Sunwayman T20C (1x18650, 2xR/CR123A, XP-G R5) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS +

Midnight_Flasher

Newly Enlightened
I bought T20C since I am always looking for a lights than can handle snow and in general winter conditions. Well, I have yet not a chance to try out how the switch works at -30 celsicus temperature, but at least I can guess that it did _not_ not solve issues caused by wet snow that falls from the trees and sometimes gets switch to stuck. Sure bad news is that the switch dont work with 2 X UltraFire 18350-cell configuration that othewise gives reasonable runtime and good voltage boost. They are just too tall: cells fit into light, but the switch works badly, modes dont change properly ans sometimes the light is impossible to switch off. Similar lights that I have are Klarus XT10, Maelstrom X7 and Fenix TK21 U2. Fenix is the lumens king, I guess, but Sunwayman feels like a tool that gets work done. I think it will be used a lot during next winter season..

John Spartan

Newly Enlightened
I received a T20C this past week and found a few issues:

a) The tail switch feels mushy, not crisp. As Selfbuilt said, one really has to push to fully depress the tail switch to get constant on consistently. On the other hand, this tends to reduce accidental activations. Unfortunately, one cannot adjust tail switch activation pressure to one's preference, similar to adjusting a rifle trigger's break point and let-off crispness.

b) The ring to which one can attach the lanyard tended to unscrew easily - not something I like. Wound up using non-permanent loc-tite to lock it in place.

c) The knurling on the tail cap and body could have been more aggressive and the number of length-wise smooth planes on the body reduced from 4 to none for better "grippy-ness".

d) Really would have liked a suitable MOLLE/PALS capable holster for it rather than looking for a generic holster or getting one custom made.

Other than the above, I look forward to using it during hunting season this fall.

Roood

Newly Enlightened
It's cold and raining yet again so I took apart the tail cap, it is purely mechanical so the drain issue may be in question although studying the way this switch works it may cause some constant contact perhaps on the piston end? Let me know your results on yours and I'll check this 18650 cell.
the mechanical tail cap looks nice. would you happen to know if the internals fit a surefire or solarforce tailcap?

jrandom

Newly Enlightened
I picked one of these up last week, I really like 90% of it. Although I seem to be having some issues with the tail switch.

Firstly if I shake the light relatively mild ( ie enough you feel the single 18650 move) the light will blink on. Really not that happy about that, has anyone else noticed this?

Secondly the tail switch after I engage it to turn the light on, it turns on as expected and as mentioned a few posts up it feels a little mushy. So hitting the switch again should turn it off, it doesn't, the light does go off after I give it a bit of a shake.

Any ideas would be welcome.

EDIT: Nevermind, I dissassembled the tail switch and stretched the internal clicky spring, seems to be much better now, sorry if that was a rookie question.

Last edited: