The CR2 II (Long, Pics!)

chrisse242

Enlightened
I'm probably not the one to jump in here, and definitly don't want to diminish larrys glory /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif , but I know some guys who make their own darts out of tungsten. (Playing darts, this other stupid hobby I have). They are certainly not real pros and so I guess TI is much harder to machine.

Chrisse

RH

Enlightened
Come on guys. Let's not let this thread die! Then we'll never get this cool light.

Chief_Wiggum

Enlightened
Because it takes a loooong time to make them. If you consider that a talented machinist easily makes $50+ an hour, and that these lights take multiple hours to design, machine, and assemble...well you get the idea.

Thanks for your generosity, Larry! The CR2 II is getting plenty of pocket time. The damn thing is so small I think I'm going to replace my personal Keylux with it.

hideo

Enlightened
scramble, scramble ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif

I'm first in line for Mike's Keylux ... PP sent! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

hideo

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too was one of the lucky recipients of one of these kits. Thanks, Larry! I even though I received my kit a month ago, I just tonight assembled it. In this case, waiting was a good thing since Larry sent me the parts for the "canwich" upgrade. The canwich really made assembly a snap. I *really* like the canwich module concept. I used no epoxies or potting in the assembly so future upgrade when better emitters are available should be relatively easy. This is another example of the benefit of coordinating board design with mechanical design. Very nice light. The lumens per cube appear to be on par with a [larger] Li14430 running around 500 mA. I really like this CR2 II. IMHO, the MM lite is the ideal convertor board for a CR2 powered light. While I haven't measured it, efficiency on High is likely running in the low 90's %. I am still amazed at how much light can be had from such a small package. If this light were any shorter, it would be difficult to operate with one hand.

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doug,

wait until the first modded CR2II hits the street to beat the Li14430s size/brightness ratio /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I´m working on a CR2 LiIon setup right now for the CR2II /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Klaus

RH

Enlightened
I wish one of the lucky CR2 owners would do a review with size comparison phots, beam shots, the whole works. I hopme Larry can make this economical so we can all get one!!!

Mrd 74

Enlightened
Larry
This little light looks absolutely amazing,the ultimate EDC.I sure hope someone puts this light into production so that all of us have the opportunity to enjoy owning one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Klaus said:
Doug,

wait until the first modded CR2II hits the street to beat the Li14430s size/brightness ratio /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I´m working on a CR2 LiIon setup right now for the CR2II /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Klaus

[/ QUOTE ]
Klaus, are you serious? That's great! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif Have you found a supplier of CR2 sized Li-ion? If so, who, where? The mod itself will of course require a different board since the MM cannot handle the higher voltage of a charged Li-ion and doesn't provide the necessary overdischarge protection.

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doug,

I´ll PM you later today - have to run for now - family yelling - and YES - I have CR2 LiIons and more samples are on the way - I tested it shortly with the "stock" MMlite and the poor little cell (at 4.25V - stupid chinese still setting the EOC wrong) pushed 1.1A through it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I´m planning on running it in DD with matched LED (Vf wise) and Larry is sending me some spare parts for trials - should be interesting - the LED should take care of the overdischarge by itself similar to your much more advanced setup, choosing the right Vf will take care of not overdriving the LED initially, I have to see, I have good results with larger LiIons and DD-ing with "L" and "K" LEDs but the little cell might do OK with K or even J Vf-ed LEDs - as I have plenty supply of different Vf LEDs to work with I´m sure I can come up with a good fit ....

later

Klaus

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Doug S said:
I too was one of the lucky recipients of one of these kits. Thanks, Larry! I even though I received my kit a month ago, I just tonight assembled it. In this case, waiting was a good thing since Larry sent me the parts for the "canwich" upgrade. The canwich really made assembly a snap. I *really* like the canwich module concept. I used no epoxies or potting in the assembly so future upgrade when better emitters are available should be relatively easy. This is another example of the benefit of coordinating board design with mechanical design. Very nice light. The lumens per cube appear to be on par with a [larger] Li14430 running around 500 mA. I really like this CR2 II. IMHO, the MM lite is the ideal convertor board for a CR2 powered light. While I haven't measured it, efficiency on High is likely running in the low 90's %. I am still amazed at how much light can be had from such a small package. If this light were any shorter, it would be difficult to operate with one hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

That makes it even more 'wantable' ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Someone please sell me one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

Zvi

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
tvodrd said:
The tungsten (alloy w/6% Ni and 4% Cu) wasn't bad. I'd put it similar to 303 stainless. The Ti6Al4V was another story. (As your bezel attests. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

Larry

[/ QUOTE ]
Interesting. Must be something with the alloy composition. I used to have a few tungsten rods, 5-7 mm in diameter. Tried to smooth the ends with a file, and gave up after couple hours. Definitely much harder than any steel I've worked with back then or now.

So, is there a way to order those, or are we gonna have a raffle or what's the deal in the end? Terrific lights BTW /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
many people came out of hiding and commented on this magnificent light.... However, I haven't heard anyone say anything about the tungsten (unless I missed it).... who got that one?

Come out, come out wherever you are. Or did Larry keep that one himself.

Thanks.

Curtis

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
My understanding is that pure tungsten is very hard and brittle. I have seen equipment in operation that made coiled filaments for incandescent lamps. Prior to the bending/forming, it was heated to red hot. The alloy I used was represented as machinable and it wasn't very difficult as I was able to use HSS cutters. A "choice of material" CPF benefit raffle is planned for very soon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Larry

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Larry,
Where did you get the "silicone foam rubber anti rattle washer(s)" that you used?
I've been trying to find something just like that although its looking like I may have to settle for Dr. Scholl's corn pads.
Pat