Test/Review of Charger Xtar VP2

Tapis

Enlightened
I revisited my Xtar VP2 manual and was instantly confused by those numbers. Now I understand it's the rating for both channels combined.

Sorry, still confused here :confused:. Does that mean that on the VP2, one 18650 battery should be charged at 0.50A and two at 1.00A?

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, still confused here :confused:. Does that mean that on the VP2, one 18650 battery should be charged at 0.50A and two at 1.00A?

If the selector is set at, let's say, 1A, , each bay receives 1A, regardless one or both bays are occupied. The drawback is, you cannot choose a different charging rate on one of the bays, always the same on both bays, so you cannot simultaneously charge one cell with 1A and another, smaller cell at a different charging rate, unlike in the Opus.

Last edited:

Stormstaff

Newly Enlightened
Any test updates on this charger? I'mm looking at a new charger and this sounds like the perfect charger for me. Plus I'll have to look for a couple more 18650's on Amazon

ven

Flashaholic
VP2 is an excellent charger,its on right now along with my vp4. I have used the vp2 for up to 14hrs a day ,almost daily...... Never missed a beat,nicely made.

So a solid,dependable and imo still one of the best 2 bay chargers available since its release.....................go for it.

Stormstaff

Newly Enlightened
VP2 is an excellent charger,its on right now along with my vp4. I have used the vp2 for up to 14hrs a day ,almost daily...... Never missed a beat,nicely made.

So a solid,dependable and imo still one of the best 2 bay chargers available since its release.....................go for it.

In your opinion, how does it stack up to the NiteCore V2? It looks like a nice charger too and about half the price being that I'm on a budget.

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecoee V2 isn't even in the same league as the VP2. Not even close.
XTAR is leaps and bounds better.

ven

Flashaholic
I dont have a(presume you mean Nitecore D2 the 2 bay version),one of the main differences for me are charge rates,the vp2 can charge 2 cells at 1a,the D2 can not so it depends on how important charge times are for you. Flip side the D2 can charge nimh...........

I would pick the vpII over the D2 personally,if you mean the i4v2 then same applies,vp2 again even though 2 bays less,charge rates are too low/long for me.

Agree with Chevy,the build on Xtar chargers are better than Nitecore from my experience.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
This has probably been discussed somewhere, but it looks like the lower charging current rates can squeeze in a few more mAh, I am guessing because the 1A charge is driving higher volts to get the battery to 4.2V with 1Amp. It appears that a person can charge with 1A, then remove and reinsert the battery at the .25A or.5A and more charging will commence. If someone is looking to squeeze the very most energy into a cell, do you think this will put more in to make it worthwhile? Or is it a paltry amount?

markr6

Flashaholic
This has probably been discussed somewhere, but it looks like the lower charging current rates can squeeze in a few more mAh, I am guessing because the 1A charge is driving higher volts to get the battery to 4.2V with 1Amp. It appears that a person can charge with 1A, then remove and reinsert the battery at the .25A or.5A and more charging will commence. If someone is looking to squeeze the very most energy into a cell, do you think this will put more in to make it worthwhile? Or is it a paltry amount?

I'm guilty of doing this from time to time! Not sure it matters of if it's healthy for the cell. I guess it wouldn't hurt, but I'm sure any gain is so small it's not even worth the hassle.

Stormstaff

Newly Enlightened
Nitecoee V2 isn't even in the same league as the VP2. Not even close.
XTAR is leaps and bounds better.

Thanks!

I dont have a(presume you mean Nitecore D2 the 2 bay version),one of the main differences for me are charge rates,the vp2 can charge 2 cells at 1a,the D2 can not so it depends on how important charge times are for you. Flip side the D2 can charge nimh...........

I would pick the vpII over the D2 personally,if you mean the i4v2 then same applies,vp2 again even though 2 bays less,charge rates are too low/long for me.

Agree with Chevy,the build on Xtar chargers are better than Nitecore from my experience.

Ya, I'm sure I messed up the letters. I'll look at the Xtar probably then. Thanks!

SVT-ROY

Enlightened
Ordering one now. We appreciate your reviews so much, many thanks. Finally able to scag my xtar panzer and get a buddy into rechargeable cells. Also loving the LFP option as I run a lot of those.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
An excellent review and vert good comments too. I bought two of the Xtar VP2 chargers and I am very pleased with them.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the VP2 and I'm also very pleased. I probably should have bought the 4 cell version.

All my batteries are 18650 3100mAh and 3400mAh bought in groups of ten and now include 40 batteries. I have three lights that use 4 18650's, two lights that use two 18650's each, and the rest use single 18650's. I live in an earthquake and fire hazard area and want enough battery capacity for at least 10 days without power.

I am quite surprised that people collect flashlights and yet seem to be timid about batteries, chargers, and their expense. A flashlight without the knowledge of battery technology is like some one who has a Ferrari and will only consider cheap fuel, oil, and maintenance for their car. I have enjoyed the excellent comments made on this thread. :)

ven

Flashaholic
I have the VP2 and I'm also very pleased. I probably should have bought the 4 cell version.

Buy another vp2, far better option imo as you then have 2x1a per charger so 4x1a charge rates.

The 4 cell is nice, just drops rate to 0.5a on 4 cells..........bays 1+4 is good for 1a though!!

I use the vp1 and vp2.........well the opus has took over main duties now.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buy another vp2, far better option imo as you then have 2x1a per charger so 4x1a charge rates.

The 4 cell is nice, just drops rate to 0.5a on 4 cells..........bays 1+4 is good for 1a though!!

I use the vp1 and vp2.........well the opus has took over main duties now.

That was my thinking on why I bought two Xtar VP2's. :)

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I have used my VP2 with 18650's in all states of discharge, down to barely 3v. I always charge at 1A. Never any problem, always fully and successfully charged. When HJK says this is a "Very Good Charger" you can take it to the bank!

Brightnorm

duvallite

Newly Enlightened
I bought the Xtar VP2 about 4 months ago based on the many positive comments posted here when I was still a lurker at CPF. It's an excellent charger and I have not had any problems using it to charge my 18650s, and am very happy with the purchase. I've since recommended this charger to my family and friends.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the Xtar VP2 because it can be used as Power Bank to charge other 5 volt devices that use low mAh power. :)