The Flashaholic's "Must-Have" List -- Cast your vote! PART 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TIP AND RING

Enlightened
Re: The Flashaholic's "Must-Have" List -- Cast your vote!

Muyshondt Aeon
Photon Freedom
Quark AA

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast

OP updated with all votes! :popcorn:

AlphaZen

Enlightened

RichS, please add a vote for the LF2XT! Thank you. You are doing a great job with this thread, by the way. :thumbsup:

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: The Flashaholic's "Must Have" List

Surefire 6p (really a P60 host that's a must have but it's the definition of the class)

Definition of the class or not...

I had one. I gave it away. My Z2 simply was head and shoulders above it for hanging off my body armor as a tactical light. MySolarforce L2M was seeing most of the other P60 host duties.

Based on that the 6P isn't a must have to me. We should subtract one vote from it's total.

freejack9

Newly Enlightened

nobody mentioned the Princeton tech pulsar II red.. awesome for keychain tactical entry after a night out with the boys lol

Belstaff1464

Enlightened

Another vote for the HDS/Ra Clicky. 2nd choice would be the HDS/Ra Twisty.

Monocrom

Flashaholic

nobody mentioned the Princeton tech pulsar II red.. awesome for keychain tactical entry after a night out with the boys lol

Sorry to say, but there's a reason for that. Not with that particular model. But the Pulsar II is an oddball as far as coin-cell lights go. It costs about $12. But it's not water-resistant in the slightest bit. (I know, I owned one.) Unlike the Photon Freedom that typically costs a bit more. Plus, that model can be used as a simple on-off light; or you can access a ton of other modes. You get some good value for the money, versus a cheap coin-cell light costing about two dollars.

With the cheap ones, you get a pretty bright keychain light. If anything happens to it, who cares? It cost $2. You just buy another one. Battery dies? Chuck it, buy another one.

The Pulsar II has the quality of a two dollar light, with a price-tag close to that of the Photon Freedom. It seems like the worst of both worlds.

My post is not meant as an insult towards you. Just genuinely wondering if the Pulsar II really is a "Must Have" light.

Enl1ghtened

Newly Enlightened

My vote is for a Surefire G2. It's much easier to do work in -40C weather with a plastic light in your mouth or hands than a metal one. Tried to change a tire in the winter last year with a Fenix in my mouth, didn't go to well. :shakehead

kaichu dento

Flashaholic

My vote is for a Surefire G2. It's much easier to do work in -40C weather with a plastic light in your mouth or hands than a metal one. Tried to change a tire in the winter last year with a Fenix in my mouth, didn't go to well. :shakehead
It's easier to do with a really small light that you can hold with just your teeth, but the plastic is best for winter in the north.

Monocrom

Flashaholic

No offense guys, but a headlamp makes changing a tire a bit easier than using your mouth as a 3rd hand. I keep a Princeton Tec EOS headlamp in my car with lithium AAA cells it. Can be used as a handheld light too.

And I just realized it's a Must-Have. :ohgeez:

With apologies to the OP, I must include the Princeton Tec EOS headlamp on my short list of Must-Have lights. (Already voted for the SF L1 Cree, Nitecore EZ AA w/ older U.I., and the Photon Freedom. Going to be Uber rare indeed if I add a 5th vote.)

kaichu dento

Flashaholic

No offense guys, but a headlamp makes changing a tire a bit easier than using your mouth as a 3rd hand.
None taken, but as one who has had a fair number of headlamps, and even for a time been an enthusiastic user, I still prefer flashlights.

The main reason is probably that if I look down, then across the yard, I can do that quite well with a flashlight held in my teeth. With a headlamp, it's either aimed low for working, then to look away at distance, requires that you either lift your head up or re-aim the light so that it face outwards instead of down.

Someone needs to invent a headlamp assembly that raises it's point of aim as you raise your head and naturally lowers it when you're looking downwards.

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast

No offense guys, but a headlamp makes changing a tire a bit easier than using your mouth as a 3rd hand.

Maybe I don't have as much of a gag reflex as you or something, LOL, but holding my maratac AAA in my mouth is really easy.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast

Changing a tire by flashlight... would I rather hold a flashlight in my mouth while I work, or wear a headlamp... hmmm... don't have to think too hard about that choice! ;)

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast

I EDC a Maratac AAA and a Zebralight H501. I wouldn't have to or want to hold the Maratac in my mouth for anything. My H501 get used much, much more than the Maratac does. Most headlamps don't get used much because they are too bulky to carry in the pocket or on the belt. Not so with my H501. I store it around my neck hidden behind my shirt. When needed I just pull it out.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast

Maybe I don't have as much of a gag reflex as you or something, LOL, but holding my maratac AAA in my mouth is really easy.

Years ago, maybe still?, there was a company that made mouth guards for sports like ice hocky that made a funny whale-tail attachment that slipped over the end of a AA Mini-Mag to make it easier to mouth-hold.

There was another company that made little barrel-type slip-ons for the AAA Mini-Mags.

I'd still far prefer a headlamp but YMMV, it's a big world.

BillMPL

Newly Enlightened

Another vote for the Nitecore D10.

Chicago X

Enlightened

Wow. Great thread, with brand-happy folks discussing faves in a CIVIL manner. :thumbsup:

I would like to nominate the iTP A3 EOS. I have aluminum and SS versions of this light, and have gifted a handful of them to non-flashaholics. All recipients have been stunned by the output and quality of this wee gem. Are there brighter offerings available? Sure. Are there cheaper? Of course. Is there anything close to the quality/performance for the price, from a major manufacturer? Not that I've seen.

I would also like to vote for the venerable Mag 3D, LED or incan. This is a decent performer out of the box in LED versions, with excellent runtime. It is also a great first mod project, as well as a host for the latest and greatest hotwire bulb or LED emitter....the combinations are endless, the quality excellent, and it's MADE IN USA.

Lastly, the Mag XL100 deserves a nod here as well. Innovative UI, all benefits mentioned above, and lifetime warranty. It's a slow step in the right direction for an iconic American flashlight producer.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: The Flashaholic's "Must Have" List

SureFire A2 -- let's bump this up to an even #5.

Malkoff M61 -- and this one needs another step towards the top. I own an M60, but I'd like to weigh in on this if it's permissible as that thing is far too useful for words.

Eveready Dolphin -- surprisingly awesome. This is my go-to thrower.

Lummi Raw -- Again, surprisingly awesome. When I need a light but don't have room for one, this is what I grab.

Honorable mention to the Ra Twisty, which is kinda still available...

Status
Not open for further replies.