Surefire U2 any reason not to buy....?

Luna

Enlightened
Just the replacement they sent me(this is an early U2 so it was the first run of switches with 2 fingers). I have a SW02 on another body but it just upsets the balance .

btw, This swithc has a broken plastic center. I guess it got dropped on the swtich end and broke...so see, the Gladius isn't the only one with that issue :)

Madvillian

Newly Enlightened
Ok.. I have a question to kind of change things up a bit here. Looking at the selector switch on the U2. Is this thing completely water tight even when you are changing the settings from lower to higher and vice versa? I would guess that it is considering it uses a hall effect sensor. Are there just magnets in the selector switch? How is the switch sealed if not.

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer "flood" lights and the U2 fits the bill, with a Leef 18650 body and Leef or RPM tailcap IMO, it's "perfect"

150810369-M.jpg
150810393-M.jpg
150810382-M.jpg
150810417-M.jpg

jeffb

zhuntai

Newly Enlightened
Got my U2 end of last year as my first real flashlight and absolutely love it. Granted I don't have that much to compare it to (although I gave my mum a L2T shortly after). U2 works for me because of the 6 modes and mine fits 18650s. The lower settings I find to be slightly more useful. Only time I think I've used my highest setting is showing it off hahaha - but it worked suitably nicely for that ;).Built quality is excellent and it's a light I trust to work when I press the button and even if not, I can still give someone a decent whack with it.

The build is so strong in fact it ripped through my hole-proof, sports, designed-so-someone-can-tackle-and-lift-you-up-by-them shorts. Had it in my pockets while I was jogging one night and must've bumped into something... next thing I know there was a perfect bezel-shaped hole haha. Not a scratch on my light :).

Tailcaps I haven't had much of a problem with... I purchased mine around the time of the clicky failures and ordered a new one pre-emptively. Received mine in Australia less than one week later. It was absolutely AMAZING. My tailcap did fail on my but I lubed it up with some nyogel and it's revived. Would recommend that as a solution for anyone who is having difficulties.

I'd say I'm a faily infrequent user and run-time isn't causing me any hassels. I think I bought a 12 pack of Surefire 123s when I got my light more than 6 months ago and I still have 2 spares. Only time I've drained my light to strobing was to see what would happen when I was runing low.

Sure it was expensive but I'm still glad I talked myself into it. Hoping the incan GL4+RO-9L I'm thinking about getting lives up to it :).

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
jeffb said:
I prefer "flood" lights and the U2 fits the bill, with a Leef 18650 body and Leef or RPM tailcap IMO, it's "perfect"

150810369-M.jpg
150810393-M.jpg
150810382-M.jpg
150810417-M.jpg

jeffb

That actually looks really good! Leef just needs to give us the bezel-down clip and that really might just solve my 18650 on new U2 problems. Initially I wasn't so warm about them but the photos make it look really good. Nice bokeh too ;)

JJH

Newly Enlightened
jeffb said:

150810369-M.jpg
150810393-M.jpg
150810382-M.jpg
150810417-M.jpg

jeffb
Hey, where to find the RPM tailcap---it looks so cool & stands well.
Thanks,
JJ

Monocrom

Flashaholic
WadeF said:
Why are there so many U2's going back for repair, bad tail caps, etc in the first place? Isn't the point of paying all that money for a Surefire is to have a "sure fire" flash light? I'd be pretty angry if a $230-250 LED flashlight failed on me.

Got to admit, that's why I never bought one.

BTW, good to see you here, Wade.

Welcome to CPF! :twothumbs

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Madvillian said:
Monocrom. What is your avatar? MF Doom?

It's somewhat based on Vega from the old Street Fighter series, but with black hair instead of blonde. And my version is wearing a black T-shirt instead of being almost bare-chested.

I've got a bunch of different sizes of him. :)