Tested: 5 Carbon-Zinc AA cells

WC8KCY

Newly Enlightened
In need of some carbon-zinc batteries for a finicky thermostat, I did a Google search and couldn't find enough information on discharge capacity to make an informed decision. Thus, in the best CPF tradition, I opted to test them myself and post the results here.

In this comparison, I test the four cells available to me at local retailers, plus the PKCell cells on offer at Amazon.

I tested the cells under a 100 mA load, the lowest discharge setting on my Opus BT-C2400 analyzer, to get the best estimation of how the cells would perform under low-drain applications such as my thermostat.

I've also evaluated the cells at 300 mA, the approximate current draw of my Mini MagLites with incandescent krypton lamps.

Analysis was performed in a room with an ambient temperature of 67°F/19°C.

THE TEST CELLS

All cells purhcased in mid-March, 2022.

e-Circuit Super Heavy Duty: USD$0.22/cell; paid $1.25 for 6 at Dollar Tree. Made in China. Expiry date of 05-2024 stamped into negative terminal suggests a shelf life of three years.

Eveready Super Heavy Duty: USD$0.77/cell; my local hardware store was sold out; paid $3.06 for 4 with Amazon Prime; on offer for $0.45/cell at Battery Junction. Made in Indonesia. Production date of 10-20 and expiry date of 10-23 printed on negative terminal indicates a shelf life of three years.

PKCell Extra Heavy Duty: USD$0.69/cell; paid $5.49 for 8 with Amazon Prime; on offer for as low as $0.20/cell in 100 cell lots at Amazon. Made in China. Expiry date of 12-2024 stamped into negative terminal suggests a shelf life of three years.

Panasonic Super Heavy Duty: USD$0.31/cell; paid $1.25 for 4 at Dollar Tree; can be found for less in huge lots on Amazon. Made in Costa Rica. Expiry date of 11-2025 printed on negative terminal suggests a shelf life of four years.

Rayovac: USD$0.95/cell; paid $3.79 for 4 at Family Farm & Home; on offer for $0.32/cell at Battery Junction. Made in Vietnam. Stamped with date code STJGV1. Expiry date of 01-2024 suggests a shelf life of two years--or these are old stock with a three-year shelf life.

TEST RESULTS

DISCHARGE TO 0.9V UNDER 100 mA LOAD:
Rayovac: 777 mAh +/- 3.7%
Panasonic: 759 mAh +/- 1.25%
PKCell: 718 mAh +/- 1.5%
Eveready: 678 mAh +/- 0.2%
e-Circuit: 669 mAh +/- 0.2%

DISCHARGE TO 0.9V UNDER 300 mA LOAD:
Rayovac: 590 mAh +/- 5.9%
PKCell: 564 mAh +/- 4%
Panasonic: 513 mAh +/- 5.3%
Eveready: 509 mAh +/- 1.5%
e-Circuit: 467 mAh +/- 6.4%

OBSERVED VOLTAGE, FRESH FROM PACKAGE:
e-Circuit: 1.66-1.67V
Eveready: 1.62-1.65V
Panasonic: 1.65V
PKCell: 1.65-1.66V
Rayovac: 1.62V

CONCLUSIONS

The Rayovac finished at the head of the class under both 100 mA and 300 mA test loads. These are the cells that I'll be deploying with my thermostat going forward. Clocks and other devices which only function well on carbon-zinc cells would be another logical application for these.

The Panasonic would be my choice for remote controls along with flashlights and radio receivers that receive infrequent use, owing to their superior shelf life. I've deployed dozens of these over the years and have never had one leak.

The PKCell turned in a strong second-place showing under a 300 mA load. For those who can make efficient use of bulk lots, these could represent a superior overall value for use with flashlights and other sparingly-used devices drawing around 300 mA. Additionally, the PKCell uses a slimmer cannister than the other cells. If you have a device for which most AA cells are a tight fit, this could be a consideration. Conversely, these slim cells rattled around annoyingly when deployed in my mini MagLite; some Scotch tape applied around the cannisters effectively remedied this.

I see little incentive to choose the Eveready cells when the Panasonic and PKCell batteries offer superior as-tested performance at a lower cost.

The e-Circuit cells frankly surprised me in that they were actually competitive in these tests, especially under a 100 mA load. For low-drain usage, there could be value to be found with these cells.

I will be testing the AAA versions of these cells soon. Stay tuned.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Well done.

Don't know if you knew or not but alkalines have a wee bit larger case size than the carbon zinc batteries. Hence the rattle in the minimag.

I have some antique lights that alkalines will not fit into without forcing them.

Carbon zinc work well for intermittent discharges like a remote control where alkalines are good for constant discharge like a flashlight. For constant discharge the carbon zinc do well with a low current draw.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alkalines don't do well with occasional discharge?
I wasn't aware of the size difference. Like nimh are a little bigger still

Oh and great test thanks for the info

Last edited:

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most all my higher end devices with remote controllers (Samsung) were supplied with Panasonic batteries from mfgr..

I have never had, in a remote, batt leakage..

Then again, I've been using Energizer lithium primaries AA/AAA since they hit the market because I don't trust alaleaks

Last edited:

WC8KCY

Newly Enlightened
Why carbon zinc? Is there something they do that alkaline does not? Really curious here as I've never understood why someone would use them
The principal advantages of carbon-zinc cells over alkalines are superior low-temperature performance, and superior resistance to leakage.

