Tailstanding VS Tactical Tail Cap Throwdown!

Which would you rather have?

• Tailstanding

Votes: 40 51.3%
  • Tactical

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • "Buy them both!" (offical motto of CPF)

Votes: 19 24.4%

• Total voters

chas9rr

Newly Enlightened
You are going to buy a new light, You have to choose which type tail cap to get with it. Tail standing or Tactical, which one do you get?

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Ford - Chevy
Subaru - Mitsubishi
IBM - MAC
Fenix - Surefire
...etc...

Both have their pros and cons depending on the intended use.

Buying both is more than a mere motto, it makes sense to own both designs depending on the application.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
"tactical" can also refer to a foward clicky instead of a reverse clicky. Not just that the button sticks out a bit.

In fact the term "tactical" doesn't really mean anythng at all.

chas9rr

Newly Enlightened
"tactical" can also refer to a foward clicky instead of a reverse clicky. Not just that the button sticks out a bit.

In fact the term "tactical" doesn't really mean anythng at all.

Would it be clearer if it said "non-tailstanding"

smflorkey

Newly Enlightened
These choices need not be mutually exclusive. There have been a few who built slightly flared or scalloped tailcap "nuts" that allowed both tailstand and reasonable tactical access. They seem to be a distinct minority, but they have been done.

chas9rr

Newly Enlightened
What I am trying to find out here is if cpf'ers are more into tailstanding ability or access to the switch. The type of switch is not part of this poll. If you had to choose, which would you pick?

smflorkey

Newly Enlightened
What I am trying to find out here is if cpf'ers are more into tailstanding ability or access to the switch. The type of switch is not part of this poll. If you had to choose, which would you pick?
You're stating an artificial question. You can have both if you want them. Determine your needs and shop accordingly. :thumbsup:

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find tail standing an utter useless option. However, already many prefer it.

Different strokes for different folks.

The only reason I've got an E2DL tailcap on my E1B is for grip. God that thing slides out of my hands like it's buttered.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Assuming the two are mutually exclusive... I find tactical is easier to use, but tailstanding is more useful.

Vesper

Enlightened
Within the last week I added a Z68 to my E2L. I did it mainly for the extra grip a bulb at the end gives you, but I'm surprised at how much I also now enjoy quickly turning it into a candle when I need two hands for something. Glad to have it. With the diffuser usually on it as well, it's just the king of useful for me.

Last edited:

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't often tail stand lights "got way toooo many lanterns for that" but I like the switch protection offered by one. Example: I could have opted for the single mode tactical clicky for my Tiablo A9, that's what I needed, and low was useless with the aspheric lens, but I like the knowledge that if I dropped the light it would not damage the switch by landing tail end down because of the raised lip of the tail cap.

strinq

Enlightened
If its a forward clicky with easy access and not able to tailstand vs a reverse clicky that is able to tailstand albeit with some difficulty in switching, i'd take the forward clicky.

I hardly ever tailstand my light and whenever i need it to, could always find a simple way to make it tailstand (stick it between 2 objects).