Sunwayman V60C & Charging Base review (runtime, beamshots, pics )

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
@jh333233 - I think that was to be expected especially where the control ring is concerned. I believe there was mention over on CPFMP that someone got mud into their control rings and after cleansing, it didn't have the same smooth feel so definitely something to keep in mind.

All, add'l runtime w/new bats added and also pic of 6xLiFEPO4 in carrier posted (search 10/5).

Thx,
Tim

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Long distance beam shots added above but for full details and comparo, check here. I also picked up the magnets but just need to get some thick silicone wiring and hope to have the charging algo graphed soon.

Cheers,
Tim

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also picked up the magnets but just need to get some thick silicone wiring and hope to have the charging algo graphed soon.

Did you pick up the magnets from the head? It's amazing you could do so. Hope you to take good care of the light. :naughty:

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, got the magnets but just need the wires. I also picked up a second data logging DMM so can now graph both the V & C simultaneously. Hopefully it'll be done by this weekend.

Cheers,
Tim

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys,

Initial charging base logging set up posted (search 10/22). I'll follow up w/the graph when it's done charging.

Cheers,
Tim

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Graph and stats now added (search 10/23). So it looks like a CC/CV charger but with the only drawback being that it won't/can't balance charge so the cells will likely eventually become unbalanced enough to require manual intervention. Main thing to keep in mind is to use balanced cells (in which case it'd be preferable if you can actually match the internal resistance and not just by voltage) and to check the individual cells every few charges to ensure that they're reasonably balanced.

Experts, please chime in if you see anything amiss with what I've stated. As mentioned this is the first review of a charger for me and I'm still learning as I go along.

Cheers,
Tim

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
So it looks like a CC/CV charger but with the only drawback being that it won't/can't balance charge so the cells will likely eventually become unbalanced enough to require manual intervention. Main thing to keep in mind is to use balanced cells (in which case it'd be preferable if you can actually match the internal resistance and not just by voltage) and to check the individual cells every few charges to ensure that they're reasonably balanced.

Very good job! :thumbsup: That's what I want to know about. turboBB! Thanks a lot for your effort.

If the charger can't balance charge, what the user can do is to use the same brand, capacity, and new cells if possible. Am I right?

KH

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
The cells don't necessarily have to be new (although it's preferable if you're using primaries) but if there was a way to measure internal resistance and match that instead of just merely the voltage or capacity then that would be the best way to ensure one is using matched cells.

In short, the methods in order of decreasing accuracy of matching cells (and again, someone please correct if you disagree):
1 - Internal resistance
2 - Measured capacity (discharge/charge cycle)
3 - Voltage

Cheers,
Tim

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
The cells don't necessarily have to be new (although it's preferable if you're using primaries) but if there was a way to measure internal resistance and match that instead of just merely the voltage or capacity then that would be the best way to ensure one is using matched cells.

In short, the methods in order of decreasing accuracy of matching cells (and again, someone please correct if you disagree):
1 - Internal resistance
2 - Measured capacity (discharge/charge cycle)
3 - Voltage

Cheers,
Tim

Voltage doesnt mean much since ur still floating between 2.75-4.2 @ maximum
I think "Brands" should be included too

Kilted

Enlightened
From a safety point of view yes. If there were a blocking diode then the snap on tail cover with usb charger port would not work. Any one care to take on the task of designing the V60C USB charger port? Remember you are stepping down 12DC to 5VDC and a linear regulator may not be the best. Let's say round-about $20.

Here is the DC-DC regulator; http://www.murata-ps.com/data/power/oki-78sr.pdf

=D~~ Kilted

Kilted

Enlightened
Well I had my first problem with my V60C. Something to watch out for, one of the four screws at the bottom holding the large ring contact was loose and almost fell out. Caught in time and fortunately I had the correct hex driver to tighten it with. Check the other three and they were tight.

=D~~ Kilted

DanM

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the heads up. I checked the screws on my V60C and they were all loose. One was so loose you could turn it with a tooth pick.
Thanks again.
Dan

tpopz2908

Newly Enlightened
Re: the screws. Would there be any problem using blue lock-tite on these ? Are these screws conductive in any way? This light, for me, will eventually make it's way into the general use light-fleet for my staff.....after considerable testing ....maybe :) It would be nice to be able to just lock-tite the screws and forget about 'em.

I already anticipate having to do a bit of regular maintence checking and balancing batteries, but that's no big deal if done regularly. Don't want to worry about screws falling out if I can help it.

Kilted

Enlightened
Re: the screws. Would there be any problem using blue lock-tite on these ? Are these screws conductive in any way? This light, for me, will eventually make it's way into the general use light-fleet for my staff.....after considerable testing ....maybe :) It would be nice to be able to just lock-tite the screws and forget about 'em.

I already anticipate having to do a bit of regular maintence checking and balancing batteries, but that's no big deal if done regularly. Don't want to worry about screws falling out if I can help it.

I posted your concern to SWM on cpfmarketplace; http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?258267-AWM-V60C-loose-screws&p=2723003#post2723003

=D~~ Kilted