The Fenix HP11 - a Review in Four Parts

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
So far, I can add no breakage on diffusers since buying them last fall.

I may have mentioned earlier: Modding them with a littie velcro (stiff and good stick) to make a lip to keep light out of my eyes, was a no brainer. Just take a little black paint to de-stick the adhesive side part that sticks out 3mm'ish.

mtang2

Newly Enlightened
Just wanted to add that the Surefire FM34 diffuser which Therrin showed in Post #49 is now discontinued. I manage to get one on the cheap, and it's an awesome diffuser - sad to see it go. If you need a bomb-proof diffusion solution and you're lucky, you might find a dealer selling it for $40, probably more now.

arizona1

Newly Enlightened
After multiple emails I got an answer from Fenix on the updated diffuser:

Finally got an answer. Fenix has changed the diffuser so we should be getting those soon. You will be able to purchase the HP11 diffuser (in the updated style) separately. Spread the word.

Freely

Newly Enlightened
After multiple emails I got an answer from Fenix on the updated diffuser:

Finally got an answer. Fenix has changed the diffuser so we should be getting those soon. You will be able to purchase the HP11 diffuser (in the updated style) separately. Spread the word.

Have they released a new model number for the updated diffuser?

Therrin

Newly Enlightened
Out of curiosity, what sort of exploration are you doing that you're using 45 cells in one trip?

I'd suspect most caving trips if that's what you're doing would be 1-2 days as I think it would be difficult to carry enough supplies into a cave to last a week, especially if you're crawling through tight spots.

Sorry about derailing the thread a tad bit earlier, but I noticed a few of you were asking about this.
I do professional mineshaft exploration. Except I *used* to use AA/AAA lights. You strap 3 or 4 lights to a helmet and use one or two handhelds and you'll find yourself going through batteries like crazy. When you're a couple hours from anything in the middle of the desert, you gotta take everything you're using for the week.

I don't have that problem anymore. I've switched to rechargeable everything, and alter my Fenix lights to run off rechargeable Li-ion packs in some cases and NiMh for others. Recharging cells off a hobby charger is pretty convenient.

I'm pretty happy with what I've seen of the HP11 after all the reviews about it on here. As I said earlier, my original HP10 is still going strong, so I know Fenix CAN make good headlamps. The HP20 was just not a good design.

All in all the reviews on it here have been great and nicely detailed. Thanks for your guys' input.

florinache

Newly Enlightened
Some more running tests:
With 2500mah Eneloops: 26h on mid level, plus 2 more hours dimming to low. After 5 more hours it stopped.
With 2700mah GP: 20h on mid level, and 5 hours dimming to low. After that the light was very dim.
Both sets of batteries were charged at 200mah.

daniel10

Newly Enlightened
Hello, Im thinking to buy one of these hadlamps. It is a good choice for mountain biking? My doubt is if it fit well on my helmet and if the cable length is long enough to carry the battery case on my backpack.

Regards from portugal
Daniel

DisrupTer911

Enlightened
The cables definitely not long enough to go into the backpack unless you extended it.

but I think it would be pretty good for riding. with the diffuser it's a nice wide even beam w/ just a little bit of spot still.

r. brown

Newly Enlightened
Hi Sub, nice review. I am strongly considering this product but I was wondering what temp range the light was operating in. I am looking for something around 3000k-4000k. Does the HP11 fall in or around there? Thanks again for the through review.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Sub, nice review. I am strongly considering this product but I was wondering what temp range the light was operating in. I am looking for something around 3000k-4000k. Does the HP11 fall in or around there? Thanks again for the through review.

No the HP11 will be cool white and I'm not aware of a warm version being available.

What would you be using it for?

kkobayak

Newly Enlightened
Great review. I own an HP-10 and like it's weight and output it's used for work. I am always looking for the next light to buy and from the comments posted, have a few good leads. Thank you to everyone for the posts

Westi

Newly Enlightened
That diffuser looks so much better. I'm glad Fenix have listened and updated the design.

