surefire 6p

Lumen83

Enlightened
Oh thats good to know. Thanks for the info. For my purposes, the beam is a little bright for a one level light anyway. So, this just might be perfect for me.

Lumen83

Enlightened
You may want to read this.
You can also try
3.7 volt version D26 or P60 type incandescent bulb using single 18650. Worth to try.

Thanks for the info. I picked up a lumens factory LED and Incan, both 3.7v to try with the 18650. Also picked up an l2m body like the one above to try with an 18350. Hoping this gives me some pretty cool options.

Lumen83

Enlightened
Well, I tried the 6p with two rcr123a batteries and as soon as I turned it on it burnt out a p61 lamp. Then, I put a p60 in it and the same thing happened. Any idea why? I thought they were the same voltage as cr123a

bykfixer

Flashaholic
dw5col.jpg

Stock. Pure stock down to the 2009 batteries.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I tried the 6p with two rcr123a batteries and as soon as I turned it on it burnt out a p61 lamp. Then, I put a p60 in it and the same thing happened. Any idea why? I thought they were the same voltage as cr123a

Your p60 runs on around 5.2v as two 3v batteries drop voltage under load. Your rcr cells are going to be about 8v under load. You need a p90 lamp. Or p91 if using imr 16340 cells

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rechargeable RCR123A is nominally 3.7 volt while primary CR123A is nominally 3 volt battery. Keep in mind they are different animal with different voltage.
Genuine P60 and P61 are designed to work with pair of primary CR123A or 5 volt. Using pair of rechargeable RCR123A will overvolt and kill both bulbs.
Please pay attention to
CR123A and RCR123A.

Lumen83

Enlightened
Oh, I thought they were both the same voltage. Whoops! That will do it. I'm going to need to find some incan lamps that can handle the RCRs because Im tired of buying primaries for EDC lights.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, I thought they were both the same voltage. Whoops! That will do it. I'm going to need to find some incan lamps that can handle the RCRs because Im tired of buying primaries for EDC lights.
Assuming your 6P is bored out to use 18mm cells, install a single rechargeable protected 18650 and this bulb which is rated at 3.7 volt.
If you want to use pair of rechargeable CRC123 then
this 7.4 volt version bulb will work fine.
Depends on your budget, there are more expensive options too.

Last edited:

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I probably would have went with the 7.4 volt lamp if I had it to do again but I've been using these 9V cheapies from fleabay for a while now with 16340s and I really like them. All in I was around $30 for 3 lamps and 4 batteries. That's $15 a light. For not very much money at all you can ditch the expensive CR123s and go with these rechargables. The beams look identical to a P60 running on 2 CR 123s.

EDIT: Anyone know where to get lenses for these old style Surefires?

NT5AH6V.jpg

W7VjsjD.jpg

Lumen83

Enlightened
I still haven't tried the tin foil but I've decided not to use the surefire lamps anyway. Haven't recieved the lumens factory bulbs, but I got a couple of cheap no name ones and they work great.

Lumen83

Enlightened
Anyone know if there are any incan P60 style lamps that are more floody or have a bigger hot spot? Not sure if this is possible. But, I prefer floody lamps and a floodier incan would be perfect.

carrot

Flashaholic
Anyone know if there are any incan P60 style lamps that are more floody or have a bigger hot spot? Not sure if this is possible. But, I prefer floody lamps and a floodier incan would be perfect.

The P61 would be it, as it has a longer tungsten filament (and 50% more output), but it burns through batteries twice as quick! You could also glaze the lens of the flashlight.

Lumen83

Enlightened
The P61 would be it, as it has a longer tungsten filament (and 50% more output), but it burns through batteries twice as quick! You could also glaze the lens of the flashlight.

Glazing the lens might be a good way to go for me, as I would like the run 18650s and would like longer run times than the p61. Any idea how I would go about doing that?

carrot

Flashaholic

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Will the 6p run on 18650s (assuming its bored) with the original incandescent p60 lamp? Anyone have any thoughts or experience on this?

You don't need to bore it. Just toss in a 16650 KeepPower protected lithium ion. It will not be as bright using a P60 lamp because of the lower voltage but will be a perfectly functional light.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glazing the lens might be a good way to go for me, as I would like the run 18650s and would like longer run times than the p61. Any idea how I would go about doing that?
The last time I was on the site Flashlightlens offered frosted lenses. Others have posted about film to adhere to a regular lens to frost/diffuse the light beam.

Personally, if I was going to do anything like that I would make sure I had a source for or had in hand a regular replacement lens so that if anything went wrong I could restore the light to its original state.