Surefire C3 E-Bay listing question

Raymond33

Newly Enlightened
There are so many older models that I could never keep up with them (and I have been collecting for almost 50 years).
This three cell Z was purchased direct new many years ago and only has markings on the tail cap.

IMG_2677.jpg
IMG_2678.jpg
IMG_2679.jpg
IMG_2680.jpg

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Looks fine & very nice to me; those older 3-flats sit in the hand better than the 4-flats revision. I have a 3-flats # A005152, so that ebay auction is certainly for an old one.

If you are tempted, msg the seller these five questions;
1) interior body surface has a silver or gold tint
2) the front bezel is press-in lexan, or pyrex w/ a threaded-in plastic retaining ring
3) inside of tailcap showing a (smooth head) rivet, or a hex head bolt

I can cross-check the auction pics against my C3 on Monday & post back here.

Last edited:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
The light is legit, that's my auction. I've owned it for a very long time and it's always been a drawer queen.
Interior is silver I believe, but I can't tell colors as well these days.
Bezel is press fit lexan.
Inside of tailcap has a rivet. SF went back and forth on that in the early days. Remember the E2's and E1's where some had rivets to hold the pocket clip and some had a hex nut. I really didn't want to sell this one, I think it's my last C3-BK, but I'm making it a point to downsize some things every other week.

Oh... SF didn't put Pat #'s on their early lights.

Last edited:

Alaskantinbender

Newly Enlightened
The light is legit, that's my auction. I've owned it for a very long time and it's always been a drawer queen.
Interior is silver I believe, but I can't tell colors as well these days.
Bezel is press fit lexan.
Inside of tailcap has a rivet. SF went back and forth on that in the early days. Remember the E2's and E1's where some had rivets to hold the pocket clip and some had a hex nut. I really didn't want to sell this one, I think it's my last C3-BK, but I'm making it a point to downsize some things every other week.

Oh... SF didn't put Pat #'s on their early lights.
Great info thank you. I picked up a 6P Defender body also with no Pat # and was always suspicious. Now I know its the real deal as well.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even though I'm not OP, I appreciate the positive response to @Alaskantinbender's question.

Often times on enthusiast forums, people refer to auction site postings with genuine questions about authenticity and get dogpiled with "buyer beware, if you get burned on auction sites it's your own fault" and/or "you should only buy from <our favorite boutique seller at scorching MSRP>" and it can be off putting. In all fairness, it's a slippery slope and I appreciate not wanting to engage in encouraging people to buy something that may or may not be authentic. Just nice to see a civil exchange.