Sydney meet run2!

Protaeus

Enlightened
The meet in 2005 over the water looked awesome! What happened to everyone to those Sydneysiders???!?

Im fine with Carrs park again, I was just wondering, are there other kind of environments around the area? Shining a light across a field is all good, but perhaps there are other things we can test them out on? - Just a thought.

Missionaryman's location also looks interesting....the lack of any lighting in the area is pretty tempting to me.

I'll go check out that location in Epping.

Heres a google earth pic of it anyway. See if anyone is interested.
Oval.jpg

Delvance

Enlightened
Protaeus,

Yup, there are definitely other environments to try the lights out. We could always do a walk of the area (which will cover, bush, carparks, fields, pavement, water, all with no light around). Just might be a pain for some members due to the high number of flashlights they'll be bringing. I guess we could always just location surf... say 1/2 to 45 minutes at one area, then move to another area with a different environment etc and finish it off in the fields once again for beamshots.

Hotbeam,
Looked good! As Protaeus mentioned, seems a fair few syd. members have dropped off :(.

Photongun

Newly Enlightened
Ahh here everyone is on page 2. I felt abandoned for a short while. haha

I'm happy to go to the large park in hurstville (Carrs park?) as it seems to be the most appropriate venue to accomodate numerous insane individuals whilst inflicting mimimal public disturbance and offering seating/gazebo's to boot.

I'm actually located in Merrylands at the moment and would prefer to drive to Hurstville rather than trundle on up the road to Guildford. Not only do people die in gang related drive by shootings in guildford but its generally not very pretty. A place where I'm happy to let shadows reign supreme as who knows what our lights might uncover.

Also I'd personally prefer not to park crawl and go trekking through the bush. By all means I respect that others might want to do this but give me a chance to come along for a while and then depart when the trekking and transportation begin! In short I'm happy setting up and staying at the one location.

Orbit? Excuse me?! I didn't read you annouce that you're not coming?!... Nah I couldn't have. Especially after all the sensational claims that you've made about your monstrously powerful lights. To me, you not attending two consecutive meets after continually big-noting your artillery means perhaps you're the sorta fella prone to exaggeration or even telling fibby wibbies. I really think you oughta come and impress your fellow flashaholics with your retina searing collection....lights that scoff at 300 metres worth of throwing distance MIGHT I ADD. Whaddaya say buddy? (making lots of big claims is one thing, but failing to back 'em up is another) And don't gimme the whole "I've got nothing to prove" caper, its a little worn.
mad71.gif

I'm not having a go...its just that.. well ok ok Im having a go. ha-ha
rant.gif

Orbit

Enlightened
Well Big P, unfortunatley i hit a roo going around a roundabout in town:huh2:
so have to repair the ute, eating into my slush fund a bit.

Don't worry though, when i'm in sydney next, i'll quite happily drop by and have a chat so you don't feel left out. I'll even have 10lights with me....

as for the claims.....i've posted beam shots, pics of the lights etc etc
so bring it on!:)
:touche:

also it's over a 1000km trip for me to get to syd and back, so it's not a case of rolling outa bed and turning up.

P.s. if you have msn PM me your address and i'll add you, so we can chat.

Last edited:

Photongun

Newly Enlightened
Fair enough orbit I wasn't aware that you live 500kms from the big smoke. I still, however,feel my tirade holds true as you are the one individual amoungst the the patrons of this thread that makes it ABUNDANTLY CLEAR that you have lights that are in class of their own.

I say don't dangle the cheese for too long coz your bound to rub someone up the wrong way (me?(haha)). And don't get me wrong I don't mind if someone (you?) has the best & brightest collection of lights this side of the hemisphere, I simply don't want to relentlessly hear about it without ever seeing it!

I don't want to foster too much animosity or spread anymore negativity on this thread so I'm gonna button it even if you rebut this post. Just be aware that I'm the sorta fella thats acutely aware of people who make a concerted effort to display superiorty of some kind but never actually show their metal.

And thanks for the alias 'big P' I don't mind wearing it at all.

Orbit

Enlightened
Ok Big P point taken.

But anyone who has talked to me, knows what i'm about, hence the invatation to chat.
A bit of freindly banter and competition has never hurt anyone. To this end i'm sorry if it put you on the wrong foot.
showing some pics of my lights was intended as banta, not some macho testosterone charged, mines bigger then yours locker room jaunt.
I'm as disapointed as the next person in missing out on 2 meets in a row, but sometimes the best laid plans go astray, and i can't help that.

As for dangleing the cheese, I don't understand why you would be rubbed up the wrong way, but i appologise for the effect my "cheese dangleing" had on you. I am willing to talk to you further on skype, MSN even PM or email.
Perhaps your confusing animosity for disapointment, i hope this is the case.

Look foward to hearing from you,
Kind Reguards,
Orb.

Protaeus

Enlightened
all this talk of dangling and cheese and rubbing is wierding me out :p

Sorry you cant make it orbit!

Carrs park is looking like the venue now, which is fine by me :)

Any day of the week is good for me :) All I need is food and darkness :)

Cant wait to see what some of you mod guys have come up with!

Meanwhile, who's staying up to watch Australia kick Japan tomorrow night?!?!?!?!?!

Last edited:

Photongun

Newly Enlightened
hahah my last post was about 90% misconstrued. A few years ago I would've fielded through the thread cutting and pasting snippets to reinforce and clarify my arguement.

