Test/Review of Orbtronic 18650PD 2900mAh (Black)

stoneboy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks a lot for your reply HKJ! and thanks for RI Chevy as well! :)

Sorry I missed the detail in your report! It's kind of confusion from those manufactures and dealers though.

Do you know where I can get the Panasonic's detailed tech info on this battery? coz we wanted to use it in our developing product not for personal usage.

Thanks again!

HKJ

Flashaholic

stoneboy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks HKJ!

Yeah, I've been there couple of time. No PDF has been found for detailed info. We might have to ask Panasonic directly to get the info.

You were saying "The main difference between the PD and PF cell is that Panasonic has made the PF cell a bit safer" in your report. Could you be more specific on it? Why it's safer then PD? We were originally looking at NCR18650B for our product as it has quite high capacity. If the NCR18650PF is safer we would move to it. But we need to make sure of that.

Thanks!

HKJ

Flashaholic
No PDF has been found for detailed info. We might have to ask Panasonic directly to get the info.

I doubt it is easy to get the full data sheet from Panasonic.

You were saying "The main difference between the PD and PF cell is that Panasonic has made the PF cell a bit safer" in your report. Could you be more specific on it? Why it's safer then PD? We were originally looking at NCR18650B for our product as it has quite high capacity. If the NCR18650PF is safer we would move to it. But we need to make sure of that.

Panasonic lists two improvements from PD to PF: Improved weldability and improved safety. Maybe the main reason for the fast switch from PD to PF was the improved safety. This probably has to do with the CID as they says it works earlier.

This has nothing to do with the NCR18650B.

stoneboy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks HKJ for your kindness!

I have been doing research for this afternoon and evening. Here are some pieces I've got from other forums and websites.

"I hate vague information so I contacted orbtronics about it
this is the reply:
'Hi William,
Yes, that's the improved PD. It runs even cooler on high Amps, and improvement on voltage drop. Nothing significant. 30-40 mAh more in capacity as well.'"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The only thing i could find was the internal resistance change, and the chemistry change,
the PD is 22mΩ with a Lithium Nickel Cobalt Aluminium core,
the PF is 35mΩ with a Lithium Nickel Manganese Cobalt Oxide core.
From what i can tell, the new PF chemisty will be better for longer high drain applications and should be less prone to damage over time."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The PF is a nice cell for sure. It is supposed to last longer (more charge cycles, handle more abuse) than the PD. It appears that it also performs as well or better than the PD.
Here's a review from Tom E:
Ordered 4 of these at first, and 2 protected versions. In my 4.9A Nanjg, copper pill, XM-L2 U2 configured HD2010, when fresh at full charge, these got higher amp readings than the Pana PD's they replaced! Interesting because the PF specs said they had higher resistance than the PD's, but opposite seems to be true. Here are some of the measured amps, all fresh charged: Pana PD's: 4.26A/4.25A Pana PF's: 4.43A/4.45A Powerizer: 4.90A Samsung 20R: 4.83A Samsung 20Q: 4.50A Sanyo UR 18650FM: 3.85A Panasonic B (3400, unprot): 3.69A ** There are variations, and some cells are 4.21v, others may be as low as 4.16v. If 2 cells were tested, both are listed separated by a slash (/). ** Highly recommend these for there longer runtimes of 2900 mAh at high amps"

It seems clear that PF is safer especially under high drain situation. The CID, as I have noticed in there 3D illustration, it seems has been using on all their newer generation batteries as standard design. Would it be using PSS + HRL technology? If that's true. I would consider the 18650PF is safer and cooler than 18650B in general, despite it's smaller capacity. We are designing a kind of mobile charging system which the demanding of charging current could be very vary.