Surefire Arc-2 HID

bulbmogul

Enlightened
I see these lights are now completely off of the market with none being offered forsale "NEW" in the box..Sure glad i snagged my 2 while I did..

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see these lights are now completely off of the market with none being offered forsale "NEW" in the box..Sure glad i snagged my 2 while I did..

They are so good they didn't dare make any more !! Never a real production product, just a trial run, to test the waters.
That's some "serial production" you got there 1 and 2 of maybe 10 or so units sold.

Last edited:

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been dreaming of getting the body as a host for a modded light. It's just a tiny bit too expensive for that though. :)

bulbmogul

Enlightened
Browsing the SUREFIRE website for new and interesting lights for my fledgling fleet and notice no more HID LIGHTS of any sort on the page..? Hmmmmm

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guess they got into something more lucrative and that which they can support! Are they now looking to swampland in Florida....? Hmmmmm......

Karl

JasonRain

Newly Enlightened

This is the charging unit that was required to be purchased EXTRA from Surefire when I bought the Arc2-8C HID

Hello ! I'm a new comer ..

Recently I bought a ARC2-8C for a friend from KGI Guns actually they are transferd from P&B Photo's goods so i bought a used one , and the car charger is broken my friend plug on he's car the cable is no fire and smoking so it can't be use anymore , is any body can tell me how to buy a new set form Surefire , I'm not from USA I'm from Taiwan PLEASE Help me !! I Really need the vehicle charger and the AC Power supply .
Many Thanks !!

bulbmogul

Enlightened
Thanks for the glimpse into these incredible unicorns.
Finding one for sale would certainly be a challenge.

Have you had a chance to locate one yet..? Sure glad I bought the ones I have when I did as they appear to pretty much dried up..

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was really interested in the ARC lights for a long time as I've always wanted an HID light that can also use primaries.

bulbmogul

Enlightened
Can you guys give me some ideas on BATTERY PRESERVATION as my lights get very little use quite honestly since they are just for play with very little use... I am trying to find out how to keep the battery's fresh where they will hold a charge for long periods of a time....

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you guys give me some ideas on BATTERY PRESERVATION as my lights get very little use quite honestly since they are just for play with very little use... I am trying to find out how to keep the battery's fresh where they will hold a charge for long periods of a time....

Long term storage of Lion batteries should not be done fully charged. More like 30%. Should also be stored in the freezer or fridge.
In your case the best is to not buy batteries at all, just run off of a D.C. power supply.
And to think, you also bought spare battery packs, for what purpose ?

bulbmogul

Enlightened
Long term storage of Lion batteries should not be done fully charged. More like 30%. Should also be stored in the freezer or fridge.
In your case the best is to not buy batteries at all, just run off of a D.C. power supply.
And to think, you also bought spare battery packs, for what purpose ?

Yes only spare I own is for this unit and I think I been quite careful with the charging but wow I had no idea these heaps are already 5 years old without a hour burn time on any of them..

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Yes only spare I own is for this unit and I think I been quite careful with the charging but wow I had no idea these heaps are already 5 years old without a hour burn time on any of them..

Hey, don't need to feel bad despite the admonitions given, as VERY FEW people (including flashaholics) are aware of proper use and care of any type of battery chemistry. Many people buy extra battery pack(s)/cells because of anticipated obsolescence of custom made packs, or because at the time of purchase they anticipate longer practical single event usage time than what it turned out to be.

I can guarantee that every flashaholic has more Lithium Ion batteries than they need, and very few (if any who are being honest) take the time to drain them down to even 40-50%, let alone the ideal 30%, verifying with a DMM, keeping a light on with repeated DMM measurements just to drain to ideal level for long term storage. Then even fewer take the time to mark storage dates or when they put them in a freezer/refrigerator because when you need your light—having drained, frozen batteries just goes against human nature!

One easy habit is to mark the date of purchase with a sharpie when buying them. Li-Ion cells will still last a very long time even if not optimally cared for—just not as robustly as when new. I have some 25-30 year old Pila Li-Ion cells that still give a surprising performance in my custom halogen mag-lights. These old cells never even started with the current mAh storage capacities available as technology/improvements has changed. There's many sides of this issue. The important thing is to keep reading and learn as we all are doing. The battery section of this CPF Forum is awesome.

Last edited:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, I was under the impression the magic number was about 45% of charge. This is the first time I've been hearing 30%. I've always thought once you get much below that, especially 20% you are damaging the battery and the li-ion batteries will lose charge over time as well obviously, so I've always tried to store my underused batteries at 45%.

BVH

Flashaholic
The closer you can keep them to 20% of charge without going under, the better. The risk at 20% is in not checking them occasionally to charge them back up to 20% due to self-discharge. A 25% of charge, letting them self-discharge to 20%, re-charging to 25% would be near the ideal. But in the real world, anything under 50% is being nice to them.

bulbmogul

Enlightened
Was everyone aware the Surefire offered custom special carrying cases for both the Arc2 as well as the H5..? I have both of them and forgot I had them..HAH.. Some crazy price but at least they match the units.. To bad it is such a PITA to upload pictures or I would share..