The BIG Lights

petrev

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmmm, good idea.

BTW Petrev,

did you mod your ballasts n your VT to higher wattage?

Also, that PayPal is soon to be sent to you. :cool:

Hi Flash

Not quite the same ballasts in mine so left as standard to avoid reliability and unforseen problems . . .

Cheers
Pete

ps. have the wires arrived ? ? ?

Flashanator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I took my second thorx10 outside to play/scare the neighbors:sssh:. Up until then I hadn't used my other one for some time.

I was as much shocked by the insane output, as the moment I first experienced it. You never get tired of it.:devil: :faint::faint::faint:

rasserie

Newly Enlightened
i have a query, do u guys notice BVH's 60inch CA light beam shots curved to the right in the atmosphere. is that general relativity in action or just some shaky camera work? LOL!

JetskiMark

Enlightened
I shot those pics with a Canon S2 IS on a tripod with the image stabilization turned off. The 12x zoom lens was at it's widest setting and there is a little barrel distortion on most zoom lenses when they are zoomed all the way out.

I do not remember if there was any curvature at the time I was looking at the beams. It is such an impressive sight to behold.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Like Jetskimark stated, there is a lot of barrel distortion at the S2's widest setting and a bit of pin cushion distortion at the S2's tightest setting. This is also a common trait with most fixed lens SLR and point & shoot camera's with a wide zoom range. When I desire to have the straightest lines from my S2 I zoom in to about 55-75mm, (35mm equivalent) which helps quite a bit but often I have to back away from the subject to make this work. More expensive interchangeable lens SLR set-ups usually keep distortions of any type to a bare minimum.

BVH

Flashaholic
Actually, it is a combination of the Earth's normal rotation, its presession and the Magnehelic effect that causes that. The Earth is spinning so fast that the beam needs some time to catch up..................

Last edited:

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you ever get any shots of the light shining at something horizontally? I realize this could be pretty dangerous, but I can't help wondering how far it could "throw" (throw seems like sort of an understatement) horizontally.

BVH

Flashaholic
I would love to do that in a safe place but in all the gigs I've done, none has had a long distance, clear view. I was able to shine it on a hill about 500 yards away. Yes, on the dirt hill, it was one very, very defined hot spot and kind of a orange'ish tinted, partial eclipse moon looking thing. It was very bright and intense but not to the level I had expected. Maybe because it's so large and intense, my perspective was not function correctly. Supposedly, when they were new, a person could read a newspaper at 5.7 miles.