Status
Not open for further replies.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Surefire Saint headlamp?

Called SF today..

I was told the Saint would be released October 21st

The Minimus has a release date of Sept. 16th

There was an anouncement over in the marketplace that the Minimus would be available 9-8-09, but was then updated and said the order was not shipped, so we can only continue to wait and see.

dcycleman

Enlightened

sounds like sf is trying to lure people in on the minimus first and then get them to buy the saint a month later

MikeF

Enlightened

I haven't been lured. I have two different applications and it is great to have the same brightness and UI on two devices that allow me to select the amount of bulk rather settling for lower brightness on the smaller package. It will be great to have a small light that can fit into a pocket for EDC use and a backup longer runtime version that can also share batteries and other parts if needed. I now carry a small Petzl that uses 3AAA and a larger Petzl with more throw and longer runtime that uses AA batteris so I am forced to carry AAA and AA. With the Minimus and Saint I can carry 123s and have spares for my LX2 and my Q123^2 as well. I can also rob which ever light I may not need as much to fit whichever one meets me current needs.

Kiessling

Flashaholic

I have been waiting for a good and small headlamp using CR123 batteries for ages now.
I can wait a little londer. The minimus is perfect for me. Don't need the Saint with its bulk.

If the beam is well made, that is. The UI we know. The beam will be interesting to see.

bernie

dcycleman

Enlightened

dont get me wrong, I want a saint, and will be buying one, I just think its funny that they release the minimus first and the saint a month later, they know people have been waiting and they hope to sell them a minimus and then the saint rather than releasing the saint first, then half the people who want the saint would just buy the full on model and call it a day. Now they'll be getting people for both modles. unless they offer an upgrade kit for the minimus, which I'm sure they will, 6 months after the release of the saint, and it will probably be like 20 bucks less than buying the saint.

MikeF

Enlightened

Wow, you would almost think they were in business to make money and stay in business. :D:thinking:

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast

My guess is that the Minimus is simpler - it's sort of a stripped down saint so they're getting it to market first simply because to make a Saint you have to first have a Minimus.

I wouldn't expect an upgrade kit - and even if it were to come out I assure you a Minimus + upgrade kit will not cost less than a Saint. :)

Size15's

Flashaholic

It seems SureFire has started to ship the Minimus

REI is the first to get stock and I'm sure that other SureFire Dealers and retailers aren't far behind.

What fascinates me about SureFire's arrival on the headlamp scene is that they've been able to bring new concepts to an established market.

As a long-term T1-TI user I've not been convinced of the utility of the Titan's UI on a key-chain EDC.
It's an altogether different situation on a headlamp - as a hands-free task light there are some many applications and situations requiring different amounts of light at different times.
I'm hopefully well-known for not admiring clickie UI's and it annoys me having to cycle through arbitrary outputs levels, flashes etc hoping to chance on a 'mode' that will have to do for what I need illuminating.
It is refreshing to simply dial up the output to exactly what you need for each task.

I can't wait for my next camping trip to Wales (likely to include climbing Snowdon by the Watkin Path in case anybody is interested)

Al :D

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast

I got a quick clarification question.... On the Saint (full blown) it will come with the piece to convert it into a minimus right? Will you also be able to remove the battery compartment at the back of the strap and such as well to convert the whole light into the minimus or is it just the front connect and the top strap that you can change/remove?

thanks

vtunderground

Enlightened

It seems SureFire has started to ship the Minimus

REI is the first to get stock and I'm sure that other SureFire Dealers and retailers aren't far behind.

Thank you!

I'm pretty excited, even though I'm holding out for the full-sized version. I've already started putting lights up for sale to finance a Saint.

vtunderground

Enlightened

On the Saint (full blown) it will come with the piece to convert it into a minimus right? Will you also be able to remove the battery compartment at the back of the strap and such as well to convert the whole light into the minimus or is it just the front connect and the top strap that you can change/remove?

From what I've read, I believe that you will be able to remove the battery compartment and convert the whole light into the Minimus.

PetesTactical

Newly Enlightened

I wonder if the minimus will run on 1 RCR. Didn't have any luck with an RCR in my Backup.

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast

Maybe, because the same headlamp can run on 1, 2, 3 CR123A or 2AA... So the higher voltage of RCR123A shouldn't be a problem?...

vtunderground

Enlightened

Maybe, because the same headlamp can run on 1, 2, 3 CR123A or 2AA... So the higher voltage of RCR123A shouldn't be a problem?...

Unless the 1, 2, or 3 CR123As are in parallel (one look at the battery compartment should tell you if the batteries are in parallel or series).

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast

Oh, that's true. I think are probably in parallel, I didn't think of that.

nmiller

Flashlight Enthusiast

I contacted REI and they said they had 100+ Minimus in stock. Does anyone know why they are the only ones to have them? Am I missing something?

Status
Not open for further replies.