Tell me what you know!

daniel3417

Newly Enlightened
Hi all!

I'm obviously new to the boards, but I'm wanting to learn from some experts and enthusiasts. I'm purchasing a new home with my fiance soon and want to stock our bedrooms, bathrooms, kitchen, garage, cars, emergency shelter, etc. with a good mix of flashlights for different uses.

Basically, I know nothing and want to know everything.

1) Please tell me about your favorite flashlights. Why do you like them?
2) This is the place for dealer discussion. - Norm
3) What kind of criteria (beyond price and quality) do you use?
4) What's missing out there in the marketplace? Is there an undersupplied flashlight/technology that I should look hard for?
5) What's hot? I don't want to buy a dinosaur flashlight...

Any other info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

-Daniel

Last edited by a moderator:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Hi all!

I'm obviously new to the boards, but I'm wanting to learn from some experts and enthusiasts. I'm purchasing a new home with my fiance soon and want to stock our bedrooms, bathrooms, kitchen, garage, cars, emergency shelter, etc. with a good mix of flashlights for different uses.

2) Where is your favorite place to buy flashlights?
4) What's missing out there in the marketplace? Is there an undersupplied flashlight/technology that I should look hard for?

-Daniel

:welcome:

You've asked some very broad questions, but I'll try to start the conversation here :)

1) SureFire, Peak, HDS/Ra, Malkoff, McGizmo, and many others ... for lots of reasons :eek:oo:

2) CPF and the MarketPlace :D

3) Build quality & beam quality :twothumbs

4) More QTC-based lights ;)

5) Almost all of my favorite torches have already been discontinued ... :eek:

Last edited:

Sparky's Magic

Enlightened
Starting over and getting it all together in one Flashlight, I would...

1.) Get a bored 6P (18650) from Oveready with a McClicky tail cap.
2.) Drop in a Vinhngyuen XM-L2 emitter @ 5000K. driven at 3A. in an LOP reflector, with his new 4 level driver: Moon, low., med., high. & that should keep you happy for some time - This is my 'go-to' light from a cast of many and I can't think of anything it can't do!

Good Luck. :thumbsup:

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all!

2) Where is your favorite place to buy flashlights?

-Daniel

Is this some form of market research thingy? hehehe...

Okay i'll bite:

1. My favorites are: Quark 1AA 14500 (which i use to this day), Lumintop Hunter T5 (my smallish thrower), My Sunwayman C20C (which i recently lost) my Nitecore EA4 (which i use when i want to use AA's) my Tk35 (which was one of my first lights) my Crelant 7G5 V2 Aspheric (which is my favorite thrower 90k+ lux) and so much much much much more. Essentially, when I buy a light, it's automatically my favorite (I have about 28 now and two more incoming)

2. I buy them online from my Chinese friends in Hong Kong, and China. Sometimes I order direct from the manufacturer. :)

3. Criteria, is that it has to be something which amazes me. Something worthy to be in a collection, hence I do not have duplicate lights with similar features and performance.

4. Missing in the marketplace? Well, the need of innovation. Sometimes it just boils down to copying each other's lights so it can get boring.

5. There are many "Hot" lights out there, it just depends on what you are looking for.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. favorites are my surefire E-series lights, which also include L-series i think. love that i can interchange parts, reliable, and its simple interface. easy enough for anybody to pick up the light for the first time, and use it.

2. CPFMP :thumbsup:

3. besides price and quality, i would have to say longevity. this includes resell value, warranties, optional and available parts.

4. i feel the market is missing high quality single AA lights for general use or EDC. there are a few, but none yet that would convince me to swtich from my single CR123 lights.

5. what hot doesnt really matter, everybody has different uses and purposes intended. for me, i like simple, reliable lights. some look for maximum brightness, some want a really low lumens mode. some want plenty of different modes, some want throw, or flood, some want neutral tint. it goes on and on :nana:

if you plan on having plenty of lights all over the house, you should think about what power source youll be using. such as AA batteries, or CR123, or rechargeables. it might be a good idea to standardize on common battery types. with AA size batteries you can use alkalines(which are not recommended because they can leak and perform poorly in high-powered devices). you also have lithium AA cells, as well as nimh rechargeables, such as eneloops.
lithium power lights can provide advantages as well, more power, and greater variety of high powered lights.

another thing you might notice around here is "buy cheap, buy twice". took me some time and money to figure that one out. heheh. but there are some really good lights that can be had for under $20.

just about all lights come in cool white tint. which yields the most lumens. but some gives you the option for neutral tint. you might want to try out a neutral tint light to see how you like it. some members went neutral and have never gone back. neutral tints resemble sunlight color more, and are warmer than your typical cool white lights.