Surefire E2E Defender

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
pjandyho said:
...You guys may not believe this but Surefire was nearly banned in Singapore because it was classified as a defence light. The only ones who are allowed to use Surefire are the LEOs. I guess the rest are self explainatory.

Andy Ho

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand that Singapore is a tightly, even rigidly controlled society, but what exactly was their objection to the Surefire lights? Was it guilt by association with the world of armed defense or was the brightness of the lights considered a weapon in itself, AKA "force option"?

Brightnorm

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would be honest man, I do not know why either. I am just very pissed. I heard that the light was finally allowed to consumers after much debate among the top brass. I just hope that the new bezel design would not hinder my purchase of SF products. I am still awaiting the M3 to reach Singapore and I understand that the M3 is going to be supplied with the new aggressive scalloped bezel. What the heck...

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
i wasn't aware that singapore considered banning surefires....when did this happen? any details?

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Adding more impact weapon capabilities to the lights seems to me to fit in perfectly with SF's mission, though I'd prefer that they not do it to every single light (and I highly doubt that they would). I do deplore the attitude that civilians shouldn't have access to such features -- I feel for you if you live in an authoritarian regime that controls this kind of thing, and I understand if you choose not to purchase a light with such features. But I applaud Surefire for not only introducing the porcupine and solid tailcap shroud, but especially applaud them for having enough trust in their civilian customers to make them generally available.

I strongly doubt we'll see gang members with $250 M3s w/ porcupine, or even $80 E2-Ds. And LEOs/military already have more formidable weapons than a flashlight with some pricks on the end. It's civilians in particular -- civilians who have take the responsibility of protecting themselves seriously -- who are most in need of such features.

A combined light/defensive-impact-weapon makes a TON of sense, for the same reason Tlgerlight's combined light/OCspray makes sense for civilians. You might take the light to spot (and hopefully avoid) problems, use the other defensive features if the problems escalate. Meanwhile, your other hand is free to employ, say, a defensive folder or CCW weapon if available. The entire concept is very sound and is just what civilians in non-CCW states need!. My own recent leanings against SF have completely turned around based on the direction of the E2 Defender. Good for them for taking civilian safety and lives as seriously as they do military and LEO safety and lives.

Joe

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
chamenos said:
i wasn't aware that singapore considered banning surefires....when did this happen? any details?

[/ QUOTE ]
I will PM you. I prefer not to discuss it too openly in the net.

Andy Ho