Surefire M2 Centurion head

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I have never held one before, but the added mass could help counter-balance the weight of the bezel. Some of the heavier bezels do not balance very well in the hand... IMHO.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
No, they have the same internals. The SW02 is heavier and bulkier than the Z48 and lacks knurling. I never understood the fascination with it, why it sells for more money, or the reason why it was ever made in the first place for that matter..

It is nice looking and looks good on a Surefire with the bulky turbo head. My RPM tailcap serves the same purpose.

Bill

RAF_Groundcrew

Enlightened
SF_M2.jpg

This is what I have now.....

DIY_M2.jpg

And this is the bezel I wish I hadn't sold a year ago, I just think the older one looks better, but I needed a bezel to house an L60 LED module.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The SW02 was designed, at the request of operators for WeaponLights - such as the M95. The "Charlie" (Clickie) switch like it's SW01 brother is easy to grip and rotate, even with gloves, in the cold and wet, and under stressful conditions. It was not intended for use on handheld lights.

The M2 bezel was redesigned to save weight. SureFire were careful to ensure the thermal properties of the bezel were not compromised by the weight-saving. Same goes for strength. The thickness of the bezel at the rim edge was not changed.
This bezel was just part of the drive to reduce the weight of the the M95 - the most issued WeaponLight to the US Armed Forces (AFAIK)

Policetacteam

Enlightened
Interesting facts. Its kinda funny. Looking at both pictures side by side I like the newer version better except that it looks like something is missing where the two venting ribs used to be. Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't it look better with the venting ribs still there to fill that weird empty space. I'm kind of on the fence. :shrug:

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is what a M2 head looks like inside.

dsc0625te6.jpg

That is the head that got shot out by airsoft bb fire. starting from left to right:

Bezel ring, rubber gasket, pyrex lens (which you dont see cause it got shot out) plastic neoprene holder, neoprene, metal neoprene/p60 holder

Policetacteam

Enlightened
That is very cool! Well I believe this thread has officially come full circle if we are now dissecting the head of this beast! Any other cool factoids I should be aware of!?!

Size15's

Flashaholic
I like to think that it was my breaking the proto-type "M2" bezel that, in part, drove SureFire to giving it a much thicker bezel wall compared to the M3 bezel to beef it up.
I put the M2 through horrendously abusive, almost reckless at times field-testing. My goal was to see just how well the M2 bezel protected the Lamp Assembly. The difference between a C2 and M2 in terms of ability to withstand abusive handling and use including wilful misuse was significant. I also was able to demonstrate the robustness of the High Output Lamp Assemblies such as the P61 for the M2. The shorter, thicker, straighter filaments did not deform (or indeed break) under significant physical shock/impact etc.

I have tremendous respect for the M2.

Al

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like to think that it was my breaking the proto-type "M2" bezel that, in part, drove SureFire to giving it a much thicker bezel wall compared to the M3 bezel to beef it up.
I put the M2 through horrendously abusive, almost reckless at times field-testing. My goal was to see just how well the M2 bezel protected the Lamp Assembly. The difference between a C2 and M2 in terms of ability to withstand abusive handling and use including wilful misuse was significant. I also was able to demonstrate the robustness of the High Output Lamp Assemblies such as the P61 for the M2. The shorter, thicker, straighter filaments did not deform (or indeed break) under significant physical shock/impact etc.

I have tremendous respect for the M2.

Al

Wow interesting. Do you have more details of this "abuse test" got pics of the prototype M2 head?

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Wow interesting. Do you have more details of this "abuse test" got pics of the prototype M2 head?

x2... do you recall what kinds of abuse you subject it too? The M2 is my best light (by a HUGE margin) in so many ways its not funny. Durability, bomb-proof reliability, factory customer service/support weight heavily on my value scale.

Thank you Al!! :bow:

Last edited:

signal 13

Enlightened

I really dig the new look of the M2 bezel. I just ordered a brand new SW02 and I'm torn on whether to use it on my handheld light, or on my M95 on my AR-15. I love the way it looks in this picture!

Perhaps I should just buy a second SW02!

Policetacteam

Enlightened
I agree that the SW02 looks pretty brawny! I think I would like it better as a weapon mounted tail switch! This may be a stupid question but can my dual output (chord for a tailswitch and button) tail end be used on this tailcap or not!?! That thing is knarly! I'm not totally certain if I'm sold on it mounted to the M2. It almost looks too big and robust for a hand held light.

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes it can. If you are talking about the XM tailcap. I have one and it is just liek any other tailcap. it will fit any standard body from surefire.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The XM TailCap can also be used with an off-set mount or other mount, and a vertical foregrip because the XM has the push button pressure Clickie Switch in addition to the remote switch. The remote tape pressure switch could be located on the vertical foregrip, or perhaps on elsewhere on the weapon should an alternate hold be used (hence why it's called a remote switch)