Survival knife

SnWnMe

Enlightened
The KABAR is still doing a very good job of preparing campground and putting enemies in the ground after all these years.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
busse's are really nice but if and when i ever buy one i do not think i would ever want to take a 500+knife out to the woods and baton with it.nope just take it outa the safe once and awhile and admire it.
WTF?? That's nonsense! Busse knives are made to take the heaviest punishment possible and laugh at you.

I'm beating the hell out of my brand new NMFBM and she still shaves like my razor blades. You simply can't destroy these knives without good power tools...

PonchoTA

Newly Enlightened
If I may be so bold as to jump in, I have a question for the gurus here!

I like the idea of the survival knife with the hollowed out handle so you can put matches and saw and other assorted things plus a metal cap to pound things with a compass on the inside, etc.

Is there one that is particularly well made that you could recommend? Also, what kind of things would you put in the handle? I could definitely see putting a flint, tender, waterproof strike-anywhere matches. What else would fit in there?

Thanks! :D
Paul

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I may be so bold as to jump in, I have a question for the gurus here!

I like the idea of the survival knife with the hollowed out handle so you can put matches and saw and other assorted things plus a metal cap to pound things with a compass on the inside, etc.

Is there one that is particularly well made that you could recommend? Also, what kind of things would you put in the handle? I could definitely see putting a flint, tender, waterproof strike-anywhere matches. What else would fit in there?

Thanks! :D
Paul

the only knife of that type id recommend are the one piece Chris Reeve knives. read more here - http://www.chrisreeve.com/onepiece.htm

theres a "whats in your spy capsule" thread at edcforums.com that has a great listing of items that fit. also if you find a post of mine there, click on the link in my sig and theres a post with links to a few of the spy capsule threads.

typically hollow handles dont hold up well to abuse. the Chris Reeve one piece knives are the only ones id really trust. id still just recommend a good heavy duty knife and carry a spy capsule on the side instead. have heard that the CR round handles twist a bit in the hand under heavy use.

SnWnMe

Enlightened
Seriously though, putting all your survival gear in one place is not a good idea. What happens if you lose the knife?:sigh:

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
busse's are really nice but if and when i ever buy one i do not think i would ever want to take a 500+knife out to the woods and baton with it.nope just take it outa the safe once and awhile and admire it.

:shrug: i just ordered a Busse NM SF Nat Outlaw and plan on beating the hell outta it. thats what it was specifically designed and made for!

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
the only knife of that type id recommend are the one piece Chris Reeve knives. read more here - http://www.chrisreeve.com/onepiece.htm

theres a "whats in your spy capsule" thread at edcforums.com that has a great listing of items that fit. also if you find a post of mine there, click on the link in my sig and theres a post with links to a few of the spy capsule threads.

typically hollow handles dont hold up well to abuse. the Chris Reeve one piece knives are the only ones id really trust. id still just recommend a good heavy duty knife and carry a spy capsule on the side instead. have heard that the CR round handles twist a bit in the hand under heavy use.
Chris Reeve's "one-piece" knifes are reliable as long as you get the version made with A2 Tool Steel. The S30V models failed miserably.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
:shrug: i just ordered a Busse NM SF Nat Outlaw and plan on beating the hell outta it. thats what it was specifically designed and made for!
Well said!

As Jerry said when Noss said: "Hey Jerry, I'm will be testing a Busse knife and i'm going to abuse it, jus so you know..." Jerry replied: "Oh yeah, go beat the s@$%&! out of that knife!"

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have no problems beating on CGs, but have a hard time doing the same to numbered LEs. I know, I know, I just can't seem to do it :( ...

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
And yes, the CRK integrals are sweet. I have handled Shadows, Projects and Mountaineers and have found the knurling to be first-rate. Cuts well regardless of the relatively low HRC.

Archie Cruz

Banned
I use a Gear Ninja Outdoorsman as an all-around and survival knife. It will chop up to 8" diameter branches. No Log cabin builder though:crackup:
Outdoors.jpg

Last edited:

cy

Flashaholic
one off custom blades are the coolest... but what good is it... if one can't use it?

opening day....black power is this morning... sure hope I get to break in my new one-off Damascus folder. Maker is John Poythress... late president of The Georgia Custom Knifemakers' Guild. http://www.poythresscustomknives.com/

damascus.JPG

damascus2.JPG

damascus3.JPG

damascus4.JPG

cy

Flashaholic
happy to report damascus poythress blade works good as it looks.
field dressed, then later skinned/quartered a deer, including hacking bones.

afterwards... damascus blade was still reasonably sharp!
fairly certain this is what the maker intended.

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
CY the user :nana:

I think it is cool that you use all your tools as they were ment to be.
EDC is what its all about.
Even though i try to not get my lights/knifes dirty every time.

Gary123

Enlightened
I was sorry to let that one go, but I'm really glad you put it to use. That's a high carbon steel damascus. Made for cutting.

So tell me Cy, was that handle comfortable under heavy use like John said he designed it to be?

cy

Flashaholic
yup.. handle on poythress blade was extremely comfortable!
chunky Sambar stag handle makes for a good hold under slippery conditions.

ended up skinning entire deer, instead of using my std kitchen butcher knife.

out5yder

Newly Enlightened
The S1's (along with several other models) are a laminate design, not one type of steel throughout. The A1 (S1's bigger brother) did extremely well in a torture test at KnifeTests.com. As already mentioned, the Bark River warranty doesn't cover abuse, just manufacturing defects. I like Bark River knives and the people who make them. They are doing a custom handle for my S1. I just didn't find any of their blade styles appealing. I would really have to see some quantitative proof that Bark River's A2 is "much superior" to Fallkniven's VG-10/420J2 laminate. I am curious as to what testing you have done with both types of blade designs? I can cite this thread, where there have been apparent problems with the BRKT goloks. Mike is great in admitting that it is a concern and I'm certain he will figure out what is going on. I eagerly await your presentation of the facts regarding my apparent gross error in purchasing an S1 over a BRKT offering.

I would suggest you to watch on the same KnifeTests.com site the destruction test for the AK bayonet and then watch the same destruction test for the Fallkniven A1. Just live the rating and watch the videos. You'll see the edge and the tip of the Fallkniven is chipped and consumed during the concrete impacts and you can see the 6 millimeters thick Fallkniven breaking during the body weight test, while the AK bayonet being only 3 millimeters thick and only 3 centimeters wide had no problem with either of these tests.

I have myself a Fallkniven A2 and a Fallkniven u2. While their folders I consider to be very good (stainlessness and high edge retention is all I would expect from a folding knife), as regards the big fixed blade I was constantly dissapointed. The edge is literary consumming during hard use (chips like glass) and the lateral strength is too low for such a thick knife. I have bent the tip of the knife (I repeat: bent, not broken) very easy by trying to dig into wood. The wood had no problem and the (only 2 millimeters deep) stabbed knife tip bent in that wood. I had no such a problem with an AK bayonet. I give this example because these knives are intended to be tactical/military knives.

I don't know how Bark River knives are, because I didn't used them. But I have used a lot of many other knives, including a variety of carbon steels, SK5, stainless steels, INFI, and other steels. As compared to others, I consider the Fallkniven laminated VG10+420J2 steel to be somwhere around the average, but far from the top regarding durability. It is maybe in the top if compared only to other stainless steels. But I think most tough tool steels if properly heat treated are much better for large blades than it.