I am in the UK and want to buy this headtorch with the new diffuser. I was going to buy it from torchdirect.co.uk but wanted to check their stock didn't have the old troublesome diffuser. The company was unaware of the glare problem with this headtorch and contacted the Fenix distributor in the UK twice for me. The distributor in UK denies there is a problem and that the diffuser has ever been changed....Ahhhhhhh!!!

Help, anyone know where I can get the HP11 with new diffuser?

Brilliant review BTW, thank you.

Cheers.

kj2

Flashaholic
I am in the UK and want to buy this headtorch with the new diffuser. I was going to buy it from torchdirect.co.uk but wanted to check their stock didn't have the old troublesome diffuser. The company was unaware of the glare problem with this headtorch and contacted the Fenix distributor in the UK twice for me. The distributor in UK denies there is a problem and that the diffuser has ever been changed....Ahhhhhhh!!!

Help, anyone know where I can get the HP11 with new diffuser?

Brilliant review BTW, thank you.

Cheers.
you could try edenwebshops

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix might have not informed the distributor of the diffuser change and if the UK distributor only has HP11 with the old diffuser in stock I'd avoid all UK retailers.

You can also try Flashlightshop.de: they are based in Germany but ship free EU-wide for orders over €49.
They carry all kind of spares for Fenix, by far the best stocked retailer/distributor I have ever found on the web. They are quick to ship but registered mail can vary and take up any time between 2 to 5 workdays within the EU, if there are public holidays even a couple of days longer.

Westi

Newly Enlightened
I've picked up the Fenix HP11 for £37.50 from Edenwebshops.co.uk. Thanks for the tip,kj2. Money is tight, so I am prepared to DIY the diffuser and then pick up the new one in due course if necessary.

Labrador, thanks for the tip on the Flashlightshop, it looks great for future buys.

I am pretty new to all of this stuff and would be really grateful to hear what rechargeable batteries people would recommend to go with the Fenix HP11?

Cheers

kj2

Flashaholic
I've picked up the Fenix HP11 for £37.50 from Edenwebshops.co.uk. Thanks for the tip,kj2. Money is tight, so I am prepared to DIY the diffuser and then pick up the new one in due course if necessary.

Labrador, thanks for the tip on the Flashlightshop, it looks great for future buys.

I am pretty new to all of this stuff and would be really grateful to hear what rechargeable batteries people would recommend to go with the Fenix HP11?

Cheers

I use Eneloops mostly in my flashlights. They are low self-discharge (LSD), what keeps them longer ready for the job. I buy my Eneloops at eu dot nkon dot nl (replace the dot ;) )

Westi

Newly Enlightened
I got the Fenix from Edenwebshops (thanks Kj2) and it arrived today with the new diffuser. It also came with 4 AA Energizer batteries; I am going to change them for Eneloops but still a nice touch for £37.50 (£40.50 with P&P).

With regard to the Eneloops, do I have to wait until they're totally flat until I totally recharge them? Sorry if this sounds a basic question, but I'm new to the proper use of batteries!!

Cheers

kj2

Flashaholic
I got the Fenix from Edenwebshops (thanks Kj2) and it arrived today with the new diffuser. It also came with 4 AA Energizer batteries; I am going to change them for Eneloops but still a nice touch for £37.50 (£40.50 with P&P).

With regard to the Eneloops, do I have to wait until they're totally flat until I totally recharge them? Sorry if this sounds a basic question, but I'm new to the proper use of batteries!!

Cheers

For what I know, it is not good for a battery to be "completely" empty. I charge my Eneloops when my light doesn't go into turbo-high-med mode.

Westi

Newly Enlightened
For what I know, it is not good for a battery to be "completely" empty. I charge my Eneloops when my light doesn't go into turbo-high-med mode.

Brilliant. Thanks Kj2 for all your help.