Surefire Arc-2 HID

bulbmogul

Enlightened
You would think that for a $3,000.00 HID Light, Surefire would provide you with a dedicated battery charger. Well they dont and for a extra $200.00 you can buy one. Been waiting for them to actually have them available to purchase. Arrived today and is well constructed just like the lights.

http://www.pbase.com/bulbmogul/image/163618000

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Classic strategy. Design the light and build a couple of prototypes for testing to validate the design and maybe loan out to create some buzz. Make a low quantity production run to make sure everything is working within tolerances and to design. Sell those lights at a premium price to cherry pick the high end buyers who just have to have the biggest and baddest available, and maybe to some SAR and/or First Responders who can actually use the light. If they sell well, make a larger run to make sure that you have cherry-picked the market, then lower the price and see how the rest of us respond. If there is enough demand continue with small runs until demand drops off, then discontinue production and go on to something else. Keep the design and production capability available in case demand should pick up sometime in the future.

As a related example, Digital Equipment produced thousands if not millions of PDP-11 16 bit computers back in the late 70s and early 80s. Some were used as general purpose computers, but most were a single-board design that was built into devices as their controllers. Things like medical instruments, production control, energy management, etc. Long after DEC had moved on to their VAX computer line, there was one building in their main complex that contained a complete production line for the single board version of the PDP-11. Once a year or so, a hundred or so employees that had experience in working that line would come in from all over the company or as individual contractors, and run the line to bring inventory levels up to projected demand levels so customers could keep their devices running. It was cheaper for their customers to pay the premium prices for those boards then go through the entire approval process for a new design. DEC finally killed the line when the single chip processors become commonly available, and were cheap enough to make it worthwhile to redesign the devices to use the new processors and go through all the regulatory gyrations necessary to get the new designs approved. So I have no doubt that somewhere in the Surefire factories there is a storage area where all the customized dies, etc., necessary to make more Arc HID lights are kept, so that if they want to Surefire can make a few more if needed.

bulbmogul

Enlightened
Not sure there was many takers on these and thinking i should snag another one for the shelf when they become a classic.

bulbmogul

Enlightened
I just bought an Aviator® and now I love SureFire® again. Yes, Sir, if you can buy another brand-new Arc-2 HID, you have my vote.

Regards
I am sure thinking about it as B&H has several in stock and I am sure this will likely be the end of the Arc2-8c HID Lights..

bulbmogul

Enlightened
Where can we get one of these beasts?

B&H Photo in NYC has 2 left in stock as of today and that will most likely change really quick as I am about to pull the trigger on a 2nd one of these as i don't see them ever showing up to buy anywhere. Surefire no longer has them on the website and no mention of them at all.. Must have been a short lived item with not much interest except for me..:) Its a fantastic light at what i feel is a very fair price..

AR_Shorty

Enlightened
So do these come with the rechargeable handle and a charger? I think I remember seeing that you had to buy the charger separately, which made no sense.

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
So do these come with the rechargeable handle and a charger? I think I remember seeing that you had to buy the charger separately, which made no sense.

B&H must be getting desperate to move their stock out. the complete unit without a carry case is down $539 from what "Bulb" paid.
and spare batteries are "ONLY" $1090.00 each now, they were $1,300 originally, I believe. That's an insane price for a Lithium Ion battery of that capacity these days.
I think DC car charger was standard, AC charger was extra.

kj2

Flashaholic
That's is quite a price drop. Spare battery is still ridiculously expensive indeed. To bad you won't see many (if all) of these in Europe..

bulbmogul

Enlightened
B&H must be getting desperate to move their stock out. the complete unit without a carry case is down $539 from what "Bulb" paid.
and spare batteries are "ONLY" $1090.00 each now, they were $1,300 originally, I believe. That's an insane price for a Lithium Ion battery of that capacity these days.
I think DC car charger was standard, AC charger was extra.

B&H is desperate..? HAH What a joke...!

chartmarker

Newly Enlightened
I think you misunderstood XeRays post, What I got from the post is that B&H is like any retailer they want to move their discontinued product fast.

djjoonie

Newly Enlightened
My Arc 2
DLV01E8.jpg

DHctKCS.jpg

2CWEb9f.jpg

Rp06VFT.jpg

pbXeJoI.jpg

iOX7LNZ.jpg

BmO4INz.jpg