Terralux lightstar 80

jorges2000

Newly Enlightened
I just bought the lightstar 80 pen light I like it but wish it was brighter. Anyone here have any suggestions on how to replace the emitter and what kind to use. I would like to keep using AAA batteries. I like this pen light for its size.

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want to stay with the high-cri then the most efficient emitter would be a high-cri cree XP-G, but it would be noticeably warmer at around 3000K. The nice thing is that it has the same package size as the XP-C, which is in the light. If you don't care about the cri than you could just take any other XP-G for even more lumens, but I doubt it would make too much of a difference at these drive levels.

jorges2000

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the input. I have been trying to figure out how to get the emitter out of the pen light. It seems to be a two piece design barrel and end-cap. Any suggestions?

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try putting the head in a vise and turning the body with a piece of rubber around it for grip. I'm guessing the coating isn't anodization since it's not very hard.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did a run time test with this light against the Streamlight Stylus Pro (C4) and was a little disappointed that it wasn't as bright as the Stylus Pro. (I sure like the switch better on the LS80 though). I'm not sure whether the issue is the LED or the driver so I'd be anxious if someone does end up modifying it to know how it works out. I know the LED on the Lightstar 80 is very warm compared to the Stylus Pro and that might contribute to some of the lower output.