The CR2 II (Long, Pics!)

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Back when I was a newbie and had just discovered the miracles of Luxeon, I decided to scratch build a small flashlight. I saw some room for improvement and continued here. and I'm still working on it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
site1060.JPG

Over 6 months ago I joined Doug S's team to collaborate on the Li14430.
As soon as I finished the pass-around/proto, I could see diameter/threads would be ok with a CR2. I couldn't help myself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif and made some CR2 part sets. That was the design I posted here.
While things drug along, I came up with the 2-stage switch based on Gadgetlover's concept. I gave the design to dat2zip/Wayne to make available for the fire-fly owners.
site1068.jpg

After finishing all but the split ring recess machining, I took all the centers and a bunch of small hardware (brass contact screws) to the plater and had them electroless nickel plated. I also had the bodies chemical film III coated, inside and out. I then took the bodies to a guy I know with a CNC mill, who agreed to cut the split ring pockets in trade for 2 complete lights. While the parts sat there (a solid month!) I gold plated the threads of the centers for better electrical commutation with the bat case and made the parts for the anodizing/masking racks, and finished turning down the optics. I then made a holder for having the front cavities of the centers vacuum aluminized to help bounce a few more photons out the front.
site1063.jpg

I even had time to make some parts from alternative materials. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif Push came to shove and I spent a saturday in his shop while the split ring pockets were run. Nextstop, the anodizer.
site1062.JPG

After wrapping up on the Li14430 project, I started building the Lights. After building about 16 modules which required sanding down the boards to .550" dia, I figured there had to be a better way. The LS lit above my head and I contacted Wayne/dat2zip. Thus was born the "Canwich."
site1067.jpg

Wayne was able to reduce the board diameter to .530" with the components inside a .490" diameter circle. The board rests against a .020" wide shoulder in the can. The board also has vias for .025" square header pins, on centers to go between the leads and their adjacient tabs on te LS, and center it.
Here's the exploded view:
site1069.jpg

L to R: brass split ring and bushing, batt case, 2-stage switch, Gold-plated contact screw, silicone foam rubber anti rattle washer, canwich retaining clip, canwich, center w/O-rings, cut-down NX-05, lens, silicone rubber lens gasket, and bezel. That's 15 pieces, 17 if you count the board and LS! Here's a pic with a couple other lights:
site1065.JPG

The light's diameter (.660") is about the same as a 123, and it is less than 2 1/8" long. It fits inside the Fire-fly!I built the lights with MadMax Lite boards (except for the remaining) and kj has a review up on his site. Runtime

Coming soon to an auction near you:
site1064.JPG

L to R: Ti, bronze, tungsten (heavy sucker!) brass, and HA 7075 T6.

Larry

RH

Enlightened
Weird, this is like deja vu.

Larry, would you consider letting someone else produce these for the masses like the FireFly?

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad you got it working right Larry- I'm still in for one if you decide to sell any instead of auction! They look fantastic!

Kiessling

Flashaholic
oh man!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
bernhard

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great work. That Tungsten one looks sweet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif

Curtis

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh c'mon now Curtis,

Tungsten is way too heavy and impractical for a pocket flashlight!
No one in their right mind would buy one, especially in an auction!!

Pat

PS - When is that auction going to be? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Thanks All,

The design is still too expensive for small volume production, but I am working on it! For whatever reasons, these were over 6 months in the works! On the up side, me and my anodizer got it right this time, and I got a .002" build with perfect O.D. color!

There are several in circulation and those that have them are freed from their vows of silence. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Feel free to point out their short comings, etc! Or review them objectively. (Wish I had made enough to give one to PK. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif )

(Bernie, you were the next name on the list but I ran out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif )

Larry

rick258

Enlightened
They all look great. Would like to purchase any but bronz, titanium and brass look best to me. Great work as always tvodrd. Would really like to own one of your little creations some day. Rick

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Hoo Boy! "Too" Cool? How 'bout "TOOL" Cool!!!???

I was one of the lucky few "circulators" (but the buck stopped with me!) and I must say I am duly impressed. About as bright (on High using the two-stage switch) as some of the Big lights!

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Larry! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif I was a very fortunate recipient of one of these and everything about it is flawless! Even the adjustment of the optic and resulting beam is un paralleled! The "bar" on these lights is set so high that I can only see one person raising it! After a look at the Ti unit in the picture, I am not sure the bar can be raised! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
[ QUOTE ]
evan9162 said:
There's a certian irony to having an LED flashlight made out of tungsten...

[/ QUOTE ]
I hoped nobody would see that aspect /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hey Don, you drop something? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Thanks!

Larry

Raindrop

Enlightened
I have been carrying one of the Li14430s for two weeks now as an EDC light and can't say enough about how tough the finish on these lights turned out. With the benefits of the shorter tube provided by the CR2 and the alternative materials a CR2 option with an optic would certanly go nicely with my Li14430s /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif The Ti unit would cap things out as the ultimate pocket light!

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
holy tapdancing donkeys! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

all i can do is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

i'm fortunate enough to be the recipient of a titanium cr2, and it's replacing the arc aaa's coveted spot on my beltloop! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif (the arc aaa will still be an edc, but demoted to keychain /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ).

and tungston?!
:wtf:
please tell us more about that one!

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Hey Num uh Roth,

I have a canwich kit (just add Ur LS) headed in your direction. Prolly mail it Wed. Sorry for the delay. Tungsten- true heavy metal! Drag Ur pants down! I will be donating a "choice of material" CR2 II for CPF benefit coming up soon.

Larry