Talk me down - Surefire

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. Why closed, did I already run afoul of forum rules? If so, sorry, it was unintentional.
Hello there,
No worries here, this thread is cool, it's just that the 'Are surefire products really worth the price' threads are sensitive topics and tend to result in heated & emotional debate, but this thread is not really one of those. Everything's :cool:.
My Solarforce L600 had even cheaper components. Not exactly sure how much the cork cost that was used as a buffer between the head and body tube. (And no, that's not a typo. I mean actual cork that was shaped to fit inside the light).
From what I recall reading, it sounds like you got the upgraded model, right? Didn't the first ones use a piece of cardboard instead of cork? ;)

Oh, and + 1 more to the ~30+ people saying that it is a very good idea to get the LX2. :thumbsup: :D

Last edited:

jurisprudence

Newly Enlightened
LX2 ordered and on the way. I went with the Surefire, but do appreciate the other suggestions. Headlamps, in particular, are a good idea.

I like the Icon Rogue 2 and Jetbeam III M, but think the LX2 will fit my needs better.

Let's see, a headlamp and other great suggestions, seems like I'll need to get more flashlights. Now where is that "You become a true flashaholic when" thread?:ohgeez:

Meganoggin

Enlightened
One other thing to consider is build quality. When comparing different brands of flashlights, take them apart. Inspect the quality of machining and threads. Have a look at the electrical connections and soldering.

If you do this with a Surefire you will see where your $ goes! :devil:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
From what I recall reading, it sounds like you got the upgraded model, right? Didn't the first ones use a piece of cardboard instead of cork? ;)

At first, I thought it was tightly packed cardboard. Another CPFer mentioned that it was cork inside of his L600. Took a closer look, turned out mine was cork too.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about a L1 and a beam diffuser?

The Arc6 has a real nice beam. Nice big hotspot.

Dude Dudeson

Enlightened
I love my Surefire, but if I were to "talk someone down" I'd say get a Malkoff MD2.

200+ lumens for 88 bucks, and I think I'd probably trust a Malkoff light damn near or equally as a Surefire.

I'm just basing that on the quality of the M60 I bought, I don't own an MD2.

haley1

Enlightened
I see you already ordered it, you won't be disappointed. I've been carrying my L1 for about 5 years. It's the most well built light I own, other than the other surefires I have. But the L1 has been with me everyday since I bought it and used daily. I've bought other lights of course and use them but none compare. Just my opinion of course but shared by others it would seem.

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Congratulations on ordering the LX2, and congratulations CPF'ers for your good spirited imput.

Bill