Now as an old man approaching my late twenties I don't have the puff. haha

Suffice to say, its the macho testosterone fuelled banter that is harmless and doesn't bother me in the least. Anyway...

So whens this bloody meet happening already! :naughty:

Solomon MK2

Newly Enlightened
Well, as I recall, there was HOTBEAM... Baijaman & Tkgear (non-regular members now, but if you email them, they will likely respond) and me!

Tiny little get together under the harbour bridge, but too many of the locals turned up at the park to squizz at our cool flashlights (and there was too much ambient light, besides) so we took it to that other park... over at Elizabeth Bay or something...

One of the members lit up a quarter of the Opera House with one of his goodies at 3 miles away. All in all, it was great! :grin2:

Protaeus said:
The meet in 2005 over the water looked awesome! What happened to everyone to those Sydneysiders???!?

Photongun

Newly Enlightened
I'm tired of waiting it's gettin' aggravatin'!

I'm thinking of holding my own meet soon, so far the number of registered attendees is small. Very small. So who wants to join me?

HAHA

Slow pokes...

missionaryman

Enlightened
it's funny at the last one I got there first, looking suspicious and carrying a backpack till I saw someone else get out of their car looking suspicious and carrying a backpack, then another and soon we realised that though we never met we all knew each other all along - flashaholism just brings people together.

I think for the next meet we should all wear a head light or something so we can tell who we are. I think I nearly got sold drugs because I thought someone lurking in the shadows with a backpack was a CPF member...

Delvance

Enlightened
Haha Missionaryman! Hrmm or have a torch in hand ?

Ok seems like alot of people don't mind the last venue we were at, so i'll call the meet at Carrs Park once again then. So it's Carrs Park, on Carwar Avenue that's off Princes highway. How does the last week of june thursday sound ? That's the 29th of June. We'll probably meet a bit earlier this time for pizza first then play :).

Photongun

Newly Enlightened
haha missionary...you guys come as drug dealers, I'll come as a hit man. I've just purchased what looks very similar to a gun case to house my lights. With the right attire I'll definately look the part.

I'm happy with end of June except I won't have the xevision or the night hunterII yet. Ive decided against the maxabeam due to the outrageous quote they gave me for a basic package. Battery usd$500?! Charger USD$500??!
With the light itself, these 2 essential items, a small case and shipping over $USD3000!. Forget it. I'll wait for the barn barner and early next month I'll purchase (painfully) the nighthunterII for USD$1749 plus shipping. It'll hurt but I really like the idea that its beam is even more pencil than the maxabeam.

So yeah all I'll be bringing by the end of this month is the list below and possibly a SF M6 depending if I can scrap the cash together.

Protaeus

Enlightened
mmmmm.....M6.... Im looking forward to doing a comparison with my rechargeable M4 and MN21LA.

Thursday is good.....I'll be there, unless someone offers me Sun-in-a-can.

Also looking forward to starting some mag mods myself.

I should hopefully have an Orb NS when I go...unless the mineral glass doesnt turn up or something.

see you all there!

missionaryman

Enlightened
June 29th my butt!

We're not meeting until Photongun gets his HID lights and hopefully his M6, I would love to compare a ROP to an M6.
Do you remember what we wwere all asking as we walked back to the cars last time? "did anyone bring any HID lights"

It's still ringing in my ears...

missionaryman

Enlightened
oh and I have another interesting mod to bring along on the meet:
I had found a Coleman 4AA tent light/flashlight combination light, the type that you slide the body and it becomes a lantern. It has 4AA batteries in a carrier and a 3" smooth reflector so I was originally going to whack in 4 NIMH and a Magnum Star 3 Cell bulb but at about 80 lumens it wasn't really worth it.
I had 2 14500 LiIons not really being used so I shorted two of the sockets and inerted the AA LiIons for 7.2v and inserted the 5 cell Magnumstar xenon bulb - 200 odd lumens and sparkling white with a small hotspot and 45 minutes run time, not bad with excellent throw from the 3" reflector.
But who ever said 200 was enough lumens? Insert the ROP low bulb and there you have 550 lumens in a 3" smooth reflector - this is one cool light, heaps of throw and a fairly good beam with adjustability for focus or flood.

So far the most versatile light I have is the 2C maglite with 2 x 18650's, I can set it up for:
1150 lumens 30 minutes
550 lumens 70 minutes
200 lumens 140 minutes - LED white beam with this bulb
Sub $200 dollar investment

Last edited:

Photongun

Newly Enlightened
I already have my HID lights missionary. What I'm waiting/saving for is the NHII, XEvison barn barner (maybe just maybe a USL in late July) and possibly an M6. I like the sound of your supercharged lantern btw haha. Whats next?!

I'm having trouble making up my mind as to whether I should get an m6 or not. My Warrior K500 hid puts out 450 nicely focused unwavering lumens for a good hour using 4x cr123. I have started used regulated rcr123 batteries in this light and manage to squeeze half an hour of juice of them before their cut off activates. On top of all this the K500 is smaller than the M6.

The M6 not only uses an extra 2 batteries but it is unlikely I will be able to use my rechargeables because they have a circuit that protects against rapid discharge and to be honest I would only be interested in using the M6 is 500 lumen mode (20 minutes runtime). In short I'm trying (and failing) to justify the purchase when comparing the M6 to my K500.

Can anyone make an arguement for the M6 with all considered?

Latest posts