Surefire round body light no marked what model on tail cap

P.08

Newly Enlightened
Is this correct or a replacement tail cap? Took this in on trade this weekend. Also the rubber is smooth instead of textured. Is this a real early light? He upgraded it to LED, I thought Surefire parked bulbs in blue? Chinese knockoff? He has the original incandescent bulb and will get them to me.
Thanks for any insight.
Tail cap.jpg
Body.jpg
Light.jpg
Light 2.jpg

P.08

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the fast replies. Do earlier lights command any premium over other round body lights?

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's an old 6P round body. The tailcap is correct. He put a P60L in there to upgrade the original lamp assembly. I don't really consider it an "upgrade", but some people do. All looks legit to me.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
At the time the P60L was probably a boon for those who bought bulbs and batteries out of their pocket. More run time off expensive batteries and more lifespan from the "bulb" per sae.

michaex

Enlightened
Smooth boots came first? I was under the impression it was the other way around for some reason.

michaex

Enlightened
Thank you @ampdude I have a 9P that came with '96 instruction, with textured boot. As a reference point to anyone trying to date theirs ;)

Personally I prefer textured ones for use - they show less aging/wear that the smooth ones.

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The smooth boots came first and you'll also see different bodies on the "round body" 6Ps with the older ones (like OP's) having the knurling flush with the body. Later versions had a groove machined around the knurling at either end.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
At the time the P60L was probably a boon for those who bought bulbs and batteries out of their pocket. More run time off expensive batteries and more lifespan from the "bulb" per sae.
I got these just so I could stuff them in my spares carrier. Only led that will fit. Figured it's better then nothing

P.08

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the info, you guy know your lights! I take it the LED bulb is not the best one that was made by Surefire?

muichimon

Newly Enlightened
The SUREFIRE 6P in this image has both smooth boots, but the one on the left is an older type.
The range of body nurling is narrower and the logo on the switch is not SUREFIRE 6P but only SUREFIRE.
I think yours is also the older model on the left.

P60L is not even a good one now.
There are many drop-in modules that are much brighter and have better color rendering.
2IMG_3385.JPG

Attachments

• 2IMG_3385.JPG
    2IMG_3385.JPG
    298 KB · Views: 121

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very interesting. I know mine is from about 1994 and also has almost useless knurling. Note the 6P tail cap though. I guess they felt the aggressive knurling was too aggressive? Then went back to it later on?
OG 6P.jpg

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you @ampdude I have a 9P that came with '96 instruction, with textured boot. As a reference point to anyone trying to date theirs ;)

Personally I prefer textured ones for use - they show less aging/wear that the smooth ones.

The light is probably a bit newer than the 96's dated instruction manual. SF always tended to toss old instruction manuals in with new lights. It wasn't uncommon to see a 2004 instruction manual in a 2012 light back when they were still doing incans. I don't think the textured boots came out until the very late 90's.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might be right but for my 3P, which is in my avatar pic but is wearing the 6Ps tailcap and the 6P is wearing the 3P tailcap, which is textured and I bought it in 1995 or '96 at the latest.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might be right but for my 3P, which is in my avatar pic but is wearing the 6Ps tailcap and the 6P is wearing the 3P tailcap, which is textured and I bought it in 1995 or '96 at the latest.

Oh okay, good info. Just going by my own experience. They might have come out with the textured tailcaps earlier than I thought, but I rarely see them on lights pre-96'. The earliest SF catalog I've seen it in is 1996 as well. I think I saw a 1994 one once where they were all smooth tailcaps. Both of my earlier 90's 9N's are smooth tailcaps too. I'm pretty sure the transition had to have been around 1995.

Last edited:

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm pretty sure too. I bought the 3P to mate with a Kahr K9 that I had just purchased and was hoping to make a light/pistol combo as compact as possible. Unfortunately the 3P was not as impressive as the 6P. I ended up sticking with the 6P until more recently.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hehe, yea I don't blame you. The 3 volt lights suck. That's why I never got into the E1e either... I have a few, but I delegate them to night stand duty for when I need to take a leak. Otherwise they are just too dim. The P60/MN03 lamp assemblies are just on a whole different level of performance.