights-up
a slightly bigger area in front of you. Hope I can do a side-by-side with the D40A, GX25A3 and EA4 soon.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic

Has anyone tried doing something like this?
flashlight020.jpg
That's how I've been carrying a couple of my lights for over a year and I really like it.

Quick wrap,
oLe5vCM.jpg
Got this wrap on a couple smaller lights - MiNi AA's for one. Like it too, especially when I want to cover the whole tube.

elbowtko

Newly Enlightened

hmmm...maybe a pics worth a look. Doesn't feel any harder to use than the wrist loop and seem to trap itself when you try and drop the light. Maybe the trick is that I'm not using a lanyard with a clip attached...

d40a1.jpg

That seems like a ridiculous compromise...although I won't knock it until I try it.

The point of the lanyard is that if you lose your grip, the lanyard will hold it for you. This solution seems to be more like the lanyard holds your grip rather than the flashlight.

Showmethelight

Newly Enlightened

kafrdh.jpg

Have they forgotten it, that this light has that feature? :p

anyone else find the red light never comes on in their light? I'm using month old XX Eneloops that are running the light perfectly and I know the batteries are good and fully charged, I can try regular eneloops but I don't see why lower mah would matter.

kj2

Flashaholic

anyone else find the red light never comes on in their light? I'm using month old XX Eneloops that are running the light perfectly and I know the batteries are good and fully charged, I can try regular eneloops but I don't see why lower mah would matter.

Haven't seen the red led on my D40a ;) batteries are still well over 80%

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast

On mine the red LED turns on as the batteries are low, the main LED itself then flickers briefly but noticably in turbo after about a minute longer before dropping down a mode. Then the red LED turns off for a while, then it comes back on and after another minute or so the main LED dims another level. This cycle goes on until it reaches low mode which I assume will run for quite a while before the red LED comes on again and the batteries are almost fully drained.

bbb74

Enlightened

Can anyone describe the 2 strobe modes to me? I'm presuming the "police" strobe is random, but what about the other one, how fast is it? I actually use strobe on bikes, but prefer the slower type strobes, like zebralight around 4hz.

Showmethelight

Newly Enlightened

the above diagram seems to indicate that the red light is on "full" with fully charged batteries then as the batteries run down it flickers/ reduces output of the red light etc.

Thats 100% how I interpreted it, glad to see it works different and only comes on when power is dying.

to see the strobe functions check out the great video review posted earlier in the thread

kj2

Flashaholic

Can anyone describe the 2 strobe modes to me? I'm presuming the "police" strobe is random, but what about the other one, how fast is it? I actually use strobe on bikes, but prefer the slower type strobes, like zebralight around 4hz.
I like that Police Strobe for signaling. The 'normal' strobe is quite fast.

Police strobe is; 4 fast strobe flashes, than pauze for around a second, 4 fast strobe flashes, pauze, etc etc.

Last edited:

Calvin0807

Newly Enlightened

WHICH ONE I SHOULD CHOOSE ?
EA4 OR D40A ?

kj2

Flashaholic

WHICH ONE I SHOULD CHOOSE ?
EA4 OR D40A ?

Read the threads and make a decision ;)
I prefer the D40a. Am planning to make a (short)review on the D40a. Should be up today/tomorrow.
Edit: photos are made. Now time for some text :)

Last edited:

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast

Could they come with a 18650 version?

While clearly the Sunwayman D40A and Eagletac SX25L3
are in two different categories, I can't help
but notice they are similar in size and shape.

SX25 : 144mm x 46mm
D40A : 121mm x 42mm

Eagletac SX25L3
1 x LED: MT-G2 P0
2,750 Lumens
3 x 18650

9048754394_b22dce9bf4_n.jpg

Last edited:

ChibiM

Enlightened

That is interesting.. just 2 cm shorter for the AA`s.

Bumble

Enlightened

mines just shipped :) now the wait :( the price at FT has gone through the roof !! lucky to get mine at $49....

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast

I love tailcap draw numbers. I'll be very interested in what you make of the driver. Also how moddable it is.

Have been extremely busy but as a quick update, the D40A draws ~2.9-3A on fresh cells (Alk or NiMh). Interestingly enough, it doesn't seem to like the Energizer Lithium cells which are also 1.5V nominal but 1.82v resting. Upon turning on the light with these cells, the low voltage LED will immediately light up and it'll drop down from Turbo within seconds.

I'll investigate further on this as time allows but as for the driver, totally custom fab by SWM so it's doubtful anyone (besides EE's) will be modding it anytime soon:

The LED should be swappable though:

EDIT: Also, the battery carrier as far as I can tell doesn't feature a fuse like on the V60C/T60CS carriers.

Cheers,
Tim

bbb74

Enlightened

Turbo88, so what was the heat sinking like, esp compared to the Nitecore EA4's poor effort?

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast

mines just shipped :) now the wait :( the price at FT has gone through the roof !! lucky to get mine at $49....

Maybe because of MAP? It still is about $58 with coupon code at doingoutdoor.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Have been extremely busy but as a quick update, the D40A draws ~2.9-3A on fresh cells (Alk or NiMh). Interestingly enough, it doesn't seem to like the Energizer Lithium cells which are also 1.5V nominal but 1.82v resting. Upon turning on the light with these cells, the low voltage LED will immediately light up and it'll drop down from Turbo within seconds.
Wow, 3A. What do the L91's sag to at 3A? I thought the max drain from the L91 was 3A, and the older ones were 2A.

Going to need a good set of batteries here.

Latest posts