Surefire 6P Original

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought a 9p, but I bought some crap rechargeable's that were evidently unprotected as they reached over 4.1 each. Three of them fried the SF Xenon bulb in a flash. They also fried a T6 right behind it. It is perfect for my duty belt, and comfortable in the car unlike the ultra stinger I just got. So what would be the best LED drop in and the best batteries to power it for dependable nightly use versus trying to scorch the surface of the moon?

You can run 2x17500 cells on a P90, or as sgt253 suggested the M91 would be a great option. If you want something with balance between runtime and output, a Malkoff M61 or M61L and 2x17500 would be just the ticket.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have never owned a 6P, but for as long as I have been lurking/a member here I have heard nothing but good about them. My first good light was the cheaper cousin, the G2, and I have had several more G2s over the years. My problem was that my son would borrow them, then forget where he left them, so I have been without for several years. I recently got the urge to move into the high CRI world, and thought that a G2 would make an ideal host. I scored a very nice hardly used one on eBay for $30. I replaced the P60 with the Lumens Factory 90+ CRI triple mode XP-G D26 drop in, and love it. I did a side by side with the P60 before I replaced it, and was pleased with how closely the two appeared. I am now in the process of selecting and ordering a rechargeable for it, so I will be all rechargeable.
As far as I am concerned, the only real advantage the 6P has is if one is getting into the higher lumens drop ins. The metal head of the 6P does a much better job of handling the heat that goes along with the higher output lamps.

sgt253

Enlightened
I hope I helped bulbus maximus. I would definitely agree with cland72. I run currently a standard P90 lamp in a 9P with Aw 17500's. I love the incandescent output on those batteries. Furthermore, if I want a "smaller package", I run a P90 in a 6P or G2 with AW IMR 16340 batteries. I tend to prefer running IMR batteries in rechargeable incand set-ups. Good luck.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
there is only one "6P ORIGINAL" - the one with the OLD STYLE round bezel --> NOT PRONE to a bent front lip even without any hard use.
If You got the actual hex bezel, IMMEDIATELY get a bezel ring to protect that flimys part.
be4 You start to use it!!!

... if from the start planning to mod the light, take fivemega's recommendation and get an already 18650 bored body / flashlight.
Better and much less hassle (or chance to destroy the body) than trying to do that afterwards.
And cheaper also.

Yeah good advice, & I'll second your opinion about the bezel edges.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
I have several 6P's and G2's decked out in Malkoff dropin's! and some with Nailbender's I have different colors, floods,3S's and a Malkoff LLLL, that is one Oveready had for a short time. All have Moddoo or DS clips, Triad tail caps, or RPM tail caps, Trit bezel rings or other cool bezel rings, and most with Cyros Cooling Bezels by Ronac.

Really hard to beat all these cool mix and match custom made parts.

I also have a few G3's decked out like these, and some 9P Turbo heads.

These Surefire's have to be the most fun I have had customizing my own lights.

Also, each and every one has a custom Titanium bead! All the Cyros Cooling Bezels have a Ti grenade bead from Tom Anderson from Artistry in Tiatnium, as they match the cooling bezels really well.

Again all have a bezel, bezel ring, dropin, tail cap, McGizmo switch, and a titanium bead on a 8 strand paracord lanyard.

This has become a cool way to set up your lights.

Really, the only thing left from Surefire is the body!

Thanks to all the above makers for providing the best parts in the world for us to Mod. Our lights a hundred different ways.

Oh, I also have a decked out P3 in my inventory. A light I hated when it came out, it was dim and the batteries died quick. Fast forward twenty years later, and I have one of the best lights in the world. I still have the original bezel, tail cap and original Drop in for the 3P, all I really did was add a Malkoff M31, I switch it around and then bring it back to stock, even with all this, I have a couple of original 6Ps from way back that I keep in box stock form, I still like the Incan light, too.

Best,

RL

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
The fact that there are so many ways to build out a "6P" with or without any original SF parts speaks volumes as to the versatility and quality of the design. :) They'll still be around and just as popular in 20 years. I know, famous last words...

rotncore

Newly Enlightened
If you're going for an 18650 host, I would recommend buying a Solar Force L2 or L2P dedicated 18650 host instead. Only beef I have with them is the enlarged "pill socket." The area where the lamp sits in the body is significantly larger than that of the 6P, causing certain drop-ins to rattle and incur intermittent contact.

I still have two 6P hosts on my shelf, no idea what they're there for or how I ended up or what I plan to do with them. But one things for sure, they are keepers.

Do any of the Solar Force hosts have a lock out tail cap? That is the only thing keeping me from buying another batch of them.