The best computer keyboards ever made - still

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
IBM M15 is clicky and ergonomic. You could even fold it in half and use it vertically.
ibm_m_15-010.jpg

Or if you'd prefer to learn how to type all over again, there's always the keyboard Jodie Foster used in Contact. I'd trade my nice Kinesis programmable keyboard or Logitech DiNovo (that one has short-throw keys and a bluetooth mouse) for either.

Damn! Those are some INTENSE keyboards there btg9000! Pretty hard core, requiring no small investment of time to adjust and adapt to using them. Very interesting! Thanks for the links.

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the most far-out keyboard they ever tested was the OrbiTouch, with its two B-cup... domes. As weird as the DataHand is, at least it has a separate key for each letter. The OrbiTouch may be just the right keyboard for that special Hell reserved for the engineers who designed the iDrive or terrible flashlight UIs.
01425sz1i2451200.jpg
orbit_b1.jpg

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
LOL! I have a dozen of those old IBM M PS2 keyboards in the basement....all still work like new.

I like my Kinesis ergo keyboard with programmable keys and extra footswitch. Actually designed for the shape of your fingers, and put the most used keys with strongest digits....or you can change them to whatever you want.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I've pretty heavy fingered when it comes to typing but I find that I can type faster and more accurately if I use more force. I do tend to kill keyboards every year or so and people notice the difference when they use mine. I've never used special or specific keyboard though. I find it hard to type on anything but a full-sized standard layout keyboard because I need the space and don't tend to look at the keyboard at all whilst I'm typing so all the keys need to be where I'm used to them being!
Al

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
LOL, someone asked me about buying one of those IBM M's....so I went down and looked at them all. It really is amazing when I think how much use they got....every one of them shows no color fading, all the keys work as good now as they did. All of them have the M series year of 1984, and printed number with years in 1988-89. That really is an amazing accomplishment....but IBM always thought all the money was in the hardware, not the software, so they built Tank Keyboards....LMAO....then along came Gates.

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
And I thought I was just weird. I just LOVE the tactile feedback of my 1984 Model M. People scoff at my ancient "cast iron" keyboard. As JS pointed out, it makes it much eaiser to type than most keyboards. When I get on a roll and don't have to correct any errors, it makes me sound like I actually can type. :hahaha:

GregY

Newly Enlightened
This may come across as sacrilege here, but I *hate* the old IBM clicky keyboards. Way back in the day I had access to RS6K workstations with really load clicky keyboards, and just looking at those things made my wrists hurt.

No, they may not have been the strongest or most durable, but the keyboards with the best feel EVER were DEC workstation and terminal keyboards from the early 90's. In fact I still have a pair of VT420's that I haven't used in 6 years just because I can't bear to part with the keyboards. :)

As a side note, DEC also made the finest mice that have ever existed.

Fizz753

Newly Enlightened
I also agree, the clickys are nice. I
Also like the Gateway AnyKey (didn't have clickies though)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gateway_AnyKey

It was especially useful in HL2/GMod where I was pwning people, using its angled-arrow keys (like _\| |/_ ) which were interspersed with the normal cursor keys to easily angle away from fire. The normal cursor keys were arranged in a + pattern rather than the inverted "T". There was a center key that functioned as the spacebar.
8waycursorkeys.jpg

This is the general layout.

I still have it, but I committed a cardinal sin; had a liquid near it..:thumbsdow:xyxgun:

Hey it seems like I have seen that keyboard somewhere before... Ohh ya I am using it to type this post. :sssh: Rescued it from work one night when I worked as a Custodian for a local business. They were throwing it away so I took it home. Only needed a good cleaning. The business is a wholesale plant nursery, the office the keyboard was in was on the nursery grounds. It was dirty to say the least.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd kill for one of these.
I love split keyboards, they are much easier on the hands than ordinary square, and even ergonomic "bent" ones.
I also love buckling spring boards.
Put both things together and that'd be my dream typing keyboard (I'd still use a rubber-pad one for gaming).

Martin

Enlightened
Abt three years ago I was looking for a standard US keyboard with no stupid Windows keys. This was hard to find, US keyboards are no longer common and the old 101 key ones are double rare.
I went looking at online auctions and eventually won a lot of 20, new and still in original packing, real cheap but for personal pickup at a Stuttgart warehouse. I drove there and got them.
The brand is TRI COM and on the bottom it says "Ireland". Soon I found they are not bad at all, probably the best keyboards I ever had. My wife likes them, too. They don't click but keying on them is very good, both the feel and error rate. Today I'm still on the first one of this lot.
Now as I read this thread, I realize they look like the IBM model M. So this thread is a real eye opener to me !

USkeyboard.JPG

greenLED

Flashaholic
I replaced my original MS Natural Elite with a MS Natural 4000. I don't care for the extra bells and whistles on the 4000 model, but it's more comfortable than my previous ergo keyboard.

One reason I replaced it is because my new lappy doesn't have legacy ports for older keyboards or mice, and the PS/2 to USB adapter costs as much as what I paid for my new keyboard. How are you guys dealing with the needed adaptors on those older keyboards?

ckthorp

Newly Enlightened
One reason I replaced it is because my new lappy doesn't have legacy ports for older keyboards or mice, and the PS/2 to USB adapter costs as much as what I paid for my new keyboard. How are you guys dealing with the needed adaptors on those older keyboards?
I just bite the bullet and buy the adapter. You can get them for about $11 shipped. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812101117 What's the fuss? A good typing feel is easily worth 10x that to me.

ckthorp

Newly Enlightened
The brand is TRI COM and on the bottom it says "Ireland". Soon I found they are not bad at all, probably the best keyboards I ever had. My wife likes them, too. They don't click but keying on them is very good, both the feel and error rate. Today I'm still on the first one of this lot.
Now as I read this thread, I realize they look like the IBM model M. So this thread is a real eye opener to me !

USkeyboard.JPG

They did sell an identical soft-touch model. (That Unicomp still sells)

greenLED

Flashaholic
I just bite the bullet and buy the adapter. You can get them for about $11 shipped. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812101117 What's the fuss? A good typing feel is easily worth 10x that to me.
:ohgeez:I didn't check newegg, and that's where I usually buy my computer stuff. I forget where I checked, but it was cheaper for me to buy a NIB Natural 4000 off eFlay than getting the adapter.

The fuss? RSI, and an ergo keyboard is just one way of reducing stress on my wrists. I'm willing to type on a keyboard without that perfect touch if that means I don't get "needles" or numbness on my fingertips after a day at work (if not less).

If they could combine the perfect touch with an ergo design, I'd be triply happy.

What's up with all the extra buttons on keyboards these days? Do people really need 20 extra buttons to activate their web browser, calculator, e-mail app, access their whatever...?

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of the old IBM keyboards violate the 100mA (max) PS/2 specification so not every USB adapter will work. This one will work for sure.

Strange because IBM wrote the original PS/2 specs. Anything should work with a Microsoft keyboard though.

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recall one version of IBM keyboard that seemed to have super-strong springs so you had to press really hard to get the key to go down, then
it would let go all at once and let your finger crash into the stop.
I hated those keyboards. I liked the old DEC keyboards best.

Don't drop one of those old IBM keyboards either. I saw someone drop one onto the lab floor and it was keys and springs — all of them — flying all over the lab.