Surefire Tailcaps

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Called Surefire today about my z57 i've been waiting 5 months on, and guess what? They say it will be delivered TODAY! They said they had been back-ordered for all this time and finally came in on the 2nd. Not sure if I believe that they haven't had z57's for 5 months, but if it comes today i'll be ok. Also, they are sending me a z58 to replace one I have with a dent that keeps it from screwing on.

After so long I had pretty much given up on their support of this. Looks like maybe they are going to make up for it right now.

schiesz

importculture

Newly Enlightened
How long ago did you purchase your lights from surefire? I've been a supplier for surefire in the past and have owned and still own hundreds of surefire lights. I've never had any switch failures from their lights before 2006. There was one batch of E2D's that had switch problems. I personaly had 3 with this problem. I opened up the tail switch and found the spring was out of place and I think a plastic piece was reversed. A friend who is also a current surefire supplier here had similar problems recently usually with batches and not so much at random. I do know that surefire has exceptional customer service and believe their willingness to replace failures and defects is definetly worth the price of their lights. I too hope they can remedy their problems with their switches. But I hope this doesn't turn anyone off of surefires.

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine are from anywhere between 2005 and present, but people on CPF have been having problems with z57 clickies since 2003 or before. Probably about the same time they were released from Surefire.

schiesz

Monocrom

Flashaholic
How long ago did you purchase your lights from surefire? I've been a supplier for surefire in the past and have owned and still own hundreds of surefire lights. I've never had any switch failures from their lights before 2006. There was one batch of E2D's that had switch problems. I personaly had 3 with this problem. I opened up the tail switch and found the spring was out of place and I think a plastic piece was reversed. A friend who is also a current surefire supplier here had similar problems recently usually with batches and not so much at random. I do know that surefire has exceptional customer service and believe their willingness to replace failures and defects is definetly worth the price of their lights. I too hope they can remedy their problems with their switches. But I hope this doesn't turn anyone off of surefires.

If you search for old threads about the issue, you'll find that Surefire clickies have actually developed a very bad reputation for failure. (The momentary switches are regarded as 100% reliable).

I have 8 Surefires myself. Half with forward-clickie switches. All of them are reliable. But many other CPFers have experienced premature failures. Surefire is apparently aware of the problem, as they just send out new clickies whenever someone tells them that they encountered a problem. Another CPFer, named StainlessSteel, found that the problem is a rather easy fix. A couple of drops of Gun oil in a couple of holes inside the clickies causes them to work normally.

Still, there are some CPFers who are wondering why Surefire could not have just used a couple of drops of Gun oil.

Taboot

Enlightened
So far, it has taken 1 email, 2 phone calls and 2 months and still no tailcap, which broke the day after I bought it...

I love SF, but I haven't experienced the top notch customer service that others have...

It's probably an isolated case though, as so many others have very high praise for their service.

Mine finally came. It appears to be an improved design. It has a metal ring around the three plastic spring retainers. This should help prevent the plastic from breaking, which is what happened to mine.

LumenMan

Enlightened
Hopefully I'll get the replacement tailcap for my 6P Defender soon :popcorn: I would like the light back in action soon since it's my duty light.

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well my new z57 came like they said it would, and it is definitely the new design. It is also the loudest clickie i've ever heard. I'll take a loud working one over a quiet non-working one anyday though.

schiesz

greenstuffs

Banned
Well my new z57 came like they said it would, and it is definitely the new design. It is also the loudest clickie i've ever heard. I'll take a loud working one over a quiet non-working one anyday though.

schiesz

Glad it work out for you.

Wassernaut

Newly Enlightened
Well, I'm another Surefire owner with a busted tail cap. Bah! Humbug! I received an E1e for Christmas, and it lasted all the way to March. I picked it up and clicked it on - worked perfectly, tried to click it off - nuttin! I had to make it a twistie. I e-mailed Surefire and related my misery and got an almost immediate response, saying they were shipping me a replacement - guaranteed to work just like the last one. Gulp! :confused:

Larry

Last edited:

dano101

Enlightened
hey i dont know if this was covered on here, but are the problem with ur clickies mainly on the lights that come with clickies? or on the sold alone clickies as well. i was just thinking that out of the almost 10 surefires ive owned, 4 came with clickies, 6 others (6p, c2,m2, m3t etc) had clickies later put on them. the 4 that came factory clicky all failed btwn 1 day and 1 month. the ones that were not clicky from the factory have never failed me

wfbont007

Newly Enlightened
I bought a Surefire G2ZLed about 3 weeks ago. Today the tailcap broke and it won't allow me to push it in. I will be calling Surefire in the morning.

LumenMan

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF ! :wave:

Surefire has world class customer service, so I'm confident that they will take good care of you. I humbly suggest that you call on Tuesday since Monday's are the worst day for customer service reps :)

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
huh, i never thought about that. all the things that go wrong on the weekends build up on monday. good thinking!

LumenMan

Enlightened
huh, i never thought about that. all the things that go wrong on the weekends build up on monday. good thinking!

I'm just sharing my experiences from having to wait for prolonged periods of time while listening to "musack" or "promo" spots :shakehead:)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I bought a Surefire G2ZLed about 3 weeks ago. Today the tailcap broke and it won't allow me to push it in. I will be calling Surefire in the morning.

That model comes with a momentary / twist constant-on switch.

Did you buy a brand new G2ZL or a used one. If it's the latter, the previous owner might have swapped out the tailcap.

fishmanstan

Newly Enlightened
I've had my E1L for about a year now, and currently have the 3rd clicky installed. Shortly after I got it, a white plastic piece broke and came out when I changed the battery. Called Surefire and received a replacement. About 2 weeks ago, the same thing happened and I just received the new tail cap last week. This tail cap appears slightly different than the first 2. The white plastic piece that keeps breaking has been replaced with a black plastic piece. It has also been upgraded with a metal reinforcement. We'll see how long this clicky will last.