Surefire M1 mod with a new twist

m4a1usr

Enlightened
Having contemplating several variations of mod'ntheSurefireM1 IR light I decided on a simple but unique mod. I decided the simpler the modthe more likely others might make it happen for themselves. Other than havingto thread the inner portion of the M1 head, the rest was pretty much done witheasily available parts from our favorite Light Parts sources. So bear with meand the description to picture explanations. I'm guessing this thread will haveto expand to some extent since initially I am not including any beam shots. Solet's begin.

1.The picture below shows an M1 disassembled and its components. Not overly complicated and thank goodness there is lots of room in the head to go about any direction you desire for the reflector and driver.

2.This picture shows the light already modified and the order of assembly. After reading several M1 modders comments it made sense for me to attempt using a standard P60 pill and not a custom one.I already have a custom one I was teetering on using, my G20 design. It was a cinch to fit since it is 20mm in diameter but using a standard pill would be the icing on the cake since it offered all sort of driver choices.

3.This one clearly shows the P60 pill ready for installing. Since the M1 head is long a typical Pill was not going towork because it has the spring groove cut in it on the end and that would require either a deeper reflector choice or machining that outer portion to fit down inside the head. However I had a work around! A couple years ago I discovered that FT has some UltraFire XPG drop in's that have a pill which is threaded continuously from front to back. I use them exclusively in my M3/Z46 LED conversions and my 9AN LED conversions.

4.The reflector I chose was a common one found on FT. The inner lip inside the M1 head blocks a portion of the reflector so my assumption was to not bother with a thrower like an XPG2 or similar.

5.Flood was more important to me with the lens/ bore restriction so the XML2 seemed right. Since the pill threads are the common M20x1mm it was an easy job threading the head. You will need to thread about 3/4 of the inside length. Luckily the stock M1 head already had the perfect ID for using the tap.

6.The driver I choose couldn't have been more perfect IMO. The Nanjg 101 set to 3 modes H/M/L and at 1.5 amp on hi a good EDC driver. MCPCB a sinkpad from Matt of course. Pill is solder filled and driver is potted. 24ga wires and an EXTRA, EXTRA long center spring. That's needed in this particular build since the reflector in only 15mm long. If you chose a longer reflector than the spring length will of course change and be shorter.This particular build requires an outer spring as well. I found an old SF P60 incandescent spring, cut to the appropriate length was perfect.

More dialog and pictures soon to follow

Last edited:

m4a1usr

Enlightened
Needed to update this thread with some "down the tube" pic's so here is at least something to take a look at. One XPL and the other an XML2. You can clearly see peeling of the AR coating on the lexan lens. Pretty common on M1's if the user is not careful when cleaning it. That one came my way already peeling. Luckily you can find a after market replacement lens if you feel the need.

Last edited: