Surefire M-6, how much runtime before T S ??

juancho

Enlightened
It is important to me to know how long I can run this light with the 500 lumen lamp, before the batteries get HOT and create THERMAL SHUTDOWN.
I imagine with the trove of people in this Forum owning M-6's I will have answers soon.

best regards
Juan C.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Juancho,

It is COMPLETELY dependant on the cells used. Some people have never had thermal shutdown and have had M6's for years.

Others have had it happen on their first of second set or cells.

From what I've read, it doesn't seem to matter which type of cell, either. People have reported it with Surefires, just like other cells.

Bill

Size15's

Flashaholic
I've used the M6 constant-on several times until the batteries are used up to test out runtimes and never experienced "Thermal Shutdown".

It is usually outside at night when the temperature is not that warm. On a family holiday earlier this year I let two of my young cousins use an M6 each (with MN20 lamp), while I had a third with the MN21 lamp. We were playing a 'wide game' (kinda like hide & seek) and used a lot of SF123A's that night. I also had my cousins using two 10X's, two M4's (MN60 lamps) and two M3T's (MN15 lamps). Most of my cousins are about 6-15 so they had little understanding of how expensive the torches were and ran them pretty much constant-on except when they had to flash them only when they thought they had a member of the opposite team in their sights.
The game involved two teams - one with flashlights who stayed in one spot, and the other trying to get from point A to point B. One of the ones with a flashlight would shout "Freeze!" and then shine the flashlight where they thought one of the opposition was. If they were caught in the beam then they were out, if not then the whole advancing team got 10 seconds to move or hide when not lights would be on. We used a 'wild' area of light small trees and scrub - lots of places to hide.

Anyway, the only flashlight I've experienced Thermal Shutdowns with is those powering the N62 lamp (12PM, M4 etc)

Al

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Size15's said:
...On a family holiday earlier this year I let two of my young cousins use an M6 each (with MN20 lamp), while I had a third with the MN21 lamp. We were playing a 'wide game' (kinda like hide & seek) and used a lot of SF123A's that night. I also had my cousins using two 10X's, two M4's (MN60 lamps) and two M3T's (MN15 lamps). Most of my cousins are about 6-15 so they had little understanding of how expensive the torches were and ran them pretty much constant-on except when they had to flash them only when they thought they had a member of the opposite team in their sights....

Al

[/ QUOTE ]

That would've been a hoot to watch! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

I'll bet they've got one graemlin to describe their cousin Al............../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Britt

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
If T S does happen, it won't be for at least 10 minutes, and it doesn't happen that often, judging by reports. I posted a thread asking about this. Do a search on this forum in my username and you will find it.