Tactical but not Practical!

MrNaz

Enlightened
Yes. I am 100% in agreement with this.

When outdoorsing, I usually take multiple lights, as it's not just output that needs to vary with use, but also size. I generally carry 3 lights as follows:

1. A thrower, for long range viewing. Currently I use an Armytek Predator Pro 2.5 for this.
2. A flooder, for looking around while walking on trails etc. Usually some generic high output 18650 that can share batteries with my thrower.
3 A light for around camp. Usually a small flooder. Currently I use a 14500 XPE that is small enough to clip to my cap.

Sure, I could get my flooder in low mode, but then I'm trying to do things like stir a pot with a torch that requires a whole hand and can't be easily clipped to my cap or held in a nostril or something.

Brightness isn't the only thing that varies with a light's use.

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are those
who will argue that a thrower can be made a flooder (with a diffuser)
but not the other way around.

Even the ones who DO need a
thrower regularly ALSO tend to need a flooder. A diffuser on a
thrower to make it floodier is a giant waste of cell energy, as the
OTF losses are tremendous, and a dedicated flood makes more
sense...especially if you don't want the hassle of manipulating a
diffuser film to use your light, etc. The flip cover lenses (ET, etc)
can make that easier, but, those lights tend to get too large for
pocket use for most people.

So, MOST people JUST need a flood,
and some might need to ADD a thrower if
appropriate/desired.

A few points:
4) I see many posts about essentially wanting ONE light to do EVERYTHING. IE: Put a diffuser over your thrower to make it floodier, etc. Dependance upon lower output modes for where low output is appropriate....even though the small dot of dim light might not be as USEFUL as a higher lumen but floodier beam, etc.

I wanted to say a few things, with selected quotes from the thread.

I am one of those who regularly points out the many uses of diffusers, as they tend to be overlooked (so, thanks poppy!).

But I wanted to disagree with TEEJ that using a diffuser conflicts with the principle of avoiding flashlights that try to do it all.

(By the way, I also posted a lot against lights that try to do it all!)

The point is that you want different flashlights according to the task at hand.

But, there is quite often a need for both flood (near illumination) and throw (far and narrower illumination).

Typical example for many people: dog walking.

In such situations, you could say that for maximum energy efficiency you should use two lights, one floody (e.g., a smaller EDC, or perhaps even a headlamp), the other throwy (typically bigger output and reflector, often with multi-batteries or perhaps a 1x18650).

But who here would really like having both their hands occupied, or carrying something on their head unnecessarily?

There is a compromise solution involving a diffuser which is much superior for most folks. Take the thrower, say a 1x18650 in a 6P format kind of light, with a standard SF spring diffuser.

You have it on flood (diffuser closed), if you need to check out further away, spring it open (it only takes the one hand). Then close it.

What about TEEJ objections? Well, they don't hold much water in my opinion in this type of situation:

--The diffuser does not add much weight (if the diffuser is the 1" variety, on an EDC, it weighs practically nothing).

--The diffuser does not stop you from pocketing the flashlight, provided it is pocketable to begin with! The 1x123 EDC will continue to be pocketable, the 6P probably not with or without the diffuser. Then you either hold on to it, or use a holster.

--Even if you lose output with the diffuser (debatable that the losses are "enormous", I've not seen measurements proving this anywhere), so what, that is quite an acceptable compromise. It can even be helpful, say in bringing the 500 lumen 5000 lux beam back down to the floody, 200 lumen equivalent that is more comfortable for near illumination. Plus, you can get a multi-mode light, so you bring the 500 lumen beam back down to 200, then the diffuser back further still to a very useable 100 lumen floody beam, and the energy losses are proportionately less.

Anyway, I much enjoyed this thread which had a high number of interesting posts by very knowledgeable posters!

Last edited:

RoccoOnFire

Newly Enlightened
I do believe that bright and tactical lights have their place. The winter night that the wiener dog my girlfriend and I were watching for a relative ran away I was very happy I had a couple 1000+ lumen lights on hand. I had to be near 20 degrees below zero and we live in the country. As I was freezing searching for the dog I couldn't help but think I wish I had a brighter light. Well, thanks to the lights, we found her after about 40 minutes. In my opinion, if the light becomes useful in just one emergency type situation then it is a practical buy. That doesn't mean it is practical as an EDC, but I digress.

I also use my Eagletac sx25a6 to clear the house at night when the dog barks. It is a little bright for the indoor search on high but not overwhelming so long as you don't point it in a mirror. Where it really is very useful is checking the exterior perimeter of the home out to the woodline at a range of 50 to 100 yards. If I don't use that I use my 500LM TLR1 mounted to my Beretta. They also make great companions in the forest along with my spark headlamps. The extra lumens really help keep your orientation for landmarks, hazards, and general direction. You may classify these as tactical applications, but for me they are practical.

That being said, most of my menial daily/nightly tasks are performed by my keychain light... The Olight i3S EOS. Had I had any necessity of a large amount of light, the small light would be neither practical or tactical. But , then again I do have a low post count so perhaps the ages old saying is correct. :thinking:

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Morphalite looks pretty practical and could be tactical in a single mode version, maybe coming soon.
This light throws a 180 degree horizontal 500 lumen beam with the optic flipped down, flip it up and you have a 500 lumen spot beam on the highest mode. You can see this light in the video below.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=60ndaFQ4Iro

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
*grin* Someone else once said, the more you post here, the less lumens you tend to carry.
This was my experience. I came here looking for the brightest light that I could afford. Now I look for the dimmest.