The ABTOMAT Police Flashlight Collection

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
okay, I have to ask,where do you source such lights..? amazing collection ABTOMAT!thanks for sharing & btw, is that "large Head" M@g's head really larger than that or regular mags?

In the past, CPF, eBay, Craigslist, gun boards, etc. A few people have donated them which is awesome. I slowed down collecting a few years ago since I stick to a budget.

That Mag has the standard head size everyone knows. From what I've read, really early on you could get a small head model.

Last edited:

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're welcome.

These are a pair of Kel-Lite chargers that would have been used with the tailcap on my 4D light on the first page. They didn't sell too many of those, so you don't see many of these. Kel-Lite was distributed by Safariland for quite some time:
TG7rvMb.jpg

Streamlight chargers, for the SL-15 and SL-20. You'll notice the middle one has the very early Streamlight logo:
sdi1KLa.jpg

Pro-Light chargers. Similar to Streamlight's:
4OugNWK.jpg

And here's one that doesn't exactly fit the vintage police light theme, but it's interesting regardless. Charger and charging tailcap for the Streamlight Jr. It works a lot like the old Kel-Light charger--I wouldn't be surprised if that's where the idea came from:
PeIakwq.jpg

To be continued...

Last edited:

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, it's been a while.

Another item not directly connection related. Mini Mag bulbs from the '80s. Old style packaging and graphics:
YaaMgd1.jpg

Federal traffic cones for the C-cell Kel-Lites. They work pretty well and are surprisingly head duty:
lSsyxle.jpg

This is the box and spare parts that came with the ASP baton adapter for the 7C Streamlight on the first page:
8475yTw.jpg

To be continued...

Last edited:

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Something you don't see every day. But what is it?
JhNqCxE.jpg

...A Kel-Lite armorer's kit:
TalEEpN.jpg

Full of all kinds of goodies:
FJhpU5w.jpg

I've seen two on eBay. Not cheap:
lcFIk0d.jpg

Not sure how complete mine is:
h6FxYaw.jpg

pEfmMp9.jpg

jHdx1Ju.jpg

IijHe0t.jpg

JoGWeal.jpg

Late-model knurled tailcaps. I think these were standard on the early pushbutton models. I don't own one of those:
aISMOWi.jpg

To be continued...

Last edited:

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kel-Lite didn't just make flashlights. They also had a small line of police accessories. Batons, reusable plastic target ammo, and an interesting revolver speedloader:
tlfAxY5.jpg

Kel-Lite Firepower. Pouch by Tex Shoemaker, although I think the pouches were made by different companies along the line:
f9UTPIQ.jpg

The actual speedloader is molded rubber:
9comh6Q.jpg

The cartridge casings snap into the cavities in the rubber. When you load the gun you peel the rubber bit off:
plWCy46.jpg

To be continued...

Last edited:

purelite

Enlightened
Yoou know whats amazing to me All the stuff like SS bezels,bodies that can be adjusted to different numbers of cells,pocket clips and crenellated bezel rings? Its all stuff we on CPF look at as new and cool and innovative but its all been done before!!!! Some of those lights looks like modern creations!!!

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
All that stuff was done long before these lights were made, too, as far as I know. Technology as a way of going around. Other than LEDs and integrated switches, the "modern" alkaline-cell flashlight hasn't changed all that in 40 years or so.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's an original Streamlight SL-15 replacement lamp. This probably was the first machined and potted flashlight bulb. One reason Streamlight's lights destroyed the old D/C cell police light market:
Y49rRrs.jpg

Random B-Lite parts. Not quite as impressive as the Kel-Lite kit, but interesting regardless:
6LHREt4.jpg

Super B-Lite head. The design is unique among older flashlights in that the switch is located in the wasted space behind the reflector. I think Streamlight later went that route with their Stinger:
jyhUpGi.jpg

To be continued...

Last edited:

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of my other hobbies (that I need much more practice at) is machining. Before I got my first Kel-Lite Judo Head tailcap a few years ago, I tried to make a replica based off measurements from a fellow collector. Turned out OK for a beginner project but I botched the threading.

L5sNnve.jpg

Yk75Vky.jpg

To be continued...

Last edited:

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nope, no new pics. But another first in a long time--collection got smaller today as I traded away the two Magchargers for some non-vintage stuff.

Last edited:

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. Favorite's probably the 26" Batonlite. Just something funny about that much whack in flashlight. Not sure about most precious, exactly. Either the 4D Kel-Lite that started the collection or the trashed 5D with all the police stories behind it.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, for years I've been telling myself "you're done collecting," and now tonight I couldn't hold back and I bought one of the most interesting vintage police lights made.

Stay tuned!

Last edited:

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I couldn't pass this up. I now have a Cold Steel Brute! It's a super-heavy-duty 7AA flashlight made around 1990. Has a small fan following on CPF, or at least did a few years ago. And contrary to most old police light literature that hinted "hey, you might be able to use this as a baton," the Brute was sold as "You're supposed to hit people with this."

Here's a pic of the ad. I'll get pics later today.

lBson3M.jpg

Last edited:

Fresh Light

Enlightened
I looked through all your pictures but did not see this one. I have this 7D I received from my dad a long time ago.

7%2520cell%2520Kel-Lite.jpg

7D Kel-Lite with a silver 4D Mag

Is this considered the Large head Kel?

Last edited:

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, that's a large-head from the late '70s. Kel-Lites were available in all combinations of lengths and head sizes during their production.

Fresh Light

Enlightened
Thanks. I took somebody's advice a while back and through in a mag 6D bulb cause the 7D ones aren't so easy to find. Other than something like your baton Lites, this has got to be one of the biggest and heaviest clubs. You have an amazing collection, btw.