Tesla's gigafactory dropping 18650's and going with 20700 - per Elon Musk

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
...I don't think that other battery makers are going to copy this size if they don't get a contract making batteries for them as larger cells will only make laptop and drill battery packs larger as they are built around certain voltages and eliminating batteries to make a taller wider but not necessarily longer pack isn't going to be worth it. Looking at all my 18650 based devices... flashlights and power banks and such I don't see a larger diameter more comfortable a fit.

I can see the 20700 size working well in battery packs for yard equipment, such as mowers, string trimmers, hedge trimmers, etc.

stephenk

Enlightened
Given the rate at which flashaholics buy new lights and cells, then even if the 20700s reach the flashlight market and 20700 flashlights start to be produced, it is probably not a major issue?

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for those who provided excellent links on battery technology. :thumbsup:

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ~10% increase to the 18650 size is not unique to Tesla, e.g. last year Samsung SDI announced a 4750mAh 21700 cell (vs. Telsa 20700) targeting the e-bike market, see below

9iobu.jpg

Last edited:

SemiMan

Banned
Sounds a bit like a desperate plan by someone to "improve" the bottom line. If their manufacturing equipment that makes batteries is limited to this new size of battery without major work on it then I guess I can see why they would do this but if they have to make all new equipment to accommodate the larger cell size then why not go to 22800 or even larger? The only savings I can see is they can use less cells to get the same amount of power but the less cells may not take up any less size perhaps even more size when they are grouped together as the holes between cells I believe will be larger and the cells are taller too. I don't think that other battery makers are going to copy this size if they don't get a contract making batteries for them as larger cells will only make laptop and drill battery packs larger as they are built around certain voltages and eliminating batteries to make a taller wider but not necessarily longer pack isn't going to be worth it. Looking at all my 18650 based devices... flashlights and power banks and such I don't see a larger diameter more comfortable a fit.

Most of the dollars in laptop batteries is not 18650 any more.

SemiMan

Banned
The dollars are not in removable batteries any more.

To be successful these days, laptops have to be at least somewhat thin.

Take a perusal of Lenovo or Dell's website. You are hard pressed to find removable batteries any more or anything powered with 18650. They are just too thick.

Pretty much all lithium polymer. It's the same chemistry, just different physical construction.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like somebody said above, power tools are the new laptops for cylindrical cells, IMO.

It used to be draws drills, saws and lights that used battery packs, but now we have blowers, weed whackers, hedgers and even lawn mowers.

None of the tree-hugger hippies want gas any longer and 100 yard extension cords are too much work for the fatties, to roll up.

Chris

derek10

Newly Enlightened
I read that cylindrical cells last longer than prisms and pouch cells.

derek10

Newly Enlightened
Like somebody said above, power tools are the new laptops for cylindrical cells, IMO.

It used to be draws drills, saws and lights that used battery packs, but now we have blowers, weed whackers, hedgers and even lawn mowers.

None of the tree-hugger hippies want gas any longer and 100 yard extension cords are too much work for the fatties, to roll up.

Chris

Also many powerbanks. Mine all have Samsung 18650 cells

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
The dollars are not in removable batteries any more.

To be successful these days, laptops have to be at least somewhat thin.

Take a perusal of Lenovo or Dell's website. You are hard pressed to find removable batteries any more or anything powered with 18650. They are just too thick.

Pretty much all lithium polymer. It's the same chemistry, just different physical construction.
I replaced my 5 year old laptop with a new Dell XPS13 9350 and it is 2.5 lbs and 10mm thick with battery life of eight hours. An 18650 battery would not fit.