Surefire M3

Z-Tab

Enlightened
Can anybody chime in on whether it's cool to run the MN10 and MN11 on 2x Li-Ion or 2x IMR? I saw elsewhere that the P90 could handle that voltage, but the P91 couldn't, so I'm a little wary of risking one of the M3 bulbs that I've got.

EDIT: I think that I found the info I was looking for here. Looks like the MN11 shouldn't be run on 2xIMRs, but otherwise, I should be okay.

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic
The MN11 is actually the same bulb as the P91 and MN16 - they just have different fittings.
Are you sure the P91 is the same? That's the first I've heard of this. I've been convinced from multiple side-by-side comparison runtime tests that the MN11 is brighter and whiter for longer compared to the P91. Have I been seeing things?

DM51

Flashaholic
Are you sure the P91 is the same? That's the first I've heard of this. I've been convinced from multiple side-by-side comparison runtime tests that the MN11 is brighter and whiter for longer compared to the P91. Have I been seeing things?

I think I first heard that from mdocod, or maybe it was LuxLuthor. I then looked at them closely with a 10x magnifying loupe, and they certainly looked the same, with no apparent difference in the filaments. Any difference in the appearance of the beams would most likely be due to different reflectors.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've used an MN11 in an M3 with 2 IMR cells for quite awhile. I remember reading somewhere where that could be a problem, but mine works fine. If it poofs, I'll either get another MN11 or maybe see what else I've got in my spare parts box.

Z-Tab

Enlightened
I have finally finished assembling my ideal M3.

25Q94.jpg

Bored for 18mm, with a TnC Detonator to run 2x18650, and a Fivemega MN Bi-Pin Socket with a WA 01111. I know that incans can get brighter, but this one thrills me every time I light it up.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a brand new M3 earlier this month, I agree with everone else that it's a great light, but I don't like the feel of the combat ring or spacers when using the standard ice pick type grip that I do. I took them off right away and the light is so much more comfortable to hold now. I feel like I'm the minority though, I've yet to see a picture of anyone's M3 with the rings and spacers off. If you're not going to use the grip ring, like me, the light feels much better with them off IMO.

bwcaw

Enlightened
The M3 is one of my favorite lights of all time. I'm sad that SF is discontinuing it and doesn't have an equivalent LED replacement yet. I love the design of the body and the length is just perfect, its just long enough that you can put it under your arm if you need to, and just short enough that it will fit in a holster on your belt. Its bright and tough and pairs better than the two cell combatlights with a handgun (in my opinion anyway). The "dead man" switch is great and will probably never wear out, the light is waterproof(ish), at least more water resistant than any similarly sized duty lights. It also has the option of upgraded lamps from Lumensfactory and I run mine off of Lithium Ion cells (forget the size right now for some reason) and in that configuration it makes it the perfect rechargeable duty light in my opinion.

I work in a department that prohibits weaponlights on our duty weapons and for me the M3 is the best possible light for pairing with a handgun that I have found. I only wish that surefire would make an updated M3 with an LED and a longer runtime and no silly turbo head.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
bwcaw: "I only wish that surefire would make an updated M3 with an LED and a longer runtime and no silly turbo head." I have an MCE M3 head that I bought at OpticsHQ.com. They may still sell them. Just unscrew the old and screw on the new! It is bright and seems to run longer on batteries (17500), but has a small donut hole in the middle.

mdocod

Flashaholic
The M3 concept is one of my favorites. I don't own an M3 body, but have the head and adapters and bodies necessary to replicate a similar size and configuration. The IMR-M3 bulb from LF is one of my favorites because it provides a large but penetrating hotspot that really reveals surroundings very well. A Pair of AW 18500 protected cells drive the lamp quite well. In the woods, this configuration has proven itself to be as useful as LED configurations that produce 3X as many "measurable" lumens.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M3 is one of my favorite lights of all time. I'm sad that SF is discontinuing it and doesn't have an equivalent LED replacement yet. I love the design of the body and the length is just perfect, its just long enough that you can put it under your arm if you need to, and just short enough that it will fit in a holster on your belt. Its bright and tough and pairs better than the two cell combatlights with a handgun (in my opinion anyway). The "dead man" switch is great and will probably never wear out, the light is waterproof(ish), at least more water resistant than any similarly sized duty lights. It also has the option of upgraded lamps from Lumensfactory and I run mine off of Lithium Ion cells (forget the size right now for some reason) and in that configuration it makes it the perfect rechargeable duty light in my opinion.

I work in a department that prohibits weaponlights on our duty weapons and for me the M3 is the best possible light for pairing with a handgun that I have found. I only wish that surefire would make an updated M3 with an LED and a longer runtime and no silly turbo head.

Grab a KL6 head (from the old L6...essentially an LED M3)...or wait for the new 4-die M3 heads to come out...either way, expect an M3L before too long...another option is to get a Nailbender tower for it.

^^Nova^^

Enlightened
The M3 concept is one of my favorites. I don't own an M3 body, but have the head and adapters and bodies necessary to replicate a similar size and configuration. The IMR-M3 bulb from LF is one of my favorites because it provides a large but penetrating hotspot that really reveals surroundings very well. A Pair of AW 18500 protected cells drive the lamp quite well. In the woods, this configuration has proven itself to be as useful as LED configurations that produce 3X as many "measurable" lumens.
I purchased the IMR-M3 after reading your shootout thread, it really is a superb bulb. I am running IMR18490's in a bored M3 body, I tried regular LiCo 18500's but they were a tad too long for the Z44 switch to work properly.

Cheers,
Nova

bwcaw

Enlightened
Grab a KL6 head (from the old L6...essentially an LED M3)...or wait for the new 4-die M3 heads to come out...either way, expect an M3L before too long...another option is to get a Nailbender tower for it.

I will look into those. I've been waiting for sf to make their 4 die regular heads but they are really dragging their feet!

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even though it would make manufacturing sense that the MN11, P91 and MN16 were all the same spec'd bulb, and that reflectors have a lot to do with things, I've just never felt that they were the same lamps. But then I've seen significant and noticeable differences between different P91's, different MN11's, and different MN16's, so maybe they are..

Last edited:

Brigadier

Enlightened
Still diggin my M3's. I am going to send my unbored M3 off to be bored for IMR18500's as I am tired of protected 17500's just shutting off the light without any warning. At least with the IMR's you can see it start to dim rapidly as a warning to change the batteries.

I have an M3 head that has been converted to run LF D36 lamp modules. I am not too pleased with it as even though it is bright, the configuration narrows the side spill even more than the M3 head already is. Thinking about putting it on the CPFM as I never use it.

My bored M3 is still rocking the MN11 and IMR18500's and still the same lamp. This combo is a real pocket rocket that is hard to beat with a stick!!

Jeffa

Newly Enlightened
SF M3 combatlight

Now that they are discontinued I seem to want one now more than ever, am I jumping to conclusions? I was hoping the prices would come down but not really. I think I will just bite the bullet as it is very appealing.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: SF M3 combatlight

And... with the right bulb and batteries they are rechargeable. Great light. I have 3 of them, one with a turbo head and SW01.

Jeffa

Newly Enlightened

What is your set up for the bulb and rechargeable system you have?

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast

The M3 setup could be an EO M3 or HO M3 from Lumens Factory running off of two 17500's. The turbo head setup would use an HO M3T or EO M3T running off of two 17670's and a short extender.

If you have the body bored, then you could step up to 18500/18650's.