Sunwayman V20C or Nitecore SRT6 (or other)?

TSD

Newly Enlightened
I've been looking into lights that have the magnetic selector ring UI, and I believe I've narrowed the field down to two: Sunwayman V20C and Nitecore SRT6. I like what I have read about the function of the magnetic ring UI on these lights, and I like their shape, size, style, and output range as well.

So, does anyone have both of these lights, and if so, what is your preference? Does one out shine the other in most applications? The beams are a bit different with the Sunwayman appearing to be warmer, and less throwy (is the beam profile considerably different from the SRT6?) with a lux of about 6,000, versus the Nitecore SRT6 at 17,000 lux. I am assuming the V20C will do 50 meters well, but how far can it reach out effectively?

If you want to suggest another light, my application is general outdoor use, such as walking home from work through fields and woods. I will also be using this light along with a headlamp during camping trips when I need a little more throw. I am heavily biased to to a magnetic ring UI (though also considering Zebralight SC600II), a low of 1 lumen or less, a high of 450+ lumens, and throw that illuminates well out to at least 50 meters, and reasonably well (a bit subjective I know) out to 100 meters (I don't need more than that).

Thanks!

TSD

Newly Enlightened
Well, I went ahead and bought both of these lights, so I thought I would follow up with a brief comparison for anyone else who may be deciding between them.

I purchased the SRT6 believing it would replace my V20C due to its higher output, newer magnetic ring design, and greater throw. It has not. I have found that I like both of these lights, and actually prefer the V20C overall (just barely). For me, the critical differences are the size, tint, output, throw, and beam profile. There are additional differences between these two lights that some may find important (I attempted to include them below), but for me, they aren't critical factors in selecting one light over the other.

When I will choose the V20C:

Anytime other then when total output and throw is most important. I prefer the smaller, more portable size of the V20C. Holster, pocket, and in-hand feel are better with the V20C, especially hand carry as it is less front heavy than the SRT6. I also prefer its neutral beam tint (better color rendition), and the smoother transition from spot to flood of its beam profile (less tunnel vision). To my surprise, I like the 90 ° range of travel for the mode selector ring better than the 120° range of the SRT6. I find that 90° provides quicker selection, adequate spacing of output, and I never have to adjust/reset my hand or fingers like I do when going through the full output selection range of the SRT6. Lastly, the range of low output for the V20C is much greater than it is for the SRT6, but I find the SRT6 low range adequate, just not as versatile.

When I will choose the SRT6:
If brightness or throw are important for my task, I will choose the SRT6. The SRT6 offers noticeably superior output and throw, and considering my 1.5 lux preference on whatever I am looking at, the SRT6 that equates to about 50% (35 meters) more range (it may be more for you). I also like the ring adjustment control on the SRT6, as it feels much smoother and more refined. Lastly, the pocket clip is a nice feature present on the SRT6 and curiously absent on the Sunwayman V20C.

To summarize, here is an outline of the differences:

Sunwayman V20C Advantages:

1. SIZE: Smaller, lighter, and more comfortable in pocket, holster, and hand
  2. TINT: Neutral white tint gives superior color rendition, especially in woods
  3. BEAM PROFILE: Better corona effect with more gradual transition from spot to spill
  4. MODE SELECTION RANGE: Shorter ring travel allows quicker selection of output vs SRT6
  5. MOONLIGHT: Can get much lower than SRT6, so low that you can comfortably stare into emitter
  6. TAIL SWITCH: For tactical people, the tail switch offers superior travel for momentary on
  7. CIGAR GRIP RING: Metal, not cheap plastic like SRT6
  8. STROBE: Slower strobe speed seems more effective than rapid SRT6 strobe

Nitecore SRT6 Advantages:

1. MAX BRIGHTNESS: 850ish lumens vs 480ish of V20C, noticeably brighter spot and spill
  2. THROW: Reaches out to 105+yrds effectively (to my eyes) vs about 70 yrds for V20C
  3. RING SMOOTHNESS: The magnetic selector is smoother and it feels better on SRT6
  4. POCKET CLIP: Has pocket clip, V20C does not
  5. MODES: Additional SOS mode
  6. STRIKE BEZEL: Has strike bezel, V20C does not
  7. COLOR: Can get black or grey, and grey looks quite nice to my eyes

Equal or Not Significantly Different:

1. SPILL RANGE: Virtually identical range of spill
  2. HOLSTER: Similar enough to make it a neutral factor to me
  3. LANYARD: Similar enough to make it a neutral factor to me

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for reporting back. I too have been looking at the V20C. Did you get the V20C-Y and I'm wondering if that is the neutral white version?

Do you have a feel for color temperature........5000K?

TSD

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I have the V20C-Y neutral white version rated at 480 lumens. I cannot verify whether the color temperature is about 5000K, although I believe it is stated as such the product description. I can tell you that it is very obviously more neutral/warm compared to my cool white lights, that it renders colors much better (especially in the woods), and that it does not appear yellow on white wall tests unless it is compared side to side to a cool white emitter. This is my first neutral white light, and I now understand why some folks here fuss over neutral white. I strongly prefer it, and I will most likely only consider lights with neutral tint or higher CRI for future purchases. That said, there are many here who still prefer cool white.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, that was the light I was looking at. I got familiar with the temperature scale after buying some LED's where I actually had the data sheet and knew what the actual color tint was. I started liking the 5000 to 6000k area. I have the Fenix PD32UE which I think is around 5000 and I like it. It just seems white unless you are white wall comparing against a cool white light.

Blue Steel

Newly Enlightened
Any update? How have the lights been working out for you thus far (particularly the V20c)? Also, do you have any beam shots?

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
TSD, thanks for doing the comparison. I was on the fence with either the SRT7 or V20C and decided to go with the V20C - in the mail as we speak. I was hoping the ring on the V20C was better but oh well. I know Vinh can mod it to make it brighter but will wait to see how I like it as-is first and then decide if I want a mod.