Carbon-zinc cells also offer weight savings versus NiMH and alkaline cells. A pair of AA cells weighs:

Energizer Recharge 2300 NiMH: 1.9 oz./54 g
Eneloop 2000 NiMH: 1.8 oz./51 g
Energizer Alkaline: 1.7 oz./48 g
Panasonic Alkaline Plus Power: 1.6 oz./45 g
Rayovac 1350 NiMH: 1.5 oz./43 g
Panasonic Super Heavy Duty: 1.2 oz./34 g
Rayovac: 1.2 oz./34g
Eveready Super Heavy Duty: 1.1 oz./31 g
PKCell Extra Heavy Duty: 1.1 oz./31 g
e-Circuit Super Heavy Duty: 1.0 oz./28 g
Energizer Ultimate Lithium: 1.0 oz./28 g

Put yourself in my shoes for a moment: I'm heading out to the parking lot at work at 2AM to assist a customer whose car won't start. It's 0°F/-18°C. I've got my trusty incan Mini MagLite. I'll be out there until we get the car started, or until roadside assistance arrives on the scene 30 minutes later. Depending on what cells I've selected, I'm carrying:

1. With Energizer Recharge 2300 NiMH, a reliable but somewhat dim light that weighs 3.9 oz./111 g
2. With Energizer alkalines, a possibly non-functional light that varies in brightness and weighs 3.7 oz./105 h
3. With Panasonic carbon-zinc, maximum brightness at US$0.63 per Ah, absolute reliability, and a light that weighs 3.3 oz./94 g
4. With Energizer Ultimate Lithium, maximum brightness at US$0.66 per Ah*, not-quite-absolute reliability, and a light that weighs a scant 3.1 oz./88 g.

Which would you choose? Not option 2, I should think.

For me, it's Panasonic carbon-zinc for the win.

For those of us who carry lights in shirt pockets, weight is a big deal. And in the scenario above, that MiniMag is going to feel progressively heavier and heavier as the situation drags on.

* assuming a cost of US$2 a cell, and also that Energizer's claimed 3000 mAh discharge capacity holds up at 300 mA. I'm gonna test these myself to see what they're really capable of.

WC8KCY

Newly Enlightened
Well done.

Don't know if you knew or not but alkalines have a wee bit larger case size than the carbon zinc batteries. Hence the rattle in the minimag.

I have some antique lights that alkalines will not fit into without forcing them.
Honestly, I haven't paid much attention to the cannister size of primary cells until I experienced the PKCells rattling around in my MiniMag. I've long been aware that some rechargeable cells have more girth than others, having a 4AA UV lamp that won't accept many NiMH cells.

I appreciate your compliments...thanks!

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't think I'd notice the weight difference in your situation described above. Not enough for it to be a detriment.
I would still choose nimh or lithium. Even with it being cold outside, it was warm before you got out there. And keeping it going should keep the batteries warm. Also nimh batteries provide more brightness. At least 10 seconds after turn on from absolutely fresh alkalines or carbon zincs they do.
That being said, I did not know carbon zinc provided better cold weather performance.
And I would never use a non lithium primary cell in a flashlight. Besides the leaking issue, they just do not provide the performance I.e not very good under more Than a 100ma load

While I disagree with your assessment, I'm glad you enjoy the use of those cells and hope you get good service from them. And with your information, if I ever decide to get carbon zinc cells, I now do have the knowledge of which ones to get

turbodog

Flashaholic
Most people don't know that 1) C/Z are still around 2) the leak aspect 3) the really long life for low drain devices such as remotes.

That said... if I were carrying a light in my shirt pocket ALL THE TIME. It would be single aaa based, led, and with a lithium primary cell.

Good contribution to the forum.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I would love to see the mah of CZ cells under very low currents, like a remote control but it looks like CZ is roughtly 1/4 to 1/3 capacity of alkaleaks. My experience with CZ cells is they "seem" to leak less but the leakage and be worse as it tends to be more runny and ends up a times getting into and damaging things worse. In fact I just found a panaonic CZ that leaked.. brown good on a spring looks sort of like rust typical signs.

WC8KCY

Newly Enlightened
I wouldn't think I'd notice the weight difference in your situation described above. Not enough for it to be a detriment.
I would still choose nimh or lithium. Even with it being cold outside, it was warm before you got out there. And keeping it going should keep the batteries warm. Also nimh batteries provide more brightness. At least 10 seconds after turn on from absolutely fresh alkalines or carbon zincs they do.
That being said, I did not know carbon zinc provided better cold weather performance.
And I would never use a non lithium primary cell in a flashlight. Besides the leaking issue, they just do not provide the performance I.e not very good under more Than a 100ma load

While I disagree with your assessment, I'm glad you enjoy the use of those cells and hope you get good service from them. And with your information, if I ever decide to get carbon zinc cells, I now do have the knowledge of which ones to get
Thanks for your comments!

With a xenon bulb, a MiniMag is sufficiently bright and extremely reliable under all conditions using NiMH cells. Unfortunately, I'm down to my last xenon lamp and can't get replacements locally.

I fully agree with you in principle on the use of lithium primary cells. Trouble is, the last Energizer Ultimate Lithium 8-pack I purchased had 4 dud cells; one pair suddenly went flat after less than an half-hour of total runtime with my light. I've encountered weak cells with prior purchases, too.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ya those mini mag bulbs are getting hard to find. I'm down to my last 3 three.

That's too bad about the l91s. That's strange. They are far too expensive to have that bad of quality control. I have a dozen that expired in 2011 and they're still good

Latest posts