SureFire M6 rechargeable options – SHOOTOUT (Part 2)

AvroArrow

Enlightened
Hi DM51,:wave:

I wanted to personally Thank You for creating such a Valuable and Informative thread . My wallet's not thanking you, but I sure am:D:crackup:. I never really wanted a M6 until I found this thread (I'm a rechargeable kind of guy), I now have 2 and counting.:thanks:

Best Wishes,
Steve

+1 to what Steve L said.

I started with a used stock M6 (that's missing the lanyard ring) with a single used MN20 (the guy lost/misplaced his MN21). Now I have 6x AW17670s, 1x AW M6 soft-start switch, 2x FM 3x17670 holders, 1x LF HO-M6R, and I just got my 2x FM bi-pin to MN bulb adapters today. Oh yeah, and a Pila IBC charger thanks to kitelights group buy about half a year ago. I think I should have bought 2 Pila IBCs now. As Illum mentioned, it sucks charging 3 cells with a 2-bay charger. Good thing I had a spare WA1185 from my Mag85 build. To get the rechargeable power of the Mag85 build in such a small package (relatively speaking) is awesome. I also don't have to worry about insta-flashing the bulbs since I've got the soft-start. And a 3-level 1185 light is really cool.

Man.... I've probably spent as much if not more on the aftermarket mods than I did on the M6 itself. Actually, correction, I have spent more on the mods than the light itself. But it's been really fun. :) All I'm missing now is Mdocod's 2x18650 adapter, a couple AW18650s, and some WA1111 bulbs. :grin2: And maybe a 2nd M6 to use all the duplicate FM parts I bought. :crackup: I also had a M4 but sold it because I didn't like the feel/balance of the light and most of all, it had nowhere near the staggering amount of aftermarket mods that the M6 has.

So, :thanks: DM51 for the great info in this thread. BTW, my wallet hates and utterly despises you. :laughing:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Originally Posted by FAAbUlights
Does anybody have some output numbers for the Lumens Factory IMR M6 bulb driven by 6 X IMR16340's?

That should be a great setup for the M4 Devastator. Short runtime for sure, but incredible..

Seems like the voltage would be too low with 2 cells and too high for with 4 cells. Is there some combination which would allow the use of this bulb in the M4? :thinking:

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems like the voltage would be too low with 2 cells and too high for with 4 cells. Is there some combination which would allow the use of this bulb in the M4? :thinking:

3x17670 using 68mm extension unless you have bored out M4 body to take 3x18650

Another choice is 3 IMR 16340 plus a dummy but run time will be very short.

WA1111 produce reasonable light powered by 2x17670 without any extension.

Philips 5761 will work with 2 IMR 18650 with soft start but still too touchy.

DM51

Flashaholic
Does anybody have some output numbers for the Lumens Factory IMR M6 bulb driven by 6 X IMR16340's?
The IMR-M6 specs given by LF are
10.8V, 3A, 25 hours life, 3350K. The IMR16340 cell is 550mAh, so you'll get ~10 mins runtime.

10 mins is not great, so your next step would probably be to consider a 3x18500 or 3x18650 body to replace the M4 body for longer run-time, but then you'll decide the Fivemega Megalennium body is really much nicer looking and more practical for 3x18650, so you'll get one of those… and then you'll see a photo of a Fivemega FM3X head for it, which you'll decide is an absolutely-must-have item…

… and after a little while, and a lot of $$, you'll hate me just as much as AvroArrow's wallet does! LOL!!

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
The IMR-M6 specs given by LF are 10.8V, 3A, 25 hours life, 3350K. The IMR16340 cell is 550mAh, so you'll get ~10 mins runtime.

10 mins is not great, so your next step would probably be to consider a 3x18500 or 3x18650 body to replace the M4 body for longer run-time, but then you'll decide the Fivemega Megalennium body is really much nicer looking and more practical for 3x18650, so you'll get one of those… and then you'll see a photo of a Fivemega FM3X head for it, which you'll decide is an absolutely-must-have item…

… and after a little while, and a lot of $$, you'll hate me just as much as AvroArrow's wallet does! LOL!!
STOP!!!!!!!! LOL

I'm too broke already...

