Surefire Arc-2 HID

bulbmogul

Enlightened
Battery Life and proper care. I have a couple questions about maintaining healthy batteries for my Arc2..? I have used the light several time now just messing around with it and have about 65% fuel yet left in it. My questions is..? Does it hurt letting it set like this or should it be kept at full charge? Thoughts and comments much appreciated..

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
50% charge is best if you want to store a Li-Ion battery. Storing a battery fully charged (cell_voltage_without_load >= 4V) and especially fully discharged is bad for the battery. High temperatures during storage are also bad. Li-Ion batteries constantly "decay" (i.e. lose capacity). Storing them under good conditions and never fully charging and discharging them reduces the rate of decay to almost zero. This is how Tesla achieves thousands of charge cycles with the batteries in their cars and also why cell phone batteries wear out in 1-3 years.

The question really is: how often do you need the light? How ready does it need to be (i.e. does it need to always be fully charged)? The more you take care of the batteries, the more impractical everything becomes.

Last edited:

BVH

Flashaholic
I like all the Lithium chemistries but have never liked the fact that storing my LiIon and LiPoly battery lights at full charge (they need to be ready to use, right?) tends to shorten their lives as mentioned above. That's why, whenever I can, I convert to Lithium Iron cells. Storing them at full charge for very long periods of time does not shorten their lives. But where I can't, I just live with the shortened life. What good is a flashlight if you can't grab it and go and get full run time out of it.

bulbmogul

Enlightened
50% charge is best if you want to store a Li-Ion battery. Storing a battery fully charged (cell_voltage_without_load >= 4V) and especially fully discharged is bad for the battery. High temperatures during storage are also bad. Li-Ion batteries constantly "decay" (i.e. lose capacity). Storing them under good conditions and never fully charging and discharging them reduces the rate of decay to almost zero. This is how Tesla achieves thousands of charge cycles with the batteries in their cars and also why cell phone batteries wear out in 1-3 years.

The question really is: how often do you need the light? How ready does it need to be (i.e. does it need to always be fully charged)? The more you take care of the batteries, the more impractical everything becomes.
I hardly ever use it as it is still on its very first charge since i bought it back a few months ago. I am at about 65% now. So say I use it and run it down to less then 10% then only recharge it back to about 50%..? Am I ruining the battery while doing this..?

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hardly ever use it as it is still on its very first charge since i bought it back a few months ago. I am at about 65% now. So say I use it and run it down to less then 10% then only recharge it back to about 50%..? Am I ruining the battery while doing this..?

Well "ruining" it sounds a bit harsh. How long will this take? If you really need months to discharge half of the battery once (!) then I would suggest charging it to 80% and discharging no lower than say 20%. Long periods of storage at very low and very high voltages are the bad thing.

Last edited:

bulbmogul

Enlightened
Has anyone got there hands on one of these bad boys yet? I see B&H has them on the website but not in stock..

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a Hellfighter 4, but no 5, yet.

The Hellfighter 4 is much cooler in color temperature than the original Hellfire/Hellfighter is in addition to having a tighter beam pattern and the internal battery pack.

I'd like the higher output of the Hellfighter 5, but I don't need another Hellfighter. I've got a few too many right now, and will be thinning the herd after Christmas.

bulbmogul

Enlightened
Just checking in on this thread to see if any others have bought one of these Surefire Arc2-8c HID Lights..? I am surprised there is no write up on them yet..

Milw light

Newly Enlightened
Just checking in on this thread to see if any others have bought one of these Surefire Arc2-8c HID Lights..? I am surprised there is no write up on them yet..
These are expensive lights that few can afford, SF will not be sending any out for reviews to Selfbuilt et al. I think the beamshot review will be up to you....no pressure. You sure buy some nice lights!

bulbmogul

Enlightened
Where can we get one of these beasts?
They are in stock @ B&H Photo in NYC. I was waiting for them to also get the Surefire Hellfighter-5 in stock too, so that i could avoid the sales tax buying directly from Surefire, however no such luck and i bit the bullet and just ordered my new Surefire Hellfighter-5 that will be here first thing in the AM from Surefire

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are in stock @ B&H Photo in NYC. I was waiting for them to also get the Surefire Hellfighter-5 in stock too, so that i could avoid the sales tax buying directly from Surefire, however no such luck and i bit the bullet and just ordered my new Surefire Hellfighter-5 that will be here first thing in the AM from Surefire

You are now my hero..:D If you get the new Lemax also, I'm making an RV trip to Ohio to see the trio! Great lights, the Hellfighter-5 looks phenomenal. Can't wait to see pics.

bulbmogul

Enlightened
You are now my hero..:D If you get the new Lemax also, I'm making an RV trip to Ohio to see the trio! Great lights, the Hellfighter-5 looks phenomenal. Can't wait to see pics.
Well i will be buying one if this Petr guys either takes a credit card or paypal as i am not messing around with a wire transfer. He is suppose to get back with me today on this matter. So then in the mean time, i will await the brown truck arriving today with my new Surefire Hellfighter-5