Survival Preparedness

Brock

Flashaholic
Oh Craig is going to love that one
smile.gif

Albany Tom

Enlightened
I should get some non-stick camping gear. Everybody keeps swearing by it. The first reviews of the MSR stuff were terrible, though. Lux - you've obviously been happy with yours, what do you use?

One of the things I keep a supply of is heavy paper plates and bowls, and plastic forks and spoons. I've found those much easier to deal with than cleaning household or camping stuff when we've had power or water outages. Not good for camping, but cheap and easy to store for home use.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the compliment about this topic, brightnorm.

James makes a point that must be considered: If evacutaion is recommended or ordered, then evacuate (if you can: some can't). Tropical systems have a habit of wreaking havoc well inland, not just on the coast.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a Coleman propane bottle top stove. It had a flakey valve on it: only way it would stay on, was at the quick boil setting. Otherwise it would shut off on its own. Very frustrating.

With backpacking stoves, I try to keep my cooking as simple as possible. After all, I only have X amount of fuel (propane or butane). The less time needed to prepare something, the better.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Albany Tom:
I should get some non-stick camping gear. Everybody keeps swearing by it. The first reviews of the MSR stuff were terrible, though. Lux - you've obviously been happy with yours, what do you use?...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I have the 3 nonstick pans my Trangia came with, and I have an MSR frypan. I'm surprised to hear about the MSR cookware. I bought it for I think $11 (EMS at Crossgates mall), and I've used it several dozen times and it works really well. Was it the Blacklite nonstick line you saw reviewed?

Albany Tom

Enlightened
Originally posted by Lux Luthor:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Albany Tom:
I should get some non-stick camping gear. Everybody keeps swearing by it. The first reviews of the MSR stuff were terrible, though. Lux - you've obviously been happy with yours, what do you use?...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I have the 3 nonstick pans my Trangia came with, and I have an MSR frypan. I'm surprised to hear about the MSR cookware. I bought it for I think $11 (EMS at Crossgates mall), and I've used it several dozen times and it works really well. Was it the Blacklite nonstick line you saw reviewed?</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yes. The reviews were when that line first came out, and the comments were that the teflon flaked off. I'll have to give it a try, sounds like they've fixed it. I hear they even have a stove that simmers now!

2dogs

Enlightened
A storm came through central CA in the last few days. We lost power for about 6 hours Saturday. Would have been no big deal except I was right in the middle of a new book (Timeline) . The kids were at Grandma's and my wife was at work (911 dispatcher). Tha Alladin kerosene lamp and a few candles got me through the book. Many people are still without power and more rain is in the forcast. The last storm had winds to 60mph, trees down all over the county. I spent most of my "survival" time helping neighbors. Passed out a few candles and a couple of flashlights, helped with a gasoline pump, cleaned up several downed tree branches. I didn't need my generator. Today my in-laws called, no power at their house for about 28 hours and could I bring my generator. Sure, no problemo. Well guess what the generator wouldn't start. I try to run it every month but I don't think I had since July. Fresh gas, new plug, kicked it. No go. Fortunately I know my small engine guy quite well and $92.97 later it fired up. The points were totally corroded. The generator never got wet but it was stored under my house. I feel quite good about my ability to survive minor and major events but this simple storm embarassed me. Many friends without power for 4 days. Hope their generators are stored better than mine.

MicroE

Enlightened
O.K. people. I am putting together a PSK (Personal Survival Kit) for each car. I've never done this before.

What do you have in yours?
What do you use as the container?

---Marc

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have a PSK, as I don't drive and rarely leave the house. The only times I leave the house are for monthly grocery shopping, doctor(s) appointments, and this month I violate my rule of not going to the theater.

The way I have things set up, is that I don't need to go out. So if nasty weather comes along, I am all set.

2dogs

Enlightened
Re your PSK; do you live in a city? What do you expect your kit to be able help you with? Wife, kids, pets? any particular concerns? The info you provide will help me with recommendations.

MicroE

Enlightened
2dogs---I exist in suburbia. I need to assemble two kits. One for my car (basically a one person vehicle) and one for my wife's car (two kids in tow). I have no special concerns except first aid supplies.

In over-crowded NJ if you drive off the side of the road there is good chance that you'll end up in somebody's front yard, rather than in a Montana-like no-man's land where you will wait days for someone to drive by. True out-of-house-and-in-the-woods survival isn't really a concern here.

Getting stuck in a massive day-long traffic jam after a natural or man-made disaster is a real concern.---Marc