Test/Review of Charger Opus BT-C2000

appliancejunk

Enlightened
btw, great review!

Question on the Discharge Refresh Mode - discharge and charge the battery 3 times.

Once I start the that mode how do I know where it's at as far as if it's discharging or charging the batteries and if it's doing it for the first time yet, second time or for the third and final time.

How long can I expect it to take on the Discharge Refresh Mode for 4x AA Eneloop batteries?

Also how do I know when it's finally finished?

Thanks,

hammerjoe

Enlightened
I dont think the charger will tell you any of that. You will have to calculate by time to figure out how long its going to be.

If your eneloops are 2000mAh and you do a refresh at 400mAh then it will take about 5:30 hours to charge and 11 hours to discharge (its always half the charging current) times 3 so about 49 hours altogether (give or take 11 hours because it depends how full the battery is to begin with when it starts with the discharge).

Once its done it should tell you thats its completed.

Rockstead

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I recently purchased the BT-C2000 based on the review here and at Amazon.

I have never owned rechargeable batteries before and I'm just lost when I read these threads on how to efficiently charge batteries.

I purchased a few packs of 4th gen eneloops (AA,AAA) and I used them out of the box until they did not have any power left.

Now that I will be charging for the first time ever, I'm just not sure how I should be doing it.

When I place my AA in, it just started charging at 400mah, is that correct? Do I want to be doing it differently so it charges quicker and will there be any negative consequences to that? And when would I be doing all this discharging that I see many people doing?

Sorry in advance for the new questions.

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to the Forum! :welcome:

Read over the first post in this thread Fellow member HKJ does an excellent job at explaining how to use this charger.

You should probably use a higher charge setting for charging AA cells. Either 750 mAh or 1000 mAh (1A). For AAA cells you can use the lower 400 mAh setting. Just read over the instruction manual and post #1 prior to charging. Should be pretty simple and straight forward.

Last edited:

johnmeyer

Newly Enlightened
You should probably use a higher charge setting for charging AA cells. Either 750 mAh or 1000 mAh (1A). For AAA cells you can use the lower 400 mAh setting. Just read over the instruction manual and post #1 prior to charging. Should be pretty simple and straight forward.
+1 to that.

I read through a lot of posts, on many different forums across the web, and for LSD (e.g., Eneloop) batteries, 800 mA for AA and 400 mA for the smaller AAA seems to be the most-often mentioned compromise between charging speed, battery stress due to heat, and fast enough charging to activate the end of charge termination sensing.

If you are in a real hurry, you can certainly use a higher charging current, up to "1C," which means a current that equals the mAH rating stamped on the battery (usually a little over 2,000 mAH for a AA Eneloop). Since this charger can't go that high, you don't have to worry about charging at too high a current for AA. However, for AAA, 1C equals about 800 mAH, and since you can go above that number, you need to be careful when charging those (make sure to not set the current for 1,000 mA or higher).

Since I have multiple sets of batteries, I'm almost never in a hurry, and so I always charge AA at 800 mA, and AAA at 400 mA.

Cekid

Newly Enlightened
what would you choose between opus bt-c2000 and opus bt-c700?

i would like to buy some charger/analyzer, i don't care about lion etc., and i have ended up with the choice between the 2 opus...is there any significant difference between these opus chargers? as far as features go, they are looking almost the same?

opus bt-c2000 looks like better built device, with better menu buttons...?

HKJ

Flashaholic
what would you choose between opus bt-c2000 and opus bt-c700?

i would like to buy some charger/analyzer, i don't care about lion etc., and i have ended up with the choice between the 2 opus...is there any significant difference between these opus chargers? as far as features go, they are looking almost the same?

opus bt-c2000 looks like better built device, with better menu buttons...?

I do not remember the difference between them and I do not have time to read my reviews just now ;)
The larger model usual has an advantage with temperature, because the batteries have more air around them and the charger has more space to get rid of heat when discharging batteries.

Cekid

Newly Enlightened
@HKJ

makes sense...price difference is couple of dollars anyway....