Surefire U2 any reason not to buy....?

tracker870

Enlightened
Though I use many of my Fenix lights daily, I still have tasks for my U2 (sleeve removed, rechargeable cell)!
I was lucky with my first and only U2, great beam, exc. white light.
I'm down to four Surefires for my personal use (had more at one time).

easilyled

Flashaholic
mebiuspower said:
I love it when people say this... you're buying available technology for christ's sake...of course there'll be better and more powerful flash lights in the future.

It's like saying "Oh I don't have a computer now because I'm waiting for Pentium 5 to come out soon." :ohgeez:

Wrong.

You are buying yesterday's technology today.

No matter how nice the U2 is, the luxeons it is using are only half
as efficient as leds in other lights available right now.

I know I'd be pretty peed off if I bought one now, and in 2 weeks time,
a new updated Surefire light that was twice as efficient came out.

This is quite likely by the way.

coldcase

Newly Enlightened
easilyled said:
Wrong.

I totally agree. It's technology already available from other light companies. Unless you absolutely need a U2 now wait to see the CREE line from Surefire. Especially since the U2 can't be described as inexpensive.

EV_007

Enlightened
Oldie but goodie. The U2 still holds its own. I did a side by side beam comparison of the U2 and the Fenix P3D. My sigline takes you to the beamshots.

As I've said before, if SureFire develps a CREE version of the U2, it would be game over.

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
EV_007 said:
As I've said before, if SureFire develps a CREE version of the U2, it would be game over.

I wish Surefire would make a Cree version of U2 that would take AA batteries, but that will never happen I guess. :mecry:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Madvillian said:
More than likely headed to pich up a U2 today. I have looked at several reviews and cant seem to find anything bad about them.

Then you haven't looked hard enough, my friend.

One thing: Tailcap switch = horribly unreliable on a significant percentage of U2s. There are some very unhappy U2 owners on CPF.

Yeah, you can send them back for a replacement.... but some members outside of America have been waiting several months to get their fixed U2s back. All the negative comments by CPFers caused me to take the light off my list of future purchases.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whether you are buying a flashlight or a computer it will be yesterdays technology today no matter when you buy it. The U2 is still a very well designed flashlight and still competes with the newer flashlights. As I read/buy these newer flashlight I am finding out they are still not that great.
easilyled said:
Wrong.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had 2 tailcaps fail and Surefire sent me replacements. After I looked closer I found that you can disassemble these tailcaps, and apply a little grease to the moving parts and now they both work without any problems. The other thing is that I found these are one of very few tailcaps that can be repaired unlike others if they fail then you have to throw them away. They are designed to be repair out in the field.
Monocrom said:
Then you haven't looked hard enough, my friend.

One thing: Tailcap switch = horribly unreliable on a significant percentage of U2s. There are some very unhappy U2 owners on CPF.

Yeah, you can send them back for a replacement.... but some members outside of America have been waiting several months to get their fixed U2s back. All the negative comments by CPFers caused me to take the light off my list of future purchases.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
FlashKat said:
I had 2 tailcaps fail and Surefire sent me replacements. After I looked closer I found that you can disassemble these tailcaps, and apply a little grease to the moving parts and now they both work without any problems. The other thing is that I found these are one of very few tailcaps that can be repaired unlike others if they fail then you have to throw them away. They are designed to be repair out in the field.

I seriously doubt that they were designed to be repaired out in the field. If that's the case, why have so many owners sent them back to Surefire?..... Including those who live overseas.

Thank You for letting us know that the fix is a rather simple one. I'm really hoping you shared that info with Surefire.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are a simple design...The reason people send them back is for warranty, but also it is the same reason you take your car to a mechanic, because you don't have the know how. BTW I do most of my own repairs on my car unless it is beyond my ability.
Monocrom said:
I seriously doubt that they were designed to be repaired out in the field. If that's the case, why have so many owners sent them back to Surefire?..... Including those who live overseas.

Thank You for letting us know that the fix is a rather simple one. I'm really hoping you shared that info with Surefire.

TMorita

Enlightened
The only reason I can think of for you to not buy a Surefire U2 is that I'll be tempted to buy one.

Honestly.

Toshi

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bought one of the 'first batch' U2s. I know, I know "Serial number doesn't mean anything" - but I can't help but notice the serial numbers increase over time. It's logical. So I don't buy the 'doesn't mean anything' explanation. I preordered, mine came in November 2004. Actually, I can't believe it's been so long.. and I can't believe I've been a CPF member EVEN longer!! Wow ;)

Mine's one of those with 18650 support, awesome LuxV WA tint (slightly reddish, improves appearance substantially), and perfect tailswitch. Been through Hell and high water. Has consistently come out looking better than the owner. This is the light I would trust to stand by me when the world comes to an end and I honestly don't know what I would do if anything happened to it. I would buy another U2; but this one has all the special features you can't get any longer. :(

But while I have it I'll enjoy it....it's a masterpiece. If I had only one light this would be it. End of story.

Last edited:

SCblur

Enlightened
KevinL said:
But while I have it I'll enjoy it....it's a masterpiece. If I had only one light this would be it. End of story.
That's how I feel about mine.

mebiuspower

Newly Enlightened
easilyled said:

So when SF adopts Cree LEDs, Cree or Luxeon will make new & improved version of their offerings and other companies will likely adopt it long before SF does. It's an endless cycle. So what's your point?

Oh and just a little reminder, if you buy one TODAY you can start using it TODAY. :laughing:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why are there so many U2's going back for repair, bad tail caps, etc in the first place? Isn't the point of paying all that money for a Surefire is to have a "sure fire" flash light? I'd be pretty angry if a $230-250 LED flashlight failed on me.

easilyled

Flashaholic
mebiuspower said:
So when SF adopts Cree LEDs, Cree or Luxeon will make new & improved version of their offerings and other companies will likely adopt it long before SF does. It's an endless cycle. So what's your point?

Oh and just a little reminder, if you buy one TODAY you can start using it TODAY.

Its a matter of personal opinion.

The U2 is a good light and for those who can't wait for the Cree
line to come out then that's fine.

Personally I would prefer to wait because there is such a huge difference
between the luxeons and the Crees/Seouls that I think its worth the wait.

True, improvements will continue but ....

What you may not realise is how long it took for this quantum leap in
efficiency of leds.

Luxeons have only had minimal increases over the last two or three years
and it may be a long time before there is an improvement like this again.

Last edited:

Luna

Enlightened
The U2 vs Cree/Seoul...

I modded a Gladius and put a Seoul in it. As always I was flabbergasted by the improvement and quickly compared it to a the WWOS U2. It was brighter!

Well as time goes on, I will say I use the modded gladius more but not because it is brighter. I think the color difference and the hotspot cause me to be a bit quick on the trigger, they are pretty close in output. The U2 really does light up an area better, but need a new switch for it and I just havent used it much lately. The external level selector is still the best way to have a multilevel light configured (IMHO).