Test/Review of Orbtronic 18650 3100mAh (Black)

space-cowboy

Newly Enlightened
It is funny

Some people still have courage to promote AW 3100 mah 18650 $24 cell vs. Orbtronic, Keeppower, Eagletac $13-$15 cells

To make this even funnier worst 18650 performer in HKJ tests was AW 3100 mah cell

Changchung

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is funny

Some people still have courage to promote AW 3100 mah 18650 $24 cell vs. Orbtronic, Keeppower, Eagletac $13-$15 cells

To make this even funnier worst 18650 performer in HKJ tests was AW 3100 mah cell

Hahaha I had not realized that... In my case I will preffer those for the size...

Edit; the redilast too. The eagletac is shorter...

SFMI4UT

Last edited:

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is funny

Well sometimes people prefer to buy a more expensive product because they trust the brand and costumer service. AW is a very trusted name and the general consensus of this forum when it comes to li-ion batteries. The advantage of the keeppower and orbtronic over AW cells are minimal, and perhaps unnoticeable in real life usage. I used to be a AW-only battery guy, but now that I fully understand how Li-ion cells works I strictly use Japan-Made unprotected cells, because they fit in all flashlights, has no discharge limit, and I can fully drain it or even quick charge in case of an emergency. The NCR cell can be discharged to 2.5v without fatal consequences, and most flashlight don't reach that low.

But in my personal opinion, AW and redilast cells are a bit expensive compared to the other high quality options available today. Keeppwer and orbtronic can be found about $15 a cell in ebay for those who want to know.

LEDite

Enlightened
Well sometimes people prefer to buy a more expensive product because they trust the brand and costumer service. AW is a very trusted name and the general consensus of this forum when it comes to li-ion batteries. The advantage of the keeppower and orbtronic over AW cells are minimal, and perhaps unnoticeable in real life usage. I used to be a AW-only battery guy, but now that I fully understand how Li-ion cells works I strictly use Japan-Made unprotected cells, because they fit in all flashlights, has no discharge limit, and I can fully drain it or even quick charge in case of an emergency. The NCR cell can be discharged to 2.5v without fatal consequences, and most flashlight don't reach that low.

I agree with Richard.

Buy a name-brand" quality 18650 unprotected cell tested to U.L.1641

and you will have a more reliable power source,

with less Internal Resistance.

LEDite

Last edited:

tandem

Enlightened
It is funny [...]Some people still have courage to promote AW 3100 mah 18650 $24 cell vs. Orbtronic, Keeppower, Eagletac $13-$15 cells

There is nothing funny about being a fan of AW.

What is funny is you quoting 24 dollars a cell when they are 19.75 direct from AW.

More seriously... AW has been around a long time and for a long time was one of the few reliable sources of good quality protected cells. AW remains one of the few reliable sources of a wide variety of cells ranging from quality Japanese made 18650's to IMR cells in various formats to LiFePO4 to unprotected cells in 16 and 18mm.

I've continued to buy from AW because I'm thankful that we've had a supplier willing to go the distance to support high end flashlight users. He carries a broad product line. If I "overpay" a few dollars to be honest I really don't care.

There is more competition these days in higher quality protected cells. Just a couple years ago you had AW, and the newcomer Redilast, and very little else. Back then if you wanted something less expensive you travelled far down the ladder some distance to Trustfire (which seemed to morph into DisTrustFire), and far down the scale a whole bunch you found various other HouseFire cell marketers. These days there is more choice when it comes to 18650 Panasonic based protected cells. Probably this will drive prices down overall; hopefully this won't drive selection down.

HKJ

Flashaholic
What is funny is you quoting 24 dollars a cell when they are 19.75 direct from AW.

It is difficult to compare prices, both your price of 19.75 and space-cowboy's price of 24 is mostly wrong. The difference is shipping, some dealers has free shipping for some location, other takes money depending on number of batteries.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is nothing funny about being a fan of AW.