Patriot

Flashaholic
Forgive this off-topic question but I didn't want to open a new thread if someone has a quick answer.

Does anyone know the diameter of the M6 lens and is there a UCL equivalent?

I can look up part two of that question myself if I know the size. Thanks for the help as I'm not at home to measure mine tonight.

:thanks:

Illum

Flashaholic
Forgive this off-topic question but I didn't want to open a new thread if someone has a quick answer.

Does anyone know the diameter of the M6 lens and is there a UCL equivalent?

I can look up part two of that question myself if I know the size. Thanks for the help as I'm not at home to measure mine tonight.

:thanks:

why UCL? Unless you plan on going LED UCL is more prone to cracking than the existing pyrex glass :thinking:

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just ordered an IMR-M6 1000 lumen bulb and three AW 17670 cells, but I am being told that I need to use AW IMR cells only to run this bulb. Being that AW doesn't offer an IMR version of the 17670 I went with what's available.

What is the difference between an IMR AW cell and a regular AW cell?

Will it really make a difference on the maximum possible output of the M6 1000 bulb?

Would the performance of my HO-M6R using a 3S AW17670 configuration be the same as using a 3s2p AWRCR123A in my stock MB20 holder?

What are the main drivers for using a 3s2p setup?
The IMR-M6 is only a 3A lamp assembly, so it's perfectly fine for the regular AW 17670 li-ion cells. You don't need IMRs.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
With the option of so many LED flashlights out there, why on Earth would anyone still buy a Surefire M6? ...

I have to find out, so I ordered one myself :nana: lovecpf

I got a good deal on an M6 ($235) ... but after getting an AW forward clicky, FM Bi-pin socket, a few WA1185 and WA1111, LF HO-M6R, 2x18650 and 3x17670 battery holders, extra batteries, my wallet is about $400 lighter (at least $400 is when I stopped counting, I'm sure I spent more than that). Parts are come from all over, so I should have everything set up in a couple of weeks. I can't wait to test it out. I even have a spare Pelican case that's waiting for an M6.

DM51, absolutely fantastic thread you started. Similar to many other members, you had me convinced that I need an M6.

Alberta-Blue

Newly Enlightened
I owe you quite the belated thanks in relation to this thread. Before this thread I was humming an hawing about the options for my M6-R. I wanted a hot output, long throw, and a good runtime.

I ended up choosing the M6 with a Mdocod 17670 holder, AW 17670's, and an LF HO-M6R. It has become my long range search/spot light of choice. Excellent Combo.

I know that this has been said before... but this is those sacred tomb of M6 users...:twothumbs

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ended up choosing the M6 with a Mdocod 17670 holder, AW 17670's, and an LF HO-M6R. It has become my long range search/spot light of choice. Excellent Combo.

IMO this is a great setup. I just got this setup with a true M6 (not a Mega w/ KT4 head which is what I've been running with most options) and I think the HO-M6R is the best "throwing" light I have. It may not be as bright as some other lamps out there (WA1185) which will light a larger area up close but it has great distance.

Snow

Enlightened
IMO this is a great setup. I just got this setup with a true M6 (not a Mega w/ KT4 head which is what I've been running with most options) and I think the HO-M6R is the best "throwing" light I have. It may not be as bright as some other lamps out there (WA1185) which will light a larger area up close but it has great distance.

Agreed. The HO-M6R is probably the best all around setup IMO and the one I use most often. I finally got a couple of MN21s and MN15s to try for more versatility, but I love the HO-M6R.

DM51

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, flashforce.

Fivemega's MN bi-pin sockets are available here (4th run - the link you showed was to the 2nd run)

However, the bulb you show in that "petermercury" link will not fit the FM socket.

Did you read the whole of post #1 of this thread? You'll need a WA 1111 or WA 1185 (or other G4 fitting bi-pin bulb), and then you'll also need the battery holders and cells appropriate for whichever bulb you choose.