The Flashaholic's "Must-Have" List -- Cast your vote! PART 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: The Flashaholic's "Must-Have" List -- Cast your vote!

Not to go OT, but I have a feeling quite a few folks are voting for lights they own, leading to a serious misrepresentation in figures.

Can you share the factual basis for your feeling that there is a serious misrepresentation here?

kaichu dento

Flashaholic

Not to go OT, but I have a feeling quite a few folks are voting for lights they own, leading to a serious misrepresentation in figures.
I think this is just a classic misunderstanding of the term 'Must Have'. This list is not a list of lights one wishes to acquire, but rather a list of lights that each poster feels to be really important to them and as such will mostly be lights that we have. Only rarely would they be lights we don't have.

chanjyj

Enlightened

Can you share the factual basis for your feeling that there is a serious misrepresentation here?

Just as I feared, my 1 post is starting to derail the thread :(

Well, some posts like this make me wonder if that light is the only light the person owns and hence, a "must have".

Some others like the debate on 6P (as a host or not a host?) make me wonder if people vote for the 6P because they own it, and use it as a host (in that case, that doesn't make it a must-have does it? they could have used a C2 as a host but didn't)

I would much prefer if people explained their choices like this, or perhaps even like mine here.

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, some posts like this make me wonder if that light is the only light the person owns and hence, a "must have".

I guess there could be a rule that you must have 10x the number of lights you are voting for so that we can be sure you understand how good the light is compared to most - but that would be tricky to enforce, is it really worth the bother?

Obviously people shouldn't vote for lights that then don't have - how can you call a light a 'must have' if you don't have one? Also it is possible that you wont even like your 'want to have' light or that you just wont find it as useful as another light you own.

I voted for the Nitecore D10 - I've owned mine for about a year and it has been carried in my front left jeans pocket every day since it arrived. It displaced another light that I really liked and I do think that the D10 is better. I like the UI & the R2 performs very well, I also like that it can run from Alkaline, Lithium, NiCd, NiMH & Li-ion batteries of the AA size - talk about versatile! (others also run from the same batteries, but they don't also have the R2 emitter & the same piston drive switch & UI)
But it is also too much trouble to ask all posters to provide an essay on why the light they are voting for is a 'must have' to them.

I do agree on the 'host' thing though - if you have altered your light significantly from stock than it is hardly the stock light that is your 'must have' so you shouldn't be recommending the stock light to all readers of this thread. I did vote for a ROP modded Maglite - because I consider that a must have, but no one should take from that vote that I think a standard Mag 2D from their sporting goods store is something that I consider a 'must have'.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast

If the light meets the criteria described at the top of the thread, I don't think any of your concerns matter. You have the option to start a new thread with different standards if you wish, though.

Just as I feared, my 1 post is starting to derail the thread :(

Some others like the debate on 6P (as a host or not a host?) make me wonder if people vote for the 6P because they own it, and use it as a host (in that case, that doesn't make it a must-have does it? they could have used a C2 as a host but didn't)

I would much prefer if people explained their choices like this, or perhaps even like mine here.

Monocrom

Flashaholic

A quick explanation of why a light is a "Must have" should be provided along with the vote itself.

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ok, time to refresh everyone on the rules and guiding principles of this thread. Below are the rules for casting votes for the list. I am not putting any other rules or qualifications in place. If these rules are adhered to, this list will continue to be useful and true to its purpose.

That being said, I did include the reasons why I was voting for my personal "must-haves". It is helpful for others to know why I think they should consider buying a partcular light (kind of like a mini-review), and can make for some interesting reading/discussion. I encourage everyone to do the same only because it is helpful and interesting, but it is not a qualification for adding a vote.

