Surefire Saint headlamp? (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Surefire Saint headlamp?

I got mine today!

It feels good on the head, not too heavy. The "Breathe-o-prene is very soft and lightly padded.
The knob turns nicely and I can feel the 2 detents at OFF and 1/2-way point. The entire assembly can spin freely 360 degrees.

No complaints about the tint on mine, seems fine. The optic seems to be made of glass, so hopefully it won't scratch as easily as other optics.
I have to wait until tonight to actually spend some quality time with it to see how I like the beam. In a semi-dark room, it throws more than the H60w or H30 and is not as floody.

Personally, I'm glad I didn't wait for the Saint. I doubt I will be in a situation where I will need that long of runtime. Swaping out the battery is simple. Now if I were into caving, climbing, winter expeditions...I could see wanting the added runtime/weight.

I'll try to get some comparison beamshots tonight of the Minimus, H60W and H30.

EDIT: BEAMSHOTS------Pics taken about 20 feet from those trees.

The Minimus seems a little brighter in the pics than to my eyes and the Zebralights seemed brighter to my eyes that shown in the pics..I had the settings locked too..:thinking:....anyway give you a gereral idea of how different the Surefires beam is from the Zebralights.
The H30 & H60W both are very floody with no hot-spot at all.
There is a more concentrated beam from the Minimus but still floody enough for use as a headlamp.
The Minimus works well for up close tasks but also works great for med range lighting. I'd feel more comfortable riding faster on a bike at night with the Minimus than the Zerbalights.
So far I really like the Minimus!:thumbsup: The UI is great, it feels comfortable while wearing it, and the throwier beam profile are a welcome addition to my headlamp kit.

H30
HEADLAMPS004.jpg

H60W
HEADLAMPS005.jpg

Saint Minimus
HEADLAMPS006.jpg

Minimus-----------------------H60W
004-33.jpg

Last edited:

hurricane

Newly Enlightened

Just thought of this. Because the Saint/Minimus is kind of modular, it would be awesome if they offered a second cord length for those of us who will be using the light in really cold environments ... that way the battery pack could be worn next to a warm body i.e. remotely. Lithiums are great in the cold, but alkalines are awful. Both could offer longer runtimes if kept warm. I have two Petzl MYO BELTs and this is a great feature. Modular is so sweet.

Thanks to all for your Minimus reviews thus far.

Andrey

Newly Enlightened

It appears you'll be able to use filters with the Saint I'm wondering if that same option will be available on the Minimus?

That is very promising assumption. During this entire waiting period I was thinking how to build a red filter for Saint.
Could you please share more information regarding filters for Saint?

Afraid-of-the-dark

Newly Enlightened

It appears you'll be able to use filters with the Saint I'm wondering if that same option will be available on the Minimus?

I hope.

I believe I saw it on the list of accessories on one of the websites and boy genius me forgot to bookmark it. Sorry. :oops: I'll keep looking to verify. Hopefully someone here will back up my overly excited rambling...
(what can I say, I've got the fever.)

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the pics DaFABRICATA! :twothumbs I've very excited for mine to come (FedEx says it's suppose to be delivered today).

Does it look like it would be very easy to disassemble to swap out emitters for say...a Q3 5A (not that I really have any plans to mod mine)?

Has anyone confirmed what type of emitter is being used? Since SF's SSC emitters tend to angry blue, I'm guessing its a CREE?

Thanks,
Robert

Schuey2002

Enlightened

Thanks for all the wonderful pics, Guys! :twothumbs

Trying to resist the urge to buy one. Don't know how much longer I can hold out... :sick2:

swampwise

Newly Enlightened

question: i'd like to have a full saint, but don't want to wait. :rolleyes: has anybody heard whether or not the battery pack from the full saint will be compatible with the minimus? if so, what do you reckon the chances are that it will be sold separately?

hey, a man can dream, right? :twothumbs

Size15's

Flashaholic

SureFire aren't ruling out offering the battery pack as an accessory so that people can use it on their Minimus.

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the pics and ingo DaFAB :thumbsup: Any chance you could take a picture of a next to another light for reference? Something like a 6P, perhaps.

Regards,
Tempest

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the pics and ingo DaFAB :thumbsup: Any chance you could take a picture of a next to another light for reference? Something like a 6P, perhaps.

Regards,
Tempest

Tempest, Sure thing!:twothumbs

I was able to go for a nice long hike in the woods last night.
There are some trails out by the GM proving grounds in Milford. They are maintained and have some sweet stairs and bridges. Turns out its a great place to use flashlights!
The Minimus throws a lot further than the H60W or H30.
Low was used most of the time, but when on high it really lit things up farther on the trail.:thumbsup:
So far I am enjoying the Minimus.
I have been wearing it a lot since I got it and it is very comfortable.

Here it is next to the H30, H60W, E1B, old 6P

005-42.jpg

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast

:thumbsup:

Thanks for the picture and write-up :eek:

Regards,
Tempest

swampwise

Newly Enlightened

another question: if i have a fullsized saint, can i put 3 123's in the battery pack AND 1 in the front, for reserve power? because that would be flipping sweet and all the more reason for me to pre-order one NOW. :huh:

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast

another question: if i have a fullsized saint, can i put 3 123's in the battery pack AND 1 in the front, for reserve power? because that would be flipping sweet and all the more reason for me to pre-order one NOW. :huh:

I don't think so....the cap in the pictures for the Saint appears to be samller than the one that is on the Minimus.

I could be wrong though.:p

PetesTactical

Newly Enlightened

The minimus rocks! Turns everywhere you look into daylight. It is the headlamp I have been waiting for for years. My new favorite light.

Status
Not open for further replies.