Surefire round body light no marked what model on tail cap

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you really get down into all of the minor variations there have been many, many changes to the 6P. As noted above trying to establish an authoritative timeline and date all of these changes/versions is very difficult as production runs would often overlap.

P.08

Newly Enlightened
P60L is not even a good one now.
There are many drop-in modules that are much brighter and have better color rendering.
No kidding, I put fresh batteries in it and then compared it to a little Streamlight Microstream. The little light was brighter! As these old Surefires are so collectable I won't use them anyway. I have a few Streamlights that can be abused and I don't care.

muichimon

Newly Enlightened
Very interesting. I know mine is from about 1994 and also has almost useless knurling. Note the 6P tail cap though. I guess they felt the aggressive knurling was too aggressive? Then went back to it later on?View attachment 24305
The knurling on older switches is rougher, with a diamond-shaped depression rather than a dug groove. This shape of knurling is not seen in subsequent SUREFIRE products. It may have been changed to match the knurling on the body.

P.08

Newly Enlightened
The guy I got this from just dropped off 3 P60 and 1 R60 bulb. Put the old pre 6P back to stock configuration.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice! That's what I did with mine. I have other lights, even a couple of other Surefires that I use more often so there is just no need to "use" the old 6P now.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The R60 is a somewhat reduced output P60 designed to allow more run time for their old rechargeable battery in the 6R flashlight.
Hard to come by these days, it has a very similar throw as the P60 with reduction in spill. If I recall correct it was listed as either 55 or 60 lumens while the P60 was listed as 65.