Rules from the OP:
To fit in this category, it must meet the following criteria:
  • It has to be a "must have" for you. Meaning, of the lights you own, this one is a "must" have - and therefore you would never consider selling it. (unless of course you were in dire straights)
  • It must be currently obtainable - there are numerous lights one may fit into this category for you that are a collectable, but are not reasonably attainable. It doesn't help to tell someone this is a "must have" light but they can't actually "have" one.
  • It must be a specific light - this is a specific "must have" flashlight for you, not a favorite manufacturer or line of flashlights

Regarding the 6P and other modular lights commonly upgraded after purchase - you can find the rational and decision to include them in the Must-Have list in this post. A note to non-flashaholics and those new to the forum has been added to the OP regarding votes for these modular lights.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast

I keep looking at the results and thinking (after I think how much work Rich has put into this - thanks!) that it would be interesting to have tracked the results (votes) over time. My sense is that it has been fairly consistent over time, but that's just an impression.

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast

I keep looking at the results and thinking (after I think how much work Rich has put into this - thanks!) that it would be interesting to have tracked the results (votes) over time. My sense is that it has been fairly consistent over time, but that's just an impression.

Hi JNewell, I'm not sure what you mean. I actually am tracking the individual votes at the light level as well as by manufacturer as they are cast. What exactly did you have in mind? I keep a separate spreadsheet with a pivot table to help me keep the votes straight, so maybe I can produce what you were looking for.

Notsure Fire

Enlightened

Very excited to see the outcome as well.

CAMVDCS

Newly Enlightened

Surefire 6P LED

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi JNewell, I'm not sure what you mean. I actually am tracking the individual votes at the light level as well as by manufacturer as they are cast. What exactly did you have in mind? I keep a separate spreadsheet with a pivot table to help me keep the votes straight, so maybe I can produce what you were looking for.

This probably sounds like I have too much free time to wonder about things, but what I was wondering about was whether there'd been any changes in the top 10 or 15 lights over time. Not small, individual changes (Light X moves from 5 to 6) but large swings (Three months into a six month poll, Light X goes from nothing to #2). Or, to put it maybe more practically, were the Ra Clickies always at or near the top? But it's at best an idle sort of question so, on second thought, don't bother even trying to answer! :D

Thanks/apologies
John

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast

This probably sounds like I have too much free time to wonder about things, but what I was wondering about was whether there'd been any changes in the top 10 or 15 lights over time. Not small, individual changes (Light X moves from 5 to 6) but large swings (Three months into a six month poll, Light X goes from nothing to #2). Or, to put it maybe more practically, were the Ra Clickies always at or near the top? But it's at best an idle sort of question so, on second thought, don't bother even trying to answer! :D

Thanks/apologies
John

Actually, that's a pretty interesting question IMO, and in a "high-level" sort of way we're going to do just that. Not at the 3 or 6 month level, but at the annual level. Meaning, the "Must-Have" list will always be a living, breathing list, but I will take a snapshot of the list (Top 10) as it stands on 12/31/2010 and post it at the bottom of the OP. Then we can see how the list evolves over time. It will be interesting to see how the innovations specific manufacturers make, and the arrival of new manufactures on the scene drives changes to the "Must-Have" list.

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think we are a minority of light user's that if you were to ask the rest of the world what is a must have light number 1 would probably be a maglight :whistle:

Monocrom

Flashaholic

I think we are a minority of light user's that if you were to ask the rest of the world what is a must have light number 1 would probably be a maglight :whistle:

Majority of light users don't know any better. :thumbsdow

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast

Majority of light users don't know any better. :thumbsdow

thats a given, but they then could look down their nose at us on any one of their passions that we are mediocre in ie: coffee,knives,cars,computers,phones,houses,shoes/clothes well any thing really I suppose it just down to education/money/priorities :wave:

Monocrom

Flashaholic

thats a given, but they then could look down their nose at us on any one of their passions that we are mediocre in ie: coffee,knives,cars,computers,phones,houses,shoes/clothes well any thing really I suppose it just down to education/money/priorities :wave:

LOL

Speak for yourself. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.