Sunwayman V25C

JML

Enlightened
The control ring rotates 360 degrees and works in both directions. After full power, there's a small section of about 1/4" where it is totally off, then it slowly ramps up from very low to full. Seems like logarithmic range. Works well in either direction. Well-damped movement of the ring, but it can be operated with one hand/thumb. No strobe (thankfully). Dual springs for the batteries, and a battery cartridge fits well. Virtually identical body to the V20C; different tailcap.

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
JML: Thanks so much. So then somebody is walking along with the V25C on a low setting, hears a sound in the woods nearby, and with maybe 30 degrees of control ring rotation, accesses the brightest setting?

And JML or anyone care to comment on the beam quality? Cool? A little green? Nice, usable spill? Pretty large hotspot? Nice tail cap switch? Anything else?

NorthernStar

Enlightened
The control ring rotates 360 degrees and works in both directions. After full power, there's a small section of about 1/4" where it is totally off, then it slowly ramps up from very low to full. Seems like logarithmic range. Works well in either direction. Well-damped movement of the ring, but it can be operated with one hand/thumb. No strobe (thankfully). Dual springs for the batteries, and a battery cartridge fits well. Virtually identical body to the V20C; different tailcap.

JML,
i have not seen any reveiws of this light yet, and since you are an owner of the V25C i have some questions about it.:) Does it have a step down in effect feature when running it at highest mode? If so, is it thermal or time based? Did the light came without a tactical ring?

CobraMan

Newly Enlightened
Can anyone provide some insight as to why the throw appears to be so much less than the V20C? Effective range of 112m versus 300m (per Sunwayman specs) for the same LED, appears to be a similar orange peel reflector, driven harder to 780 lumens = puzzled?

Otherwise it looks like I know what my next purchase will be!

Cheers,
Tim

JML

Enlightened
No step-down that I've noticed, but I haven't run it for long. No tactical ring and no threading for one (sorry I didn't note that earlier). Tailcap is a bit shorter than the V20C tailcap. Reflector seems identical to the one in the V20C (original emitter). Tint overall is comparable to the V20C (original emitter) and like my EagleTac G25C2 Mk. II, but with a slightly different (larger) faintly yellowish/green section in the beam around the hotspot than the lights with longer throw. Yes, you can easily change the setting as described (the ring is heavily damped and does require pressure to move; the benefit is that it won't move on its own).

TSD

Newly Enlightened
Would you compare the beam to other lights in terms of brightness, throw, and profile? Perhaps the V20C and EagleTac G25C2 MKII would be a good place to start. What light that you own is most similar in beam profile to the V25C?

NorthernStar

Enlightened
No step-down that I've noticed, but I haven't run it for long. No tactical ring and no threading for one (sorry I didn't note that earlier). Tailcap is a bit shorter than the V20C tailcap. Reflector seems identical to the one in the V20C (original emitter). Tint overall is comparable to the V20C (original emitter) and like my EagleTac G25C2 Mk. II, but with a slightly different (larger) faintly yellowish/green section in the beam around the hotspot than the lights with longer throw. Yes, you can easily change the setting as described (the ring is heavily damped and does require pressure to move; the benefit is that it won't move on its own).

JML,
Thank´s for the information.:wave:

SouthernKahrCarrier

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the info, JML. Does the magnetic ring have detents or any other way of estimating the power level it is on? I don't want to think I'm in the single digit lumen range and bounce 780lm off my bedroom ceiling at 5am.

JML

Enlightened
No detents on the ring. There is about 1/4" of well-damped movement where the light is off, between full-on and the start of any observable light.

SouthernKahrCarrier

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, JML. I can make a couple bumps with Sugru or a bit of epoxy if I need to so I know where I am on the dial. I ordered one today.

Skyraider59

Newly Enlightened

Is the ramping made on the full 360 degree, ie, there is 6 flats on the head, can you visually see a output increase as you pass each flats during the 360 turn?
Thanks

bgm307

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, JML. I can make a couple bumps with Sugru or a bit of epoxy if I need to so I know where I am on the dial. I ordered one today.

I'm getting one too at the end of the week. I have a V11R and really like it. It has a flat spot on the ring. With the pocket clip set up, I can tell exactly where the light set is in the dark before turning it on. Have to figure out some way to mark this one so you know where you are. If you figure out something that works let us know.

Kapriel

Newly Enlightened
Just got mine. I would rate the light as pretty good but not great.

I also have the V11R and the ring does not work anything like that one.
The 25C ring is not marked in any way and just goes around in circles endlessly going from no light to full and then
a few degrees of rotation with nothing and then you get the surprise... That is to say you could go to full brightness
or no light at all if your not paying attention and shift the ring the other way once you hit the ring's off spot.

There is no flat spot, no detent, nothing. there's a thermal shut off based on temp as mine just shut off as I'm typing this wow the light was hot top to bottom. I took out the batteries to let the light cool down faster and it turned back on again one it cooled down and pressed the switch again. I did not have an 18650 so put two 16340's in to try it out. Tint is a yellowish purple......but not too bad.
not my favorite color and it does not come with a holster. It will tail stand but you have to fiddle with it to do so.

The throw is decent and all in all I would give the light an 8 out of 10.
I believe once I get use to it perhaps a 9 out of 10.

All in all not a bad light.

RoadStar

Newly Enlightened
Hope I'm not violating any forum rules for also posting this on the review thread.

I've been considering the V20C-Y then I saw this with nearly twice the rated lumens. I'm wondering how much brighter it really is. I'd love to see a comparison between these (v20c/v25c) Also wondering if and when a NW version will become available, one members description of the tint being yellowish purple unfortunately does not appeal to me.

Can someone who owns this advise if a pocket clip could be fitted, for instance a Solarforce clip? Or could someone provide a measurement of the body/threads at the tail.

Joel

EDIT: Solarforce clip does fit (in Skyraider59's review thread): http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...l-Flashlight&p=4360008&viewfull=1#post4360008

Last edited: