Tactical Folder with world class lockup

glenda17

Enlightened
I have a little 2002 MicroTech mini UDT that locks so tight you can mistake it for a fixed blade. The machining, fit, and finish is above any knife I have ever experience.

I understand that MicroTech quality has declined. But I need a larger tactical folder (3.5-4" blade) that has the feel of quality that the older microtechs had.

I have tried a Kershaw cyclone, while nice the lockup isn't quite what I need. Same with my Dalton Jackal, close but no cigar.

Any suggestions that I should try? Is the Benchmade Griptilian of high quality?

Taboot

Enlightened
I don't know if it's in line with what you're looking for, but my Sebenza locks up like a federal prison.

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
im a big fan of titanium framelocks. theres a thread on them here somewhere. but chris reeve, strider and hinderer have great framelocks. i like the emerson framelocks (only 2 models i think) as well.

benchmade axis locks are pretty solid, though are more mechanical and supposedly dont do well with batoning.

Styerman

Newly Enlightened
The Kershaw Zero Tolerence 301 and 200 are very strong , top notch build quality . Ditto for some Benchmade products like the 520 . Spyderco have some very solid units , good build quality .

Chris

carrot

Flashaholic
The lockup on the Benchmade Griptilian is of excellent quality, but the handles leave much to be desired. They are hollow and feel very cheap... but the Mini-Grip's handles are not hollow and feel great. Try a Griptilikins or 710 instead.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Define "world class lockup"? Or the application where the folder is being used where this is a concern. It may not be the appropriate tool.

1M1

Newly Enlightened
Why not simply buy a LUDT or full-size UMS?

Plenty of pre-owned NIB ones to be had for $150-$170.

glenda17

Enlightened
Why not simply buy a LUDT or full-size UMS?

Plenty of pre-owned NIB ones to be had for $150-$170.

I don't want any more Auto's, can't leave the house with them.

What about the Large Sebenza ?

glenda17

Enlightened
Define "world class lockup"? Or the application where the folder is being used where this is a concern. It may not be the appropriate tool.

Just for collecting, it will be a WTSHTF knife, only used for emergency. The miniUDT is sort of an engineering marvel to me. Just curious as to what else is out there in a bigger knife.

1M1

Newly Enlightened
Well, the Extrema Ratio RAO is probably the most robust folding knife I've ever used.

BIG, though.

carrot

Flashaholic
If you're never gonna use the thing how are you going to get dexterous with it? I don't understand the concept of putting things away for emergencies, only to have to figure out how to use it/get used to it when the worst happens.

If you really want to throw it in a BOB just get a fixed blade, like the Spyderco Aqua Salt. Rustproof AND a tough medium sized blade.

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
A folder with world class lock? The first things that comes to mind is the Sebenza.

Dirty Bob

Newly Enlightened
If you're in a place that allows balisongs, a quality balisong cannot fold as long as you have a good grip on the handles.

The strength of a balisong makes me sad that they're banned for carry in so many places. A balisong is, IMHO, overrated as a tactical knife, but it makes a wonderful utility knife.

Regards,
Dirty Bob

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
World-class lock? Hinderer XM-18. Their lockup is second to none, especially for the price point (especially at list, and even at market prices). Truly amazing knives.

AMRaider

Enlightened
It sounds like you are looking for a larger blade. It won't have the quite the same fit and finish as a Sebenza or Microtech, but I think the Emerson CQC-12 is worth checking out. It has a 3.9" blade and uses a framelock. It has been my experience that Emerson's framelocks are solid. Best of luck!

Last edited:

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
It sounds like you are looking for a larger blade. It won't have the quite the same fit and finish as a Sebenza or Microtech, but I think the Emerson CQC-12 is worth checking out. It has a 3.9" blade and uses a framelock. It has been my experience that Emerson's framelocks are solid. Best of luck!

Yep that's what I have now :naughty: Used to have an HD-7 but wanted something a bit bigger and not a tanto point, and the CQC-12 is one of the few other Emerson's that have a full Ti framelock. Don't like their regular liner locks but the framelocks are very solid.