More seriously... AW has been around a long time and for a long time was one of the few reliable sources of good quality protected cells. AW remains one of the few reliable sources of a wide variety of cells ranging from quality Japanese made 18650's to IMR cells in various formats to LiFePO4 to unprotected cells in 16 and 18mm.

I've continued to buy from AW because I'm thankful that we've had a supplier willing to go the distance to support high end flashlight users. He carries a broad product line. If I "overpay" a few dollars to be honest I really don't care.

There is more competition these days in higher quality protected cells. Just a couple years ago you had AW, and the newcomer Redilast, and very little else. Back then if you wanted something less expensive you travelled far down the ladder some distance to Trustfire (which seemed to morph into DisTrustFire), and far down the scale a whole bunch you found various other HouseFire cell marketers. These days there is more choice when it comes to 18650 Panasonic based protected cells. Probably this will drive prices down overall; hopefully this won't drive selection down.

Good points.

In just the last few months, we've had EagleTacs (which I bought 2 of last month), Orbtronics and now KeepPower. Throw in International-Outdoors and you've got 4 new players who's cells test out well according to HKJ.

The big question will be whether they bump up their prices, as Orbtronics did on Thursday (after HKJ's reivew hit this site), or whether AW, CalliesKustom and Redilast come back down a little bit to be more competitive.

For protected 18650 users, these are good times.

FWIW, I picked up 2 Pannie NCR 3100 unprotected cells from Orbtronics on Tuesday and they arrived today. For $19 delivered, they charged up to 4.19v on my WP2 II charger a few hours ago and I can't complain.

Chris

kaabob

Newly Enlightened
I agree with Richard.

Buy a name-brand" quality 18650 unprotected cell tested to U.L.1641

and you will have a more reliable power source,

with less Internal Resistance.

LEDite

Interesting.
I guess I'll be purchasing Panasonic's unprotected 18650 from now on.
Save myself some dough: One AW vs. Two unprotected Panny's
Good point.. most flashlight's wont work below 2.8v anyway ;)

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Insider information removed AGAIN. Final warning RF UK

Last edited by a moderator:

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
Price is now $15.91. Up by almost three dollars prior to being reviewed, right? That's terrible kind of how they're upping the price now that they're getting positive reviews.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
In case anyone's interested, I found a TWO pack with shipping:

Price: $23.44
Availability: In stock
New/Refurbished: New
Shipping: $0

"TWO PROTECTED 3100mAh 18650 (Industrial NCR18650A Panasonic inside) Li-ion Rechargeable Orbtronic Battery Cells- Most Powerful 18650 Battery on Planet Earth - Button Top, PCB Protection"

Can't tell you anything about the site as I've never heard of them but if anyone wants to check them out, do a search for orbtronic 18650 on google, after you get the results, click on shopping on left and you'll see them. It's a short list.

Norm

Retired Administrator
guiri, bullinchinashop PM sent.

:oops: slight mistake on my behalf the cells I purchased were Keeppower 18650 3100mAh Built In Panasonic 18650 Cell (2-pack)

My understanding that they are the same. See HKJ's roundup Here and review Here

Norm

Last edited:

officermartinez

Newly Enlightened
I have (12) of these batteries.. I've had really good experience(s) with these batteries. My Soshine charger takes about 7 hours to charge them from a fully depleted state. I used (4) of them at a time for my Nitecore TM15 and (2) at a time for my Olight M3X..

There is no need to quote the first post in its entirety to add two lines. Thanks - Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

JOHNTHOMPSON

Newly Enlightened
I have (12) of these batteries.. I've had really good experience(s) with these batteries. My Soshine charger takes about 7 hours to charge them from a fully depleted state. I used (4) of them at a time for my Nitecore TM15 and (2) at a time for my Olight M3X..

There is no need to quote the first post in its entirety to add two lines. Thanks - Norm

will the protected and unprotected 3100MAH work in the TM15? also do you know if the newer 3400mah will fit the TM15?
thanks

John