- Sylvania LED Power Failure Night Light -

sed6

Enlightened
Well, these rock! I've had a few of the $10 incan power failure light you see in stores, even modded them with drop-in led bulbs, but was never happy with the results or price. A simple Google search turned up these lights which I now adore.

2421823490048482531S600x600Q85.jpg

Up top is a single led which serves as a photo sensor controlled night light when plugged in. Below that we see the photo sensor, a charge/power status led, then the power slide switch. On the bottomside are 3 leds in a small reflector with a slightly covex plastic lens.

2615673300048482531S600x600Q85.jpg

Operation is simple, just slide the switch between Auto, Off and On. On means the flashlight is on, night light is off, plugged into the wall or not. Off means everything is off. Auto means the flashlight will come on when power is lost and the night light is turned on via the photo sensor. A simple but well thought control.

2106810490048482531S600x600Q85.jpg

The nightlight is bright. I'd say as bright or brighter than you typical 4W night light bulb. If you find it too bright you could pop off the protective clear 'dome' and put a single wrap of wax paper around the inside to calm it down. Or you could do like I did and replace the white led with a red led. I prefer a red night light in my bathroom as it's easier on the eyes in the middle of the night.

2836484160048482531S600x600Q85.jpg

The flashlight works well too. It puts out the same amount of light as my solitaire with a Super MJLED, more than enough to navigate around your dark house. No it won't blind an intruder, nor will will impress your friends, but it met my expectations for output. As far as runtime, well I got bored after about 3 hours and plugged it back in.

2672166650048482531S600x600Q85.jpg

This is a well built light. First time you pick one up you notice it's heft. My 250lbs could not damage it by standing on it, not even close. Taking the light apart to mod is a bear. I had to use two 18" sections of PVC from my local hardware store as 'breaker bars' to pop the clear dome off. I inserted the dome in one tube and slid the other tube around the body and pushed and pushed. Finally 1/4 of the dome came loose. So I rotated it 90-degrees and did it again. Finally I got it off with only very minor cosmetic damage. The bezel on the flashlight end comes next. For that I used a strap wrench to rotate the bezel about 45-degrees. This caused some internal notches to become mis-aligned thereby leaving a tiny gap between the bezel and body. Use the gap, and pry the bezel off. Yeah, lots of work and the hard part is still to come, seperating the body halves. Each seam has three of your regular everyday tabs which lock into the opposite half and form a tight bond. Probably the tightest bond I've ever encountered from such a fastening method. None the less, some judicious prying will eventually seperate the two body halves.

2399827520048482531S600x600Q85.jpg

Inside you'll find three shrink wrapped button cells making a battery of 3.6v. I didn't determine the milliamps, but it's surely low. After I changed the night light led to a red one I reassembled the light. I used a small drop of hot glue on the tip of the switch to stop the rattle between it and the body slider.

2359927510048482531S600x600Q85.jpg

The lights are available online for between $10-$13 each depending on where you look. However I picked up a 3-pack at Sams Club on 1/5 for just $19.95! I loved the lights so much I bought a 3-pack for my fiancee and my brother. Hope you liked!

TooSharp

Newly Enlightened
Nice Review. I was at my in laws the other day and they had them throughout their house. Best night light I've come across yet. We stayed the night there and we put one by the kids bed with the flashlight on unplugged and I went in halfway through the night and shut the light off, it was still burning strong.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I purchased one of these at a grocery store in Sacramento CA. USA in late-October of last year.
I too have thus far found it to be well-constructed & reasonably bright (47,300mcd). :thumbsup:

DaveG

Enlightened
Agree with you guys,I got one for Christmas and was quite happy with it.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
What a frincredibly great idea...a nightlight that comes on when the power goes out...and you can take out from the wall and use as a makeshift flashlight until you get to a real one. Brilliant! Thanks for the review!

houtex

Enlightened
I picked up a 3 pack at Sam's a couple of weeks back.Used one in my dogs' house,one of the dogs got a hold of it,cracked it all to hell,but guess what ,it still worked.

Newly Enlightened
Where did Lowes have them hidden at? And, was that price each, or for both?

They were in an end of aisle display by the light switches (I am looking for an inwall light timer for fluorescent lights) and were $10 each.

Perhaps this is one case where it is better to belong to Sam's Club instead of Costco!

sed6

Enlightened
Thanks for the nice review. Too bad it monopolizes both outlets. That rules it out as a replacement for the old power failure lights I already have.

Regards,
Mark

Not so fast, try one of these...
2187668670048482531S600x600Q85.jpg

I did this in one bathroom. Clearly the bottom and left most outlet are still quite usable. This arrangement also leaves the test/reset buttons free on my GFCI.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are those available at Lowes as well?

Not so fast, try one of these...
2187668670048482531S600x600Q85.jpg

I did this in one bathroom. Clearly the bottom and left most outlet are still quite usable. This arrangement also leaves the test/reset buttons free on my